Car Shipping Precautions

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those of you that have shiped or recieved shipped cars successfully or maybe unsuccessfully can you give me advice on what to do and what not to do?
I know I need to inspect the new car with a magnifying glass before accepting.
What about the car that I am shiping? Figured I would take pictures before loading.
Thanks

Reaction score
For those of you that have shiped or received shipped cars successfully or maybe unsuccessfully can you give me advice on what to do and what not to do?
I know I need to inspect the new car with a magnifying glass before accepting.
What about the car that I am shipping? Figured I would take pictures before loading.
Thanks

Drivers generally have a form they and the person shipping fill out when loading that shows any issues with the car prior to loading. You will get this when they drop yours off also if they are any good at all. Look at the damage that they have written down first and then look closely for additional stuff. The driver will be responsible for "significant" things in addition to what was already noted on either end of the transaction.

Look under the nose because if boards are not used there will generally be scrapes and depending on how many times they have to take it off and on during the trip this could be bad. Look under the sills also for ramp damage, along with wheels scuffs from getting to close to the ramp edges.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
- DEMAND straps. Don't let them use chains.

- Take a photo of the odometer after loading it onto the transport.
It helps if you can get a shot of that day's newspaper in with the odometer.

rw99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First of all, use covered transport. That may be obvious, but I'm just sayin'...
If your car will be shipped with others on a "stacked" trailer, you want your car on top... immune from potential fluid leakage from someone else's resto project. Ensure that no loose items (extra wheels, etc.) will be in the trailer with the car. You might ask that door edges are guarded (those long, flexible plastic "c" clips). Ideally, you'd like to use someone that's shipped a Viper before, with experience loading/unloading such a low/wide vehicle. If there's a car cover coming with the vehicle, might as well have it used during transport instead of stuffed in the trunk. And, obviously, photograph everything... don't forget the wheels, or the bottom of the air dam.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
For those of you that have shiped or recieved shipped cars successfully or maybe unsuccessfully can you give me advice on what to do and what not to do? I know I need to inspect the new car with a magnifying glass before accepting. What about the car that I am shiping? Figured I would take pictures before loading. Thanks

In addition to advice above...

ASSuming a Viper is being talked about, their low-slung, wide profile stance requires special clearance precautions. Viper Wheels are probably the # 1 insurance claim issue. Many OE Viper wheels are wider than the tires. You might put EZ-peel masking tape on Viper wheel rims to ensure that if those are scuffed, you have instant proof. And some small protection.

Determine [in writing?] if the hauler will have to, or be allowed to TRANSFER the car at a hub. Or sit out of doors there! Damage often occurs in transfers. Trailer Position matters. Ask if the car will have to be loaded-unloaded-reloaded enroute: Ie to drop off or pick up other cars. UnLoading-reloading = opportunities for damage.

I dont mind an X-chain under the car, but obviously not under any painted bodywork. Chains/Straps are OK ......any professional haller will use J or T or R hooks for the frame rails, and NOT tie-down straps for the suspension or wheels, BAD.

If there is a double-deck hauler involved, lots more cars on the bottom get dripped on or damaged than those on top. Dropped parts or hardware issues. I can tell ya some Viper Glass and Hood stories, and a Porsche story (That actually invloves John Lennon's Porsche!)

Electrics: Transported cars get things left on: Ignition, flashers, parking lights, headlights, or doors and hatches ajar. Dead batteries = unloading issues. Good Battery is important.

Ask your INSURANCE Carrier what is covered during transport. IT VARIES! Document issues, and get legible signatures.

JonB~~~~~:< ~

fqberful

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's important to remember that a lot of car haulers can *not* get a Viper on the top rack because of the angles and the Vipers low stance. You may not be able to get it a ride on top which would be optimal.

If the hauler has some class and is used to hauling high end cars, they'll protect it.

As above, wheels are a big deal and this is most likely where you will find physical damage. Inspect here carefully.

Also, get the person you're buying the car from to give you the mileage on the car at the point it was loaded. Some of these haulers like to play around at your expense.

Beyond that, make the hauler deliver the car at a place you choose -- provided a truck can go there -- and take a lot of time and inspect thoroughly EVERYTHING. Dirt, grime, etc don't count, it'll get dirty even on a covered ride.

I've shipped several cars in the past few years and haven't had any real issues except a dinged wheel. The hauler paid to replace it, no problem.

--FQB

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
- DEMAND straps. Don't let them use chains.

- Take a photo of the odometer after loading it onto the transport.
It helps if you can get a shot of that day's newspaper in with the odometer.
What a great idea on the photo. I will be moving in a couple of years and very nervous but will follow the truck to my new home.

dayABR11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does your normal car insurance cover the damages in transit or would you have to buy the shipper's insurance?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i prefer chains over straps if they are used correctly like jorgensen said. straps especially if new will stretch and if not checked often, can cause a serious problem.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take Photos of the wheels, check tires too, in fact take photos of everything! When I picked up my car at the warehouse after having it shipped to the UK I found a nail had caused a puncture in the front tire :( I never did get any monies for it :(

It turned out that they choc the wheels with wooden blocks and nail them down.

Mike 123

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I now only use trucks with the lifts on the back vs the ramps. As stated earlier with the ramps the nose of the car almost always get scraped.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i prefer chains over straps if they are used correctly like jorgensen said. straps especially if new will stretch and if not checked often, can cause a serious problem.
I've seen lots of post-transport damage from chains show up AFTER the vehicle has been delivered and the driver is long gone.

Then again, parts for these cars are pretty cheap.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery