Challenger SRT8s are Fast

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But not near as fast as a Gen 4 Viper :D Had a silver Challenger pass me on a 4 lane road leading up to the freeway in Escondido and it was mutual admiration, thumbs up from both of us. He turns on the freeway onramp to get on I-15 North and so do I. He waits till I get around the corner and then hammers it. I knew he would and was all over him like a cheap wool suit in the summertime ;). Had to let off the gas to keep from driving up on him and let all the way off @ 90 and let him go. Caught up on the freeway and again :2tu: Those SRT8 Challengers are still pretty fast.

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes they are fast. My son has a new red one and I got to drive it when we visited him in Vegas a few weeks back. They're fast but even though they have 425 HP they're heavy. I think he said his weights 4700 lbs.

Last edited:

Goehner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are not bad but do have a weight issue. Add some stroke and supercharger and the fun begins.

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good read but before careful with the street raceing threads.I have been threatened to be banned because of it..Sounds like a blast!

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 07 Charger SRT8 is about 4400 lbs with me in it. And yes, I'm always surprised at just how fast it is. I have driven it literally right after I've parked the Viper, and it still impresses me. And, the exhaust sound, with the Zoomers, is glorious.

Ain't a Viper, though!:drive::D

OP
OP
H

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good read but before careful with the street raceing threads.I have been threatened to be banned because of it..Sounds like a blast!

Wasn't street racing :nono: just following at a good pace

Did have an 05? GTO want to test me though. I didn't bite.

MbnViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if this one makes it i wont mind parking one next to my Viper :D

You must be registered for see images

snakem04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran up against a charger srt-8 on the way back from jersey last week and your right they are fast. It surprised me i thought i would totally own him but he held with me until i actually pushed the pedal all the way down. We did that 3 times. Even though i beat him everytime we both loved it and we where giving thumbs up and yelling out the windows to eachother.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The correct weight is 4200 lbs. and my 09 is pretty fast with Corsa cat back, CAI and tune. Great dailey driver too with awesome seats. A diet would really help.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think they weigh in around 3800 lbs? Probably have better gearing than a Viper though.

I drove one and I thought it had worse gearing than the Viper. I had to constantly shift or the engine would die at the redline. Much different than a Viper. It revs a lot quicker and it wasn't near as much fun. It just did not have that Viper torque feeling like it was going to run away from you. I was going to trade my Viper for one and after I drove it I said "No thanks". The interior seemed very generic also.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So, quite a few of us own SRT8s of some variety. Yes, the Cherokee SRT8s were definitely quickest off the line at the SRT Experience I attended, due to the 4wd hookup. However, I believer either the Charger or Challenger will win the quarter.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Jeep has a 3.73 diff. The stock automatic diff for the Challenger SRT8 is 3.06. With the Jeep's 3.73 diff and the AWD, it's really no contest.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
got a challenger srt-8-- fun daily driver for shure,plenty of power to play with

Viktimize

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Jeep has a 3.73 diff. The stock automatic diff for the Challenger SRT8 is 3.06. With the Jeep's 3.73 diff and the AWD, it's really no contest.

its no challenge off the line. but all that extra rotating mass, just slows it down in the 1/4. all the LX cars beat the GC in the 1/4.

i have the 300c SRT8. and its got a vortech s/c, corsa, HFC's, 1000hp axles, etc. the viper is still a faster car on paper, but i was able to beat a Gen3 by a car length. he mustve got a crap launch i assume. i love my SRT8, its the easily the best DD i could imagine having. but im selling mine, to get a viper. because i just need anything practical, and i absolutely love how gnarly the viper is.

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless you are doing better than 0-60 in 4.48 and 12. 91 in the quarter you wont smoke mine in a get R done jeep.:lmao::lmao:

Well, Here's mine with bolt-ons only!
0-60 in 3.44 and 12.16 in the quarter

You must be registered for see images attach

CLICK ON THIS PIC FOR THE VIDEO OF THE 12.16 RUN

Perfect for an all Year round DD, especially when Mr.Winter comes and all the Hot cars go hiding. GRRRR!!!

Last edited:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi. There is no way an SRT8 Jeep with just the bolt ons you show above makes the rear wheel numbers you are showing and a 3.44 second 0 to 60 time. At 563 RWHP assuming an 18% driveline loss, you are making 686 flywheel HP. That is 266 HP more than stock. Give it up. What else is under that hood? Maybe a little NOS perhaps?

Bob

Well, Here's mine with bolt-ons only!
0-60 in 3.44 and 12.16 in the quarter

CLICK ON THIS PIC FOR THE VIDEO OF THE 12.16 RUN

Perfect for an all Year round DD, especially when Mr.Winter comes and all the Hot cars go hiding. GRRRR!!!

Last edited:

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Hi. There is no way an SRT8 Jeep with just the bolt ons you show above makes the rear wheel numbers you are showing and a 3.44 second 0 to 60 time. At 563 RWHP assuming an 18% driveline loss, you are making 686 flywheel HP. That is 266 HP more than stock. Give it up. What else is under that hood? Maybe a little NOS perhaps?

Bob

Claude's Jeep is a well known factory freak over on the Cherokee SRT 8 site with plenty of documented 12.9x-13.01 runs box stock. With bolt on's, I wouldn't bet against his stated time's.

Last edited:

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bob

Bob, those HP # are from my Sig for the 08 Viper. NOT THE JEEP.
The Jeep has been a stong factory runner from day one, running fastest stock Jeep in '06 at 13.02, and then with bolt-ons only :
Headers, no cats, Borla exhaust, CAI and a mean Tune it did 12.16 in Neg DA, corrected time was 12.29.
Those are known facts on the Cherokee SRT8 forums for a few years.
The Official ET/MPH List - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

shooter_t1

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Unless you are doing better than 0-60 in 4.48 and 12. 91 in the quarter you wont smoke mine in a get R done jeep.:lmao::lmao:

Unfortunately, I traded my 06 Jeep SRT 8 in to Bernie for a 2010 Wrangler for my wife 3 weeks ago, as I would have taken you up on that one. Some of my fondest memories of my Jeep involved racing the rolling chicane's called Challenger:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob, those HP # are from my Sig for the 08 Viper. NOT THE JEEP.
The Jeep has been a stong factory runner from day one, running fastest stock Jeep in '06 at 13.02, and then with bolt-ons only :
Headers, no cats, Borla exhaust, CAI and a mean Tune it did 12.16 in Neg DA, corrected time was 12.29.
Those are known facts on the Cherokee SRT8 forums for a few years.
The Official ET/MPH List - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Hi Claude. Is the video of a run on a quarter mile strip or a 1000 foot strip? The 13.02 run is well within a strong stock car's capabilities when brake loaded and launched. But to go from 13 down to 12.26 with only the bolt ons listed above, seems impossible unless you really leaned out your tune and took some significant risk on blowing that engine to the next dimension. If you have a dyno run of your Jeep with A/F shown please post it.