Cat Back with X-pipe HELP????

VENOMIS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I ordered a 3" catback with the X-pipe from Parts Rack John B.(extremely nice guy by the way). Everything arrived on time as expected. I pulled the exhaust out of the box and was admiring how big the 3" tubes are compared to stock. I was thinking to myself "WOW" this is gonna flow good. I then was looking at the "X" part of the exhaust. Im scratching my head going huh? To me and I could be wrong and that is why im on here asking, the X is to blend the tones of both banks. However the X itself where they are welded together is only about 3" in diameter about the size of one tube roughly. I called John and asked him about this and he stated that I am the first one to ask about this. Basically to me it seems like a restriction or bottle neck there at the X. John was saying something about how the little bit of back pressure makes better torque further down in the exhaust system. He also said that if the X was closer to the headers it would hurt performace a bit but being back tword the end it was ok. Im confused since my car right now has a rear muffler delete and somebody just welded 2 pipes in there. Has anyone done any kind of flow on these exhaust systems or done a dyno with a 3" catback with a X versus with out? It seems like when the 2 tubes were welded that they could have been a little wider and not cause a restriction at all and still balanced the 2 cylinder banks. I also have R/T HF cats and Belanger headers. I am far from from the end of my mods and will probably top it off with a paxton when all the other little mods are done(smog legal in ca). I am going to install the whole exhaust system at once. Thanks for any input or opinions in this.

Last edited:

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
1. in the typical v-8 the goal is to have the crossover (x or H-Pipe) as close to the header collector as possible to benefit from a scavage effect for a power benefit.

The Viper V-10 is not typical in its firing pattern and when a crossover was put between the headers on a motor on a dyno there was not an increase in power per Viper Quarterly article in about 1997. So not having the space to even put a crossover on a Viper between the collectors is not an issue.

The factory rear muffler in your GTS actually combines both banks where most cat-back systems separate them.

The X-pipe that far back in the system will have no power benefit but will change the tone a bit - and some may tell you they hear a "whistle" as you blast down the 1320.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon is right. You'll be just fine even with your Paxton mods down the road. I switched from an X-pipe (B&B) catback to a Belanger h-pipe catback and there was no change in power/torque. But the sound from the Belanger system is just soooo much better. There are many Viper owners here that run forced induction with an x-pipe catback. If anything, the restriction will be your cats. Did you go with ceramic or metallic cats? Jon recommends metallic cats for forced induction applications.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had the X pipe in my Random Tech exhaust system. 600rwhp Roe car. It idled loud and was pretty quiet compared to most exhaust, especially the Corsa track exhaust I have now. I liked it.

Since the cylinders fire sequencially, the exhaust pulses take turns going through the 3" X. So there's not enough restriction to worry about. It does sound nice without being too loud.

Serious exhuast technology is what you're getting with all the engineered exhaust systems. Even the stock Viper exhaust is a marvel of high performance. In the older cars there used to be 50-100hp in upgrading the exhuast, but not anymore. I used to gain .4 sec. in the quarter mile by unbolting my headersback eaxhust. Now I'd be surprised if there was .2 sec. gain with my Viper.

Ted

Burntrubber

Viper Owner
Reaction score

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ted - You have the sound I am looking for, can you give the exact set-up. Please...TIA!:2tu:

The 98 Roe 600rwhp 98 GTS has stock headers, Roe hi-flow cats and Random Tech exhaust (SS I think).

The 01 Roe 720rwhp has Edelbrock 1 3/4" headers, No cat and Corsa track exhaust (mildsteel I believe).

Ted

Burntrubber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The 98 Roe 600rwhp 98 GTS has stock headers, Roe hi-flow cats and Random Tech exhaust (SS I think).

The 01 Roe 720rwhp has Edelbrock 1 3/4" headers, No cat and Corsa track exhaust (mildsteel I believe).

Ted

The 01 is what I was looking for, i appreciate it! Stay warm:lmao::D:2tu: