Cat Removal

thebigsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes the pods may not get as hot, but if any of you guys actually use your Vipers as a car:

1- The noise is very loud and gets unbearable with a passenger.
2- Your clothes smell of fumes after driving a while.
3- People driving behind you will complain to you that your car smells.
4- The motor on occasion, may emit plumes of black smoke throughout your entire commute.
5- If a 6" catalytic converter could've done the job, why would Dodge put those big ones in?
6- It's illegal.

Conclusion : Some temptations should be left as such. Don't mess with the Zoltan.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This topic HAS TO BE one of the most easily and thoroughly SEARCHABLE and detailed topics on the site.

Right down to YOUR conclusion:

I gather then, cat removal is mostly for the heat, a lot bit of sound, and a little bit of power. So if I gather correctly, high flow cats would be a better choice if I wanted to play a little, otherwise leave it as is

And HEAT REDUCTION = PAINT PROTECTION vs discoloring, especially in the vulnerable colors

Frankster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JonB
I did a search of this forum for just this topic and found allot of info.....just not the specifics to my questions about power loss and sluggish reving. One thing I've noticed, there's allot of posts suggesting people do a search before posting on a topic. Only problem is I don't get the info I need most of the time or it is very difficult to extract the info from subjects that can run hundreds of pages with thousands of posts.

Of course sometimes I get exactly what I'm looking for but most times I don't. I guess it's a result of the huge database of information represented by this forum, the non-standard topic categorization, the sometimes rambling nature of the threads and how all this combines into a database that is difficult to exploit given the current search engine. It's just my 2 (FWIW):eater:

RobZ

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Actually the popping noise on decel with cats removed is called after fire. Backfire occurs in the manifold. The after fire is just unburned fuel that ignites from being exposed to the atmosphere inside the exhaust.

EXACTLY. I was going to explain this but I'm glad i read through all the posts first so I didn't sound liek a boken record.

And FWIW my GTS still has a nice popping on decel even with the stock cats in place. Now I'm curious to see how much louder it is without them......

Rob

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the sound would be alot more noticeable on the RT's vs the GTS. With the exhaust out the back I didnt notice a big difference in sound. Just has a nicer rumble to it. As far as smell or guys behind you complaining.... I have never had anyone even mention it. I dont smell it, my clothes dont stink, my sills are WAY cooler and the gravy is that it actually adds a little HP. Go for it. If you dont like it you can always just put them back in or go for high flows. I would never go back to Cats.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes the pods may not get as hot, but if any of you guys actually use your Vipers as a car:

4- The motor on occasion, may emit plumes of black smoke throughout your entire commute.
5- If a 6" catalytic converter could've done the job, why would Dodge put those big ones in?
6- It's illegal.

Conclusion : Some temptations should be left as such. Don't mess with the Zoltan.

I think the DOT or EPA or somebody says they have to last like 7 years or 100,000 miles or something like that. Over engineered for needed life expectancy.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the DOT or EPA or somebody says they have to last like 7 years or 100,000 miles or something like that. Over engineered for needed life expectancy.

Bah...I laugh at the DOT/EPA...bwahahahahahahahahaha! :rolaugh:

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score

my car is catless and i have never noticed any of this. does this apply more to cars with side exhaust than mine that has rear exhaust?

Grant

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I been driving cars without cats for years now. I must say I'm confused as to why taking cats of the Viper seems so much more extreme than other cars?

1, why not use a more effective muffler then? They are all straight through, and so aren't restrictive. Catless C5 and C6s aren't that loud at all (I daily drive one) unless you put insuffecient mufflers on them (then they can get ridiculous). 2 & 3, Some people can notice the difference in smell of a catless car, but I've never had anyone behind me be able to tell the difference. 4 sounds like a serious tuning issue.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I gather yellow is not one of those colors.;)

Robert

As noted all 3 shades of Yellow ARE in the most vulnerable. They turn an interesting Fall shade of "TOASTED MARSHMALLOW GOLDEN BROWNISH"

Also most vulnerable white, silver..... Even RED and BLUE turn a bronzy-tint....

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As noted all 3 shades of Yellow ARE in the most vulnerable. They turn an interesting Fall shade of "TOASTED MARSHMALLOW GOLDEN BROWNISH"

halloween is over Jon, stop scaring the bees :omg: :omg: :omg: