Car grinding going into reverse. Help!

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All you folks with these grinding issues - if you have an aftermarket shiifter, make sure it is allowing the shifter stem to move far enough. The aftermarket shifters have adjustable stops and maybe allowing a little extra travel keeps it in gear.

pocketAA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My shifter is stock, so i don't think that is the issue. I just thought it was something with me not putting the shifter in the reverse slot all the way that was causing the problem. Gosh, I hope I don't have a serious tranny problem.

Dave149

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same problem a couple of years ago. It started to happen right after I went to shift hard into 5th, but the reverse lockout didn't work and it tried to go into reverse instead. The shift fork bent when it wouldn't go into reverse. Could this have happened to you Chad?

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My GTS has been doing this for about the last year. Stock shifter. Clutch *may* need replacing, fluid *probably* needs changing.

OP
OP
V

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My shifter is stock, so i don't think that is the issue. I just thought it was something with me not putting the shifter in the reverse slot all the way that was causing the problem. Gosh, I hope I don't have a serious tranny problem.

I have a stock shifter as well

I had the same problem a couple of years ago. It started to happen right after I went to shift hard into 5th, but the reverse lockout didn't work and it tried to go into reverse instead. The shift fork bent when it wouldn't go into reverse. Could this have happened to you Chad?

I'm normally pretty careful when shifting to 5th (for fear of hitting reverse instead). If this is what happened, it wasn't bad enough for me to even notice at the time.

If it was yellow, it wouldn't be doing that...just sayin'. :D

Robert and Dave used up the useless posts I said I'd allow. Therefore, I'm giving you a strike. 2 more and you're banned from looking at any of my ******* photos for 30 days. Actually, I'm giving you a 2nd strike just for having a yellow Viper. You got one to to, pal.... :D

Here's my update for the day:

I took it to a well known transmission shop and the owner came out and put it in reverse several times and then called his manual tranny builder (he works at a different location) and described what it was doing. The manual tranny guy agrees that it is probably a bent shift fork. I was quoted $300 to remove and reinstall the tranny, plus whatever parts the manual tranny guy ended up replacing. They would have to be take the tranny to the other shop which is an hour away once they get it out of the car. The owner said the reverse fork is in the rear of the trans, and since thats my only problem, he wouldn't recommend going through the rest of the tranny because that would make labor a lot higher.

When I left there, another shop called me back and come to find out I used to hang out with the owner's sons at the local car hangout. He said he remembered seeing my Viper before and offered to do all the work at his shop, let me watch everything and he would do all the work at cost :2tu: I'm gonna go by there tomorrow and let him look at it and hopefully I can get out of this a lot cheaper than expected and only miss a few days of ******* visits.

cyaford

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With that many miles, why not have them go through the entire tranny since it's already apart? Make it stronger!

Ps- I'll let the fact that you did not fix my door slide, for now. :D

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 04Dakota has been like this since DAY 1.

All you have to do it put it in any other gear Before going to Reverse:2tu: No big deal. I personally wouldnt think about cracking the tranny.

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Talked to Chad earlier.I just have to tell yall what kind of guy Chad is.He has offered to LET me work on his car for FREE.This even includes doing head gaskets with the trans repair.And he didnt even offer to bring the ******* girl this way I wont be distracted while doing the work.With customers like him can it get any better.I must be in VIPER Heaven.

OP
OP
V

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Talked to Chad earlier.I just have to tell yall what kind of guy Chad is.He has offered to LET me work on his car for FREE.This even includes doing head gaskets with the trans repair.And he didnt even offer to bring the ******* girl this way I wont be distracted while doing the work.With customers like him can it get any better.I must be in VIPER Heaven.

I can not deny any of this, I really am that great of a person. I've known Tom for a few years and consider him a friend, so as I told him on the phone, I'd feel guilty charging him to work on my car. I even offered to let him bolt on some twin turbos at the same time to really increase the fun factor of working on the car!

