Carmel, CA..... What would Viper life be like there?

Reaction score
Northern California region of VCA http://norcal.viperclub.org/

Laguna Seca is the local track 10-15 minutes from Carmel.

N.CAL. VCA Had dinner Sat. night in Carmel with the World Challenge drives and Dodge/SRT MotorSports.

Weather allows for 12 months of use. There will be some wet weather days Nov. to April, May to Sept. 99% dry.

Edward 96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Moved from So Cal to Monterey in '93. What's it like? BORING
Like living on an island. Seems like everything is 90+miles away. Except for Holy Week(August Pebble Beach Circus), which I truly enjoy, nothing happens. You can only drive down the coast to Big Sur only so many times. Lots of fog/overcast. Much cooler temps compared to Newport Beach.
We bought a condo on Cliff Dr in LB 1 1/2 yrs ago, so I get my fix at Crystal Cove.
Now, on a possitive note, it is beautiful. Just not a lot to do.
Ed

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I could live there just to be near Laguna Seca. Although, a few years ago they imposed sound level restrictions which really *****.

Edward-how's it going!? Still have that Daytona?

Backdoc7

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave, damn.. newport, maui, carmel.. you have a hard life! Carmel is awesome.. never lived there but have some family there.. my sister lived there for 3 years.. Edward might be right.. Im sure it's a little slower paced but I can't think of anywhere i'd rather live. It's beautiful as hell.. All you do is work anyway.. might as well have a nice drive home! Yes, i think its Viper Friendly. Much more so that the hotter places you've considered in the past (Vegas, Scottsdale).

Let me know when your up there. I will be knocken at your door for a visit!. late, Dr. Bill.

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live on across the street from laguna Seca, off highway 68 about 1/2 way between Salinas and Monterey.

I moved there from LA back in 1989 and no way will I ever go back.

We have plenty of Vipers around and (beside one 1 the best track in the world) some of the best "driver" roads.

The nice thing with the Peninsula (Carmel,Monterey,Pacific Grove,Seaside) is that,being a very touristic area, you have a lot more hotel,restaurants, shops,golf courses etc, than the population size would let you to believe.

You have a LOT of performances and classic/muscle cars (including at least 3 original 65/66 427 shelby Cobras) and the local polices and CHP are pretty cool (especialy with the locals)

The life is very laid back with a "small town" feeling but with almost all the amenities(sp?) of a big city.

Ed is correct,if you live by the coast,the weather can get rather damp and foggy but, if you live in the sunbelt (inland starting about 5 miles from the coast) the weather is totally different with a lot of sunshine and warm,not hot, temperature.

We are the 2nd highest priced real estate market in the country so, be prepared to a "reality check" with the median home value being close to 1M.
If you need any more info, don't hesitate to contact me.

Luc.00GTS

PS: I also run an opentrack/racing club: NCRACING.ORG.

Backdoc7

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Newport (Dave) used to golf for a living so im sure he will be making the move. That may have been all he needs to hear. Newport, lets get together for lunch before you move! Dr. Bill.

(Don't tell him it's 600 bucks to golf at pebble).

OP
OP
N

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for everyones input!

Being in the tourist industry, I get to travel and live in many great places!

I had a GREAT job offered to me there.

Sadly, I turned it down.

I have to agree with Ed,

Moved from So Cal to Monterey in '93. What's it like? BORING
Like living on an island. Seems like everything is 90+miles away. Except for Holy Week(August Pebble Beach Circus), which I truly enjoy, nothing happens. You can only drive down the coast to Big Sur only so many times. Lots of fog/overcast. Much cooler temps compared to Newport Beach.
We bought a condo on Cliff Dr in LB 1 1/2 yrs ago, so I get my fix at Crystal Cove.
Now, on a possitive note, it is beautiful. Just not a lot to do.
Ed

My wife and I have tried two islands in the past ( Maui, Oahu.)

We felt the same way about Carmel. Just not enough to do to keep our interest. Maybe it is our age ? (38, 29.)

Sorry Dr. Bill,
I guess you will have to come visit on the coast a little while longer. :)

Although, we are going to check out some jobs in the Palm Desert area next week. ;)

( By the way Pebbel Beach is only $425 ;) )

Onward and upward!