car running sluggish, help.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You mean the smoke coming off of the exhaust manifolds? That could be the unburned fuel getting thrown into the exhaust manifolds and burning there since you were wide open. If the gas doesn't have time to burn up in the cylinders, it's going to burn wherever it can. With the throttle plates wide open, you've pumping plenty of oxygen into the mix, and the fuel doesn't have time to get totally burned up in the cylinders - so some of it burns up in the exhaust manifolds and heats them up like crazy. That white smoke looked pretty whispy, so it was probably surface oil and contaminants burning off due to the high temps.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I deal with these issues all the time, your description could be several things. Please feel free to call me and I will point you in the right direction. I could speculate, but a short call could pin it down.

Viper Tech line 310-597-6295 Shop 310-841-6996

chiefchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey markus
Let us know what the prob was. I'm curious. I too think its a plugged cat. I have replaced my cats, but not with high flows. I now think they are going to crap again. One thing I noticed was the bezel around the shifter port on the console was getting hotter than normal.

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
problem is that everytime i have seen a cat become restrictive one of the exhaust manufolds was cracked. This would cause an oxygen sensor to have an incorrect reading and the cat will plug again if you don't correct it.

OP
OP
M

markus

Viper Owner
Reaction score
problem is that everytime i have seen a cat become restrictive one of the exhaust manufolds was cracked. This would cause an oxygen sensor to have an incorrect reading and the cat will plug again if you don't correct it.

ill have a looksie while im under there. thanks for the heads up!

OP
OP
M

markus

Viper Owner
Reaction score
so evidently the car threw about 6 or 7 codes without a CEL? i didn't know that was possible. at any rate, new PCM ordered under warranty although there is no guarantee that will fix the problem according to the viper tech. part will be in tomorrow or the day after, at which point i'll let you guys know the outcome. on a brighter note, my corsa showed up today, just waiting on the cats now.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
On the cracked exhaust manifold suggestion - you can hear ANY open exhaust leaks.

When you turn the key ON the Check Engine Light turns on (it's a check - check engine light). If turning on the key doesn't bring on the CEL, then you have a brunt bulg in the dash (most likely) or a faulty circuit from the ECU

Ted

OP
OP
M

markus

Viper Owner
Reaction score
UPDATE:
tech is saying its a cracked exhaust manifold.
God bless JonB who can get me a used one @ $500!
what causes this in the first place?

OP
OP
M

markus

Viper Owner
Reaction score
thanks to all for your help in diagnosing the problem. turned out to be a cracked header which lead to fouled plugs. never was able to confirm or deny whether or not a plugged cat was involved as well because i replaced the stock setup with a belanger header/cat combo.

Garron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks to all for your help in diagnosing the problem. turned out to be a cracked header which lead to fouled plugs. never was able to confirm or deny whether or not a plugged cat was involved as well because i replaced the stock setup with a belanger header/cat combo.

Lol, was it something i said?????

chiefchad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I am going to do the Belanger set up too. Hmmmmm... fouled plugs eh? I guess 'cause the engine was running too rich ??

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
oxy sensor was probably reading the air getting sucked in through the crack and reading lean.

or ... the rear oxy sensor circuit thought that the Cat might be running HOT and dumped in a lot of extra fuel, which may have plugged it. Or the Cat was plugged and the engine couldn't run properly.