Changing Cam

rpm9000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it necessary to install new lifters if you installing a new cam in the Viper V10? I know you must install new lifters on a flat tappet cam, but I'm not sure about the roller cam?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
not a necessary thing but its a "might as well" lifters are cheap enough....its insurance ?

how many miles ya got on them ? id never do a cam without lifters and head work

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was advised to change the lifters as they mate to the cam as they're broken in. I think I got a set from RockAuto for under $300 and that was the cheapest I found them. I think they were $12-13/lifter, times 20.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't realize that there was a difference between 1996 and 2002s. Does anybody know when the switch over happened? Example, did the 1996 run thru 1999 and the "cream puff" lifter was 2000-2002?

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not necessary but as many stated a might as well. cheap insurance. Be careful when pulling the cam out and you should think about a new adjustable timing chain as well which come with crank and cam spockets. Pretty cheap also at $255.

Are you having head work done? If not then why are you changing the cam?

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The roller lifters are not hi-perf versions and are common to 6-cylinder engines. I know this because the small washer holding the needles in place around the roller axle failed, allowing the needles to fall out (now I know where those mini-washers came from) and eventually the roller stopped rolling. When it did, the engine will still run fine, but the screetch is like a bad power steering pump or failed accessory bearing. You want to get home quickly, because the (non-rolling) roller will wear down and the beating it takes from the remaining cam lobe will mushroom the lifter body and may ruin the lifter bore. I can tell you for a fact that driving 12 miles with a non-rolling lifter is, uh, safe and does not ruin the lifter bore. You should change the lifters as a preventative thing to do. You will not be impressed with the new ones, though.

PS this occurred at around 85,000 miles and had 1.7 rockers from when I bought it at 20,000 miles.

OP
OP
R

rpm9000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 1995 with the paper head gaskets on it. I decided to go ahead and install a 708 cam while changing the head gaskets. I will go ahead and get a new set of lifters.

vp97

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have bought several sets of lifters from Greg Good. They have the correct retaining clip on top and for the axles.Great for higher spring pressures due to a cam change. Give him a call!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbone96