changig out springs and caps...stuck

2easy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gents,

Those of you who have lowered your cars can help me. Im using stock and switching out springs and caps to lower the car. The stopper on the shock shaft is stopping me from pulling the caps off the shock. I Have compressed the spring but still cant get it out to free the cap, then remove the spring etc....?? Should this be cut off to get the cap off and then go without?? Car is an 03 by the way.

Thanks

intense5.5

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just push the stopper down the shaft out of the stock shaft. They get stuck there. Same thing caught me on the 1st corner I did when I did mine.

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paid a local shop $30 to handle all that. I would suggest that to you. Most spring compressors are junk IMO.

anton28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paid a local shop $30 to handle all that. I would suggest that to you. Most spring compressors are junk IMO.

I second that. Pulled the parts off and took them to a local shop. Had them change the springs and caps for 50bucks.

OP
OP

2easy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I second that. Pulled the parts off and took them to a local shop. Had them change the springs and caps for 50bucks.
Well for $30 to $50 bucks I would. I went to two different shops and the price they both quoted was around $260!!!!! Thats with them off the car as well. Unreal...viper tax I guess?
So after that, I rented a strut compressor for free, (wierd at canadian tire, you pay for it and if you return it within three days the rental is free??) and changed them out. Thanks for the help intense5.5, worked after I pushed the rubber stopper down the shaft as you stated.
While Im yapping, Ill update where Im at with the car;

-Lowered with springs and caps
-Blacked out stock 10 spokers, and have pushed them out with spacers.
-1080 3m wrap on bezel and console, and so far one of the two door skins
-I decided to do the door speakers while I was there, and have purchased the Kicker ds 60's for the doors, then I ordered the kicker sub, and amp. Wierd, you start with one little project and it balloons into several....but man I love doing this stuff!

To do......????? (Hood and blower....) I know post pics,.....I tried but the pics are to big to post?? Reading up on how to do this in the "hey dummy, this is how you do it" section...lol

Viktimize

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well for $30 to $50 bucks I would. I went to two different shops and the price they both quoted was around $260!!!!! Thats with them off the car as well. Unreal...viper tax I guess?
So after that, I rented a strut compressor for free, (wierd at canadian tire, you pay for it and if you return it within three days the rental is free??) and changed them out. Thanks for the help intense5.5, worked after I pushed the rubber stopper down the shaft as you stated.
While Im yapping, Ill update where Im at with the car;

-Lowered with springs and caps
-Blacked out stock 10 spokers, and have pushed them out with spacers.
-1080 3m wrap on bezel and console, and so far one of the two door skins
-I decided to do the door speakers while I was there, and have purchased the Kicker ds 60's for the doors, then I ordered the kicker sub, and amp. Wierd, you start with one little project and it balloons into several....but man I love doing this stuff!

To do......????? (Hood and blower....) I know post pics,.....I tried but the pics are to big to post?? Reading up on how to do this in the "hey dummy, this is how you do it" section...lol

Good ol Alberta advantage. If you're in need of specialty tools in the future, Partsource also rents out a lot of stuff for free. You just leave a deposit, which you get back when you return the tool.

98intrigue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same problem figuring it out when I first lowered my car. Shops also quoted me $40-60 a shock to decrompress the springs WITH the shocks already off the car.

OP
OP

2easy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good ol Alberta advantage. If you're in need of specialty tools in the future, Partsource also rents out a lot of stuff for free. You just leave a deposit, which you get back when you return the tool.

Good to know, Thanks!

OP
OP

2easy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same problem figuring it out when I first lowered my car. Shops also quoted me $40-60 a shock to decrompress the springs WITH the shocks already off the car.

I thought that was crazy, so I decided Ill try it on my own. After doing it, if feel the shop quoted price IS a rip off. Should have told them they were off a 1980 honda civic, instead of a viper. Price may have been more realistic then...

98intrigue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought that was crazy, so I decided Ill try it on my own. After doing it, if feel the shop quoted price IS a rip off. Should have told them they were off a 1980 honda civic, instead of a viper. Price may have been more realistic then...
Yeah... after figuring out the first shock, the rest was a breeze. Compressing the springs is the longest/most labor intensive part. There was very little room in between the springs to get the clamps of the spring compressors on.

It was SO much easier changing out my shocks when I installed my KWs.

OP
OP

2easy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah... after figuring out the first shock, the rest was a breeze. Compressing the springs is the longest/most labor intensive part. There was very little room in between the springs to get the clamps of the spring compressors on.

It was SO much easier changing out my shocks when I installed my KWs.

Ya is sounds like almost everyone switches over from this to the proper stuff after a while.....Im sure I will too....lol

98intrigue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What didn't you like about the Vipairs?

Which spring compressor are you guys using? Pictures please.
I had his old cup kit, which used the OEM shocks. When I installed them, I found out my OEM shocks were blown. I purchased some OEM shocks and asked myself why? So I bought KWs before the OEMs arrived.

I rented spring compressors from Advanced Auto.

Mad Max

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had his old cup kit, which used the OEM shocks. When I installed them, I found out my OEM shocks were blown. I purchased some OEM shocks and asked myself why? So I bought KWs before the OEMs arrived.

I rented spring compressors from Advanced Auto.

Thank you!!