Car going to John Reeds for more tunning.

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had the car back for about a couple of months now. For those who haven't followed the build, it went to RSI for a forged bottom end, Paxton, fuel system and AEM instal a few months ago, among other things. The car came back running 10lbs of boost and put down 756rwhp. Lower number then I expected but good enought to start. I was told we were robed about 100hp because of the of my 3:73s and high temp, about 100 degrees on the tuning dyno day. Also the car was tuned on 93 octane and timing was taken out so I can run 91.

I can feel how lean it is in the higher RPM range.

This time around RSI is arranging the car to be shipped up to Oregon, about 600 miles north of me, to have the car tuned by John Reed. Similar weather conditions as where I'm from and 91 octane. This time around I'm going to be going up to 12-13lbs of boost. I'm hopping for at least 850rwhp this time around on 91. What do you guys think?

Also when running an AEM I know You can have multiple tunes. I want to have a 100 octane tune done as well and be able to switch on and off as needed. Any input about this who have this similar set up?

Any other input for me before the car go's up there would be much appreciated.

OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Curious as to what you're feeling. Do you have a wideband? Hearing detonation? John is a very reputable tuner and I'm sure he'll get you squared away.

Im feeling a slow down in the rpm pull and also feeling it in the pedal. Its a VERY VERY smooth pull up to 3500RPM and then you can feel it slow down and just a slight vibration in the pedal as it moves through the higher RMP range. My friends car that has an identical build pulls so much harder through the higher RPM range, 3k+. I can only image this is because of the lean issue.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Upper RPM weakness could also be belt slippage. Have you checked your pulleys and areas on front of the engine for black dusting? Are you using a green HD Gates belt?

viper04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had the car back for about a couple of months now. For those who haven't followed the build, it went to RSI for a forged bottom end, Paxton, fuel system and AEM instal a few months ago, among other things. The car came back running 10lbs of boost and put down 756rwhp. Lower number then I expected but good enought to start. I was told we were robed about 100hp because of the of my 3:73s and high temp, about 100 degrees on the tuning dyno day. Also the car was tuned on 93 octane and timing was taken out so I can run 91.

I can feel how lean it is in the higher RPM range.

This time around RSI is arranging the car to be shipped up to Oregon, about 600 miles north of me, to have the car tuned by John Reed. Similar weather conditions as where I'm from and 91 octane. This time around I'm going to be going up to 12-13lbs of boost. I'm hopping for at least 850rwhp this time around on 91. What do you guys think?

Also when running an AEM I know You can have multiple tunes. I want to have a 100 octane tune done as well and be able to switch on and off as needed. Any input about this who have this similar set up?

Any other input for me before the car go's up there would be much appreciated.

Anton28
Do you have a "wide- band in the car? If you don't. Put one in, that way you are not guessing if it's running lean. Just to be safe.

Tiago

Viper Owner
Reaction score
with the AEM you can install a switch to be able to flip between pump gas and race gas tunes. It actually reads its "nitrous" map for race gas, but same end result :)

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tiago above has also found a good use for his collection of burned out AEM boxes. They make good door-stoppers. :)

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on your build Anton.

John Reed will get the most out of your set up. And equally as important, it will be safe.
John tuned my TT last May and I couldn't be happier. His knowledge and attention to detail are second to none. Evidence of this is how easy the car is to drive on the street. But when you need the power, there's plenty there.

Which AEM are you using?

I have an AEM serial gauge for the 1500 series if you need it. It's a single gauge that you can scroll all the engines vitals to monitor.
I liked the high/low alarms that can be set for each sensor.
Also has a AF gauge fi you have WB

OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Upper RPM weakness could also be belt slippage. Have you checked your pulleys and areas on front of the engine for black dusting? Are you using a green HD Gates belt?

Def no belt slippage. Not sure what belt RSI put on there. I'll have to look under the hood.

OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anton28
Do you have a "wide- band in the car? If you don't. Put one in, that way you are not guessing if it's running lean. Just to be safe.

I'm going to log some runs. Just ordered my AEM data cable. Will log some pulls next week. Also going to put the car up on a local dyno and get some base numbers before it goes anywhere.

OP
OP
A

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on your build Anton.

John Reed will get the most out of your set up. And equally as important, it will be safe.
John tuned my TT last May and I couldn't be happier. His knowledge and attention to detail are second to none. Evidence of this is how easy the car is to drive on the street. But when you need the power, there's plenty there.

Which AEM are you using?

I have an AEM serial gauge for the 1500 series if you need it. It's a single gauge that you can scroll all the engines vitals to monitor.
I liked the high/low alarms that can be set for each sensor.
Also has a AF gauge fi you have WB

I have that same gauge. I have no clue how to use it though. It was installed but never explained to me what to do with it. I'm going to call AEM directly tomorrow and have them walk me through it.

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can get the PDF instructions via Google for the gauge. Hopefully your wide band is wired in to your EMS so you can log A/F. Kinda hard to keep an eye on a gauge while at WOT..