Cat Delete ?

vipergtspa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a few quetions about deleting the cats and hoping you guys no the answers.

#1 If I delete my cats and dont get the simulator or have the sct tuner and get the check engine light will it hurt anything to run the car until I can get the tuner, like I have read that the car will run rich, is there anything else that I should be concerned about.

#2 Does anyone have the mesurements for the pipe I would need to put in place of the cats, like if I went to an exhaust shop and had them cut me pipes so I could clamp them in place of the cats. I was thinking of doing this to save some money because these days moneys is tight which leads me to my next quetion.

#3 Is this really worth doing over just saving my money and getting some highflow cats. I am looking to improve sound, gain some extra hp, lose the cabin heat, and save my side stills.

The car is a 2000 gts with a muffler delete and k&n air filter kit.

Thanks for any help in advance
Jeff

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You shouldn't get a CEL from cat delete. The pipe is 2-1/2" nothing unusual about it. I would get the HF cats. If you do the delete, the noise might get old, the smell might get old, and you can actually loose performance as the engine needs some back pressure. However, you'll never get tired of the flames on decel :D

OP
OP
V

vipergtspa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You shouldn't get a CEL from cat delete. The pipe is 2-1/2" nothing unusual about it. I would get the HF cats. If you do the delete, the noise might get old, the smell might get old, and you can actually loose performance as the engine needs some back pressure. However, you'll never get tired of the flames on decel :D

Thanks for the quick response dave,

I should also say that I was going to do this my self and wanted to know the size of the pipe so I can just go to a shop and have them cut me the right size and another reason I wanted to do this very cheap is if I dont like the sound and smell I just put it back to stock until I have the money for hf cats.

OP
OP
V

vipergtspa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
what are your future plans for mods ?

ever going to SC or TT ?

Would like to do a basic sc later down the road but that will be the very last mod I would do and the way things are going now it will be a long time before that happens so for right now just basic boltons, I was thinking of doing this (cat delete) then saving up for the sct tuner and short throw shifter for my next mods then headers.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will eventually get a CEL light. At least buy a code scanner that can turn the light off. Driving the car with the check engine light on regularly is foolish.

Black Moon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will eventually get a CEL light. At least buy a code scanner that can turn the light off. Driving the car with the check engine light on regularly is foolish.

I am soooo lucky so far no codes and no cats (about 5,000 miles).

happy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i got a check engine light after doing mine i also just bought a sct tuner plugged it in cleared codes beeen of since!!

OP
OP
V

vipergtspa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great info guys keep them comming, and my next mod is for sure going to be the sct tuner after this I just wanted to know if the check engine light would hurt anything until I am able to get it.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have had a CEL since last winter (i know what the cause is) , as long it is the only one, youre fine..... dont sweat it

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I deleted cats and had no seat of the pants increase... I actually did have high flow cats but one got gummed up from a failed O2 sensor. No muffler so it is F'n loud and it stinks. The only reason I didn't get another set of HF cats is because I wanted headers/catback on first.

OP
OP
V

vipergtspa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i have had a CEL since last winter (i know what the cause is) , as long it is the only one, youre fine..... dont sweat it

So I should be good with the code for a while until I can purchase the sct tuner that is good to know because that was my main worry.

Thanks Jeff

happy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i dont know hat it is but it did come on a few hours after the cats were cut out; i plugged the sct in and it came up P something lol i just hit clear codes been off since!!

GViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a way for this to be done at home?
Would love to do this without going to an installer

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think they are getting the catalytic converter efficiency failure code but not sure.

That should be the correct code. The PCM will check the upstream O2 against the downstream O2. If there is little difference in voltage it assumes the Cat has failed or is not operating efficiently. The Sims fool the PCM into thinking there is a difference. If you remove the Cats I would use the Sims. On the other hand you might want to just cut out the downstream Cat and replace it with a straight pipe. This will reduce sill heat but will still help eliminate smell while reducing back pressure. I had an Exhaust shop do the mod. The high flow Cats sometimes fail with supercharger applications because of the increased richness of the tune.

OP
OP
V

vipergtspa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That should be the correct code. The PCM will check the upstream O2 against the downstream O2. If there is little difference in voltage it assumes the Cat has failed or is not operating efficiently. The Sims fool the PCM into thinking there is a difference. If you remove the Cats I would use the Sims. On the other hand you might want to just cut out the downstream Cat and replace it with a straight pipe. This will reduce sill heat but will still help eliminate smell while reducing back pressure. I had an Exhaust shop do the mod. The high flow Cats sometimes fail with supercharger applications because of the increased richness of the tune.

What do you mean by just remove the downstream cat? I thought there was just the cat and a resonator.