Car broke down in the middle of the bridge tonight

Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Viper just came back from the dealership after servicing last week. Been driven twice during the week without any problem. Took the car out tonight for some shopping and on the way home, when approaching the bridge entrance, I can feel that when giving gas, the car is not wanting to go. I can feel some sort of pressure from the exhaust..sort of like something is blocking the exhaust...the more gas i give, the more pressure it is from the exhaust preventing the car to move. Then when finally got on the bridge, the engine just died and can't restart the engine again. It all happened so sudden. Weather is cold, embarrassed by everyone watching the Viper stalled in the middle of a busy bridge and blocking traffic, and frustration due to the car just been to the dealer one week ago. Finally managed to have the car tow to the dealership and end up calling a taxi in the middle of the bridge to take me home. Anyone knows what happen? :confused:

Phil

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn Phil sorry to hear that! Which bridge were you on? Be glad it wasn't at 9 o'clock in the morning whne everyones trying to get to work and its really busy!!

Roadrunner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Did you have an engine light or just the shutdown with no indication? Could you hear the fuel pump when you keyed up? (That little buzz sound from behind you when you first key up that lasts about 1.5 seconds?)

OP
OP
P

Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got a call from the Dealer. They told me the problem is some sensor for the crank shaft and cam shaft. Apprently it's not the fuel pump problem. But still, as I'm not a technical person, I have no idea what that means. The only thing I know is, it's been rainly so heavily up here for the last month, and the sun finally decided to come out for this week. However, my Viper is now sitting at the Dealership waiting for parts. The timing could not been any better than this.

Ricky: I was in the middle lane at the Lionsgate Bridge. I instantly felt like a movie star when everyone starring at me when they drove passed me. Some people even stop and taking pictures. Geez...

Phil

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
There is a Camshaft and a Crankshaft sensor, they are separate. I would have the dealer replace BOTH for good measure, they are not expensive. Also, tell the Tech when doing the Cam sensor to be DAMN careful that the sensor seats against the raised portion of the cam gear...if he screws up...you will be without the car until they get a new sensor and clean the remnants of the old one out of your crank case!

SRTLEN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah, I know what Daniel's talking about. When the cam bolts were redone on my 04 they said the cam sensor needed to be replaced?? (car had 14km on it) Had to wait 3 weeks for the part, none available at the time!

S/CDaveNY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car hesitates at low rpm's. When I'm driving fast their is no problem but when Im driving slow it hesitates very bad... Feels like that cats are clog , can't be it though. Maybe its the sensor also ?

Robsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
same problem here as S/CDaveNY above -- I have only had my car a month or so. My '01 ACR does this -- but after it warms up, it runs fine -- no hesitation or bucking at low speeds.

My SRT does this all time a low rpms - like in heavy traffic.

Any ideas as to why it does this?

Need1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me a few years ago... I'm trying to remember exactly what the problem was and what they fixed... They tried so many things, they kept saying "oh, its this" then they would replace it, i'd pay, and it didn't fix anything. After a long run around at a few different places, I finally got it, and I believe it was the MAP sensor they replaced... God, I hope that was the correct problem, because it was replaced... Man, I hate it when you can't remember things!!! lol...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rot8te