check engine light help plz

Viperoctane

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK about two weeks ago I installed hennessey headers .. and no check engine light for almost 10 days and many miles.. A couple of days ago I took out the airbox to clean it and disconnected the air sensor. After I installed it back in the car, I started the car and check engine light is there. I disconnected the battery three times to clear it but no luck. How do I know what triggerd the light?? I wanna know if its from the headers or the sensor. Any one ?? thanx

lleone

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get yourself an Actron OBDII scanner from PartsAmerica for $150 and you can check and clear the codes yourself. You want the Actron CP9035. It works great and fits in the locking "glove" box. I have an aftermarket PCM and don't get the dreaded O2 codes anymore but I still carry the scanner 'cause, hey you never know. Besides, it's been helpful on my other cars.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
OK, heres what to do:

First, take the plug off the airbox sensor and check to make sure the pins are srtaight and its making contact with the connector, if its all good reconnect, if not, fix and re-connect.

Then, pull off the battery cable under the hood-(make sure keys, etc, arent in the car, doors and trunk are closed) Now, take the battery connector, and tap it on the terminal 10 times in a row, relatively quickly (2 taps a second) after the last tap