Car pops and alot, running rich

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just curious if this is considered normal. My 05 seems to pop alot,even more when cold. But still alot of popping even after long drives when downshifting. I really dont mind it. But comparing to my buddies 04, mine pops alot. It did it before the exhaust and still does after new exhaust and cats. I know these cars are set up to run rich.

So do i leave it, is there a way to reset computer. Should I have DC reprogram?? Any questions, ideas, appreciated.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan Craigin, DC performance...I am getting ready to have mine done. I dont mind the popping, but there are other benefits to be had from a computer reprogram

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Definitely get he DC reflash. Still just enough popping to make it sound aggressive, but not excessive. Car will run smoother, quicker and cooler.

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got a new computer from DC, and it it does the job. The viper runs smoother and much stronger in mid range etc etc. Best bang for the buck.

Like valentine viper said "just enough popping to make it sound agressive."

Keep this in mind--Dan will ask you for the performance mods that you have made and plan to make, and he mentioned that the normal reflashed computer will cover most engine mods ,but it is not set for headers or no c.c's(the way I understand it- the track exhaust system with high flow cc will be ok). So if you plan to make some very extensive engine mods in the future the computer may have to be reflashed again.

This is a great company to deal with and Dan will be very helpful.

OP
OP
M

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys, I think I may try the DC reflash

Flyntgr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How can I obtain a DC reflash from Dan Cragin or someone? Is this a computer unit, or a chip, or is it a factory available part to make the air/fuel ratio correct? How does this compare with a VEC2? Which is better?

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How can I obtain a DC reflash from Dan Cragin or someone? Is this a computer unit, or a chip, or is it a factory available part to make the air/fuel ratio correct? How does this compare with a VEC2? Which is better?

You can either send Dan your existing computer for a reflash, or buy a second computer from Dan that is ready to go and swap it out. Keep the original for when you might need warrantee work. Go to www.dcperformance.com for Dan's contact info.

SSSSE YA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You can either send Dan your existing computer for a reflash, or buy a second computer from Dan that is ready to go and swap it out. Keep the original for when you might need warrantee work. Go to www.dcperformance.com for Dan's contact info.

Try His old web site www.dcperformanceinc.com

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know you will think I am nuts but if you put a very thin shim between the throttle lever and the throttle stop it will help cure this problem. I use the foil lables that I put on customers parts that have our company name on them and super glue it to the rubber stop. Do not turn in the idle screw as you can never get it back where it wasa for emissions. I also use Dan's reflashes and they do work great!

YellowViperSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The main reason i bought this car was because it didnt run smooth like everything else out there! :laugh: I would never wanna take it away or make it any smoother.

OP
OP
M

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The main reason i bought this car was because it didnt run smooth like everything else out there! :laugh: I would never wanna take it away or make it any smoother.

While thats true, Im more just concerned on if its not running or tuned just right from factory. My buddies 04 doenst really pop at all. And yesterday we switched cars. He just wnet catless and now only has Corsa's. It didnt pop at all, sounded real clean, but LOUD. Mine sounds good, but burbles and pops alot. I would have thought it to be normal as i now this car idles rough,but when omparing mine to friends its just alot different.

Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea, it's funny. My 03 SRT vert does pops, but not as much as my 06 Coupe. My coupe is poping crazy. After putting the high flow cats and the corsa, it pops even louder. Do I need to reflash the computer as well??

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Phil, Read my post above, it works. I just finished installing our ram air system in a customers car yesterday, along with spark plugs and skip shift eliminator, and he was complaining about the popping. I folded over a foil lable and glued it onto the throttle stop. No more popping! He could not believe it. Just Try It! If you want I can post how thick it needs to be.