Car impounded after being caught street racing with Nitrous??

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got my nitrous tanks filled (again) and the owner of the local speed shop told me to be careful on streets with Nitrous.

He explained that a federal law was passed that if I were caught racing on street with my car and with nitrous tanks in it (AND not necessarily even with nitrous engaged), it is possible that the cops could impound my car.
According to him, this stupidity started from CA after someone got killed and Nitrous Oxide tanks got blamed... (kind of like the black "assault weapons" :eek: ...)

Now, what is he talking about?

Is this actually true or complete garbage?

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score
In NY they can and have recently done that in queens to a group of street racers.

RedEnuff......sent you a pm

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i was in edison NJ the other day for a moving violation(which was dismissed by the way) and at the court house parking lot ive seen a BMW M3 police car that said on the side of it "seized for street racing" and a mustang with the same. here in queens years ago by JFK airport there was a mustang confiscated for street racing and still see it around once in a while.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i was in edison NJ the other day for a moving violation(which was dismissed by the way) and at the court house parking lot ive seen a BMW M3 police car that said on the side of it "seized for street racing" and a mustang with the same. here in queens years ago by JFK airport there was a mustang confiscated for street racing and still see it around once in a while.

They just legalized criminal behavior, and I don't mean the street racers! :mad: :mad: They would keep my car in one piece, that's for sure.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
The penaly for street racing should be commensurate with the crime, in more severe graduations for repeat offenders. Your car should not be summarily confiscated for such an offense. Where is the due process guaranteed by the Constitution? Its been usurped by money, insurance co. money!!! Who is running this country, anyhow? "We the people" don't vote for draconian laws like that!!! Money is making the laws, big money, auto insurance money. Pis*es me off, whats happening to the USA.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seizing a car for street racing? I think a person who could afford a lawyer would eat that up.. What's the Amendment that says "No cruel and unusual punishment?" That can be taken a long way. Fining someone 20,000, 30,000 or 50,000 for street racing?

G

Mike 99ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seizing a car for street racing? I think a person who could afford a lawyer would eat that up.. What's the Amendment that says "No cruel and unusual punishment?" That can be taken a long way. Fining someone 20,000, 30,000 or 50,000 for street racing?

G

Gerald the last I heard here in Florida, get caught with any street racing period they will impound your car, put you in jail, and $500 fine. This was suppose to be a new law they passed. Ever since I've been saving the racing for track only. I'm not 100% sure this law passed but, I don't want to be the one to find out the hard way.

Johann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A few years back when I went to exchange my oxygen/acetylene tanks at the local welding supply I was handed a printed sheet describing the laws regarding transporting pressurized gas cylinders. I don't remember the exact wording but it basically said transporting them in a private motor vehicle was prohibited; the welding supply wouldn't load them in a car/truck but merely placed them on the loading dock and left it up to the customer to heed or ignore the law.

I guess this same law would extend to nitrous cylinders, mounted or not.

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Impounding a car for such behavior is one thing...I could see that. But permanently confiscating it!? I find it hard to believe.

SingleMalt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Acetylene and oxygen are VERY different from Nitrous Oxide alone! The BIG issue with storing Acetylene+O2 is because Acetylene is easily combustible and if the oxygen tank pressure becomes critical in the presence of heat (burning acetylene), you've got a MAJOR mess on your hands! Compared to a tank of oxygen, N2O is small-time. By weight, it's only about 35% oxygen...

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
just felt like clearing this up for those confused. i was racing at atco drags last year right after installing the nitrous system. didnt take long to get unwanted attetion and be booted for times/mph i ran. the tech inspection guy gave me a checklist i had to complete for safety if i had ever wanted to run the car there again. after some conversation between us he also informed me that i would be wise to get a permit for the nitrous as well. saying god help you if you get pulled over by the cops and dont have one. he said i could be cited like with some drugs, as having in my possession, a controlled dangerous substace. i thought he was full of sh-- but he did give me a number to call in trenton, nj my state capital to apply for the permit. sure enough NO JOKE, i had to pay only $5 dollars for the application and register myself as using nitrous for purposes used for racing. there were several things to check off but my permit i received back from the capital building has my name on a small certificate stating my license to carry nitrous for racing! this story is only stating the facts for new jersey, i am not sure about elsewhere but i can tell you that street racing itself would get my car impounded here, nitrous permit or not, this way i cant get cited for possesion of a class 3 or whatever dangerous substance and face a criminal record to make a car faster! Interesting huh. so those of you running nitrous on a street car better ask around if a nitrous permit is required to save your ass by the cops! oh, and the certificate has no expiration date on it, for only $5 bucks its good piece of mind!

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Five bucks?? It's always about money. Just another tax on us. I think I'll put the soap box away now, and calm down. John

Greg D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Reminder to self......don't street race!! "

Reminder to self, Don't get caught street racing!!!

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like urban........er uh street racing legend.

Hey did you hear that terrorists stole like a thousand UPS delivery driver uniforms...........

But I read it on the internet...........

MIKE-HKS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gerald the last I heard here in Florida, get caught with any street racing period they will impound your car, put you in jail, and $500 fine. This was suppose to be a new law they passed. Ever since I've been saving the racing for track only. I'm not 100% sure this law passed but, I don't want to be the one to find out the hard way.

this is true in florida in you get caught street racing they could inpound your car for up to 30days and jail time + fines imagine the cost for the car being in the inpound lot for 30days

so you know what this has done make things more dangerous on the streets
i herd from a bunch of people with fast supras, vettes, others that they will try to make a run for it ,
no one wants there car inpounded for 30days especialy after dumping 20g's + on it to make it faster

and here in florida if you are caught over 100 mph its an automatic, go strait to jail if the cop wants to enforce it.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This morning news, Saturday, Washington DC suburbs.
Two cars crash street racing, two dead.

This is becoming common on the local news in the DC area.

Do you guy really think that things are not going to get very tough for street racers?

scoobie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't get caught with cans of whip creme in your car, if thats the case. The propellant of whip creme has always been nitrous oxide.

OP
OP
R

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Don't get caught with cans of whip creme in your car, if thats the case. The propellant of whip creme has always been nitrous oxide."

With whip cream, I am not worried about the cops, bigger consern might be the wife...

:D

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With all the club meets and the impromptu races, it wouldn't be surprising if states like CA, NY, MA, NJ, CT pass "street racing" specific legislation. They are always in the forefront of any new legislation like hands-free cellphones, etc. What constitution! What democracy! We are just license numbers and VIN#s !

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's just politics.

Things like street racing and assault rifles seem "intuitively" bad to the vast majority of the public.
Since so few people engage in activities like these, it's a no-brainer for a politician to try to ban them.

I'm not coming down on either side on this issue...just stating the obvious.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I thought it was against the law for any street driven car to have Naws hooked up, racing or not. Still I'm not a fan of the stuff so it's not that important to me.

The only problem I have with street racing is the punk ricer set who insist on redlining leaving every light. The hard-core crowd generally don't race where there are witnesses, let alone potential victims. These guys go head-to-head in McD's drive-thrus so its no wonder there are obscene laws to (attempt to) control them.

I'm still more scared of soccar-moms driving those huge SUVs with children strapped in the back (in accordance with law.) I had one lady in an Expedition almost bump me because the kid was doing something wrong out of reach.