Careful with the gas cap

GOT VENM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was driving today and a check engine light came on I brought it to my local dealer and found out that the gas cap was loose,Apperently this causes a check engine light to appear.Make sure the cap is on tight.

Socrates

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<<<Ok, who deleted my post? It was just a joke. Geeeeeeeeeeeeeez!!>>

No soup for you! :ooo:

redsrt03

Enthusiast
Reaction score
According to my service guy, the check light will come on after you've driven about 12 miles with the gas cap not on properly.

Once you tighten the gas cap on, you have to drive it another 12 miles or so before the light will clear.

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To reset the evap system test has to run successfully. That test is not performed continuously, but is performed after a start after a soak period (like over night). In effect a leak detection pump creates a vacuum in the fuel system and measures the rate of decay.

So the simple answer is yes a dealer can clear the code. But is should also disappear after a few days of normal driving. No harm nor foul in the meantime.

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
All cars are supposed to give a "check engine" light if the gas cap is not on properly. EPA makes it so. EPA does not want gas fumes coming out causing pollution. A sensor detects proper tank pressure to insure the cap is on tight.

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"All cars are supposed to give a "check engine" light if the gas cap is not on properly. EPA makes it so. EPA does not want gas fumes coming out causing pollution. A sensor detects proper tank pressure to insure the cap is on tight."

For a while now.......

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96