Changing fluids ~ cost$

Photo pro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just talked to the dealer. I want them to change ALL fluids bumper to bumper for my 96 Rt-10. That includes power flushing radiator, cleaning the throttle body and fuel injectors, brake fluid, trans, oil, rear axle, power steering...etc. They quoted me $800. Is that high or low?

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All that stuff would prob take a certified Viper tech the better part of a day wich alone would cost about 800bucks labor. Working by the "book" might even take longer.

Some of the OEM fluids are pretty expensive(like trans and diff). (one of them is like 25bucks a quart...)

I'd ask them to see an itemised list of all the parts(fluids) and the estimated labor hrs out of curiosity just to see how it adds up. Looks like a decent deal to me though.

Good call on knocking everything out at once on your old snake:2tu: You'll feel much better/confident driving around with All fresh fluids.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How many miles are on your Viper? How will the dealer clean your fuel injectors? To bench clean them, you're looking at an easy $10 per injector (without labor to pull and reinstall and new o-rings). Or are they flushing something through your fuel line?

Make sure they will use the correct fluids in your car too. And note the mileage when you drop it off. You don't want the tech taking it for a joy ride.

Regarding coolant, Mopar has the long-life red coolant now, and from what I've read, that would be the way to go vs. the green stuff.

If they are using all the correct Mopar fluids, $800 is a deal.

Has this dealer worked on Vipers before?

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I take it it's ringgold Dodge? They seem to have used Vipers for sale quite often so I would assume they would know what they're doing. I would PM 1tony1 since he's in that area and he might even be able to help you do it instead. Never worked with him, but I've heard good things.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there is one dealr id let change my oil, that woodhouse. then you have tator, dc, a&c,dlm etc....no other dealer is worth the risk

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just talked to the dealer. I want them to change ALL fluids bumper to bumper for my 96 Rt-10. That includes power flushing radiator, cleaning the throttle body and fuel injectors, brake fluid, trans, oil, rear axle, power steering...etc. They quoted me $800. Is that high or low?

I paid $1100 about four years ago to do all the fluids on my '01.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just for reference, the actual fluids cost when I do my '01 is such:

-> oil and filter M1 $90

-> coolant $25

-> brakes, clutch $30

-> tranny $80

-> diff $60

Those are retail prices i.e. Auto Zone or Wallymart, so the rest in your case is labor and product markup, since they probably get wholesale pricing on the fluids.

TexasTorred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's right around where it should be....Had mine done about a year ago, that's right in th hunt.......

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW! I had no idea what my time was worth. I help several Viper owners do this every year. I am definately working too cheap.

Reaction score
Viper Techs get paid these hours for these jobs here;

OFL .8 hours
Coolant flush 1.0 hours
Brake flush 1.0 hours for non ABS and 1.5 hours for ABS (uses drb to cycle ABS unit and then re flush)
Transmission 1.2 hours
Clutch flush .6 hours
Differential 1.0 hours with or without having to drill and tap for drain plugs in older Vipers.

You can get a lube Tech to work cheaper, but most Viper owners only trust Our Viper guys to handle their cars in and out of the shop.

Reaction score
^^^ I'm guessing $90 / hr?

Mechanical shop rate is $125 for Viper and others performance work, for maintenance items it is a little less then the $90. Regular dealer shop rates around are about $108, but our Viper Techs get more per hour to take their time and care for your car be it a SRT or any performance car we have in my shop.

Although I do discount rates when we are doing large jobs and multiple upgrades.

OP
OP
P

Photo pro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the help. btw - I have about 12,000 miles on my 16 year old snake. A friend of mine sent his Momba to this dealer for a fluid change and highly recommended them. I used them last month to work on my Jeep. I was very impressed.

The service guy told me that cleaning and replacing the trottle body and fuel injectors is a minimum 3 hr process. So, I guess their rate for the total job is decent.