I was kinda hurt when Tom told me about this new yacht he has now and didn't offer to let me bring any ******* girls in bikinis up to NC and take it out on the water, but if he's willing to go ahead and do a complete motor build before bolting on the hair dryers, I'm willing to forgive and forget.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chad. Past tense of grind is ground.

"The gears ground when trying to put it in reverse" said the educated car owner.

Hillbilly/redneck/trailerpark protocols will probably still require you to use grinded occasionally, but remember, you're a ******'s stud first.

OP
OP
V

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I got to the tranny shop this morning and they had the same opinion that I bent the reverse fork somehow. After going over several possible fixes (only replace bent fork, full rebuild, junk yard tranny, rebuilt tranny), I told them I was gonna go home and make some phone calls of my own and would get back with them. After calling 1 of the Viper race guys and Tom Sessions, I decided I'd go for at least a rebuilt Gen 2 tranny and maybe a rebuilt Gen 3, depending on cost.

I sent an email to Jon B and he offers me a BRAND NEW Gen 3 tranny (0 miles, never been in a car) for the same price as I was quoted for a rebuilt Gen 2 by someone else! So, I ordered from Jon B and now just have to wait for it to get here :headbang: I'll post a review of the transaction in the Vendor Review forum once the tranny is delivered.

The funny thing is, on the VCA trip to Gatlinburg, TN I won a $25 Partsrack gift certificate for having the highest mileage Viper. Then, I have the tranny issue on the next VCA event. So, for the same reason that my fork got bent (me having 92k on it), I got to use the gift certificate that I won for having the highest mileage car :rolaugh: That also covered $25 of my 2009 VCA dues :D

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Too bad, but somewhat expected based on your descriptions. Get ready for somewhat worse shift quality from the Tremec mexican version of the transmission. The earlier BW were more "snickety."

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I got to the tranny shop this morning and they had the same opinion that I bent the reverse fork somehow. After going over several possible fixes (only replace bent fork, full rebuild, junk yard tranny, rebuilt tranny), I told them I was gonna go home and make some phone calls of my own and would get back with them. After calling 1 of the Viper race guys and Tom Sessions, I decided I'd go for at least a rebuilt Gen 2 tranny and maybe a rebuilt Gen 3, depending on cost.

I sent an email to Jon B and he offers me a BRAND NEW Gen 3 tranny (0 miles, never been in a car) for the same price as I was quoted for a rebuilt Gen 2 by someone else! So, I ordered from Jon B and now just have to wait for it to get here :headbang: I'll post a review of the transaction in the Vendor Review forum once the tranny is delivered.

The funny thing is, on the VCA trip to Gatlinburg, TN I won a $25 Partsrack gift certificate for having the highest mileage Viper. Then, I have the tranny issue on the next VCA event. So, for the same reason that my fork got bent (me having 92k on it), I got to use the gift certificate that I won for having the highest mileage car :rolaugh: That also covered $25 of my 2009 VCA dues :D

You'll recover a big chunk of the cost by selling your old one. After I made one good T56 from two bad ones, I sold the remains to a body shop that only needed the case. Someone commented that T56s were like razor blades... and that makes me smile every time I think of it.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually the context was that T56s are like razor blades, they wear out and you have to replace them every once in a while...

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
C'mon... You don't get that? :rolleyes:

suffering from sars or swine flu, the coconut milk cloudy at the moment :crazy2:

Ill save you the headache Dave and explain...

They can be "resharpened" ie refurbished to tip top shape!

:usa:

Actually the context was that T56s are like razor blades, they wear out and you have to replace them every once in a while...

so little facial hair that a 5 pack last me 2 yrs of daily shaving (no lie - had a white bic disposable (single blade) go 6 months once with non-daily shaving :lmao:)

chad - a noob to go with your new tranny: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFQl-rrDryM&feature=quicklist[/media]

shalom

p.s. phlegm now pistachio green :(

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang