Car feels loose after installing shocks...

TexasSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently installed some KW coilover shocks which dropped my car at least an inch. I also simultaneously went from runflats to Nitto Invos. The car now feels loose when braking from higher speeds and accelerating above 90 mph. It really feels scary, like it could easily get away from me. I read a recent thread where someone seemed to have the same or similar issue, but the thread never concluded with a resolution. I am going to get an alignment (and knew I needed to after lowering anyway) and hope it helps. Also, the front and rear driver side of my car ended up an 1/8 inch lower than the passenger side. I'm going to adjust this too.

My question(s):

What is likely to be the problem- the alignment, the difference in height on each side, or both? Or is the 1/8 inch not enough to make a difference in handling anyway?

I'm back in New Jersey (for who knows how long) and my car is home in Texas so it will be a while before I can complete these tasks, so I was hoping to get some reassuring feedback on here to rest my mind until I can get back to Texas.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used eibachs to lower mine one inch. The drivers side is also 1/8 inch lower. After the install, I did not have any stability issues. When I went to have the car aligned at at a good suspension shop, they said that the alignment was only off by a little bit.:usa:

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It has to be the alignment. One other thought - what spring rates are you running? For KWs do the springs come separately? The reason I ask is the bigger spring goes on the back. Maybe they were reversed?

OP
OP
T

TexasSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It has to be the alignment. One other thought - what spring rates are you running? For KWs do the springs come separately? The reason I ask is the bigger spring goes on the back. Maybe they were reversed?

I'm not sure about the spring rates? There is no way to mix the fronts up with the rear because it's impossible due to their difference in design...you couldn't install the fronts on the rear or vice versus if you tried. I hope I understood your 2nd question correctly.

Reaction score
The alignment or the fact that the "rake" in the setup is way off. The lower the rear of the car compaired to the front will make it loose also.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the Motons, the springs come seperate from the shocks so it is possible to miss match the springs. There was someone on here at one point who put the heavier springs in the front thinking that the Viper is the same as most every other setup. Not true.

As Mark noted it has to be in the alignment or rake.

I'm not sure about the spring rates? There is no way to mix the fronts up with the rear because it's impossible due to their difference in design...you couldn't install the fronts on the rear or vice versus if you tried. I hope I understood your 2nd question correctly.

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently installed some KW coilover shocks which dropped my car at least an inch. I also simultaneously went from runflats to Nitto Invos. The car now feels loose when braking from higher speeds and accelerating above 90 mph. It really feels scary, like it could easily get away from me. I read a recent thread where someone seemed to have the same or similar issue, but the thread never concluded with a resolution. I am going to get an alignment (and knew I needed to after lowering anyway) and hope it helps. Also, the front and rear driver side of my car ended up an 1/8 inch lower than the passenger side. I'm going to adjust this too.

My question(s):

What is likely to be the problem- the alignment, the difference in height on each side, or both? Or is the 1/8 inch not enough to make a difference in handling anyway?

I'm back in New Jersey (for who knows how long) and my car is home in Texas so it will be a while before I can complete these tasks, so I was hoping to get some reassuring feedback on here to rest my mind until I can get back to Texas.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Got the same setup, right down to the tires. No issues here. Try the alignment and see what happens.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TXSnake, glad you got them on, did you install yourself?? As Mark and others said you need to get a good alignment. For low speeds it doesn't matter but as you found at high speeds you notice. I'd slow it down if I were you till you get in aligned, you don't ant to go into a fast curve and swap ends.

Look for someone who knows vipers, like Woodhouse, Archer etc to get good spec's and then a good shop to do it correctly. (Mark set up my KW's when I bought my '06). Also look for the VCA magazine, two issues ago? Great article on how to set up an ACR which has great tips on alignment, rake, corner weightening, etc. that aplies to all Gen III's Also, when you first install I'd recommend the rebound set in the middle (I think there are 14 setings, start w/#7 then adjust slightly up or down after you have them aligned correctly.
The spring rates that came with my KW's are something like 365# front and 685# rear. I've switched to 500# front and 800# rear and got hypercoils from JonB. I'm tracking the viper and found that stock were too soft, but they'll fine for the street. Good luck! Mike

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang