Check Engine light came on - Code P0320

Lundqvist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, started the car, the car seems to run fine, but the engine light came on. This was good opportunity to go to kragen and buy a Scan tool.

The guy at the kragen ran the tool and 1 error came up.

P0320 Ignition dstributr engine speed input circuit

im not exactly sure what this means and if its serouse, we started the car back up and the engine check light was GONE. like i said the car seems to run fine and but when we ran the scan tool agian we got the same error.

Any thoughts? agian the check engine light is gone.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Lundqvist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah i think it is but the code on the scanner sais the above code i stated..

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
"No crank signal at PCM" per service manual.

Have seen this and cam sensor code occasionally come and go on more than one Viper.

BUT, since YOU have brought up a potential anomaly involving "crank" and "2004" (I got the "2004" GUESS by searching your old posts...would by easier to help if the year was stated with the post) ...I will take this opportunity to suggest that you check your crank damper bolt if you did not have it checked pre-purchase. See below:

From this thread;

http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-s...32070-strange-extended-warranty-question.html

Well, I cheated and searched my old posts!! ALL Vipers EXCEPT the 2004 and maybe some EARLY 2005's have a "big dog" of a crank damper bolt...that should be checked periodically, especially if running high HP. For whatever reason, 2004's and MAYBE some early 2005's have a "teeny weeney" sized crank damper bolt, which was torqued to MUCH lower specs...and, in my opinion (as well as that of several of the better known Viper Techs' opinion) was prone to getting loose with potentially disasterous results. There IS a fix...but I personally worry about the loose ones that were "owner-fixed" as well due to their potential propensity to "rear the ugly head" of delayed failure down the road as it is hard to estimate likelihood of damage from the harmonics that could have been unleashed. For bolt specifics, see my post below:

"Actually, the search key reveals a lot:

From this thread in which Dan lays out the problem: " Re: My Crankshaft Damper Bolt was falling out. "

http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/sho...mp;o=&vc=1

The Text in part that I posted says: "Earlier in this thread I posted:

" You decide..."the year MAY matter"...

03 Manual says "250 ft-lbs"

04 Manual says "130 ft-lbs"

05 Manual says "130 ft-lbs"
---------------------------------------

Now (thanks to Tim in Parts at Indy's Champion Dodge) here more info taken straight from the Dodge computer (with a little extra effort).

Crankshaft Damper Bolts:

2003 part number 6036207AA size 0.75x16x2.250 (inches)

2004 part number 6506340AA size M14x1.5x102.0 (metric)

2005 part number 6506340AA size M14x1.5x102.0 (metric)

2005 part number 6036207AA size 0.75x16x2.250 (inches)

2006 part number 6036207AA size 0.75x16x2.250 (inches)

LOOKS TO ME AS THOUGH THERE WAS A RUNNING CHANGE SOMETIME IN THE 2005 MODEL YEAR.

By the way, I have ordered one of each just to compare.

Hope this helps !!!"
-----------------------------------
So I ordered BOTH varients of the bolts and posted: "Both sizes of bolts arrived this AM...the BIG difference in the two jumps right out at you when holding them side-by-side in one's own hand!!"

and, later in that thread I posted:

" JUST completed the "bolt inspection" of a beautiful 2006 Coupe (blue/white)...#30 of 200...at Indy's Palmer Dodge North...Viper Tech Phil Honeycutt did the formal inspection and AFFIRMS that for 2006 the crank damper bolt has the 1.25 inch( 1 1/4" ) hex head ("big bolt"), with a small blue dot on center of this bolt which, otherwise looks like the same bolt as found on the 2003 Vipers....THANKS, Phil & Palmer !!!

While Kurt and I were at it, we visited the nice folks at Indy's Champion Dodge...and looked at the bolts on a red 2005 SRT-10 and on a 2005 Copperhead SRT-10....in BOTH cases, the crank damper bolts were the same as on the 2006 Viper...with the same blue dot....THANKS, Champion !!!

So, the REAL QUESTION is...when did the running change occur ???(most likely in 05 by MY guess).

Bottom line:
Owners of 2004's and early 2005's SHOULD have this checked out (in MY opinion) at one's dealership to be safe and sure."

Hope this helps !!"

OP
OP
L

Lundqvist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks so much steve! i did a search but for some i didnt see that post! thanks agian

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
You are quite welcome, Sir!!

Please keep in mind that the thrust of my post in your case is just a "heads up" on an item worth checking periodically...not really attempting to link it directly to your "0320".

After driving our 01 for an hour one day, I ran thru the gears, getting to a little over five grand on the tach, set a cam sensor code. When I read it, cleared it, never saw it again. Interestingly, a Viper Tech told me that even though it read a cam sensor code...it could have been crank sensor. Of course, when I'm in that Viper, I pay a little more attention to the CEL area just in case. :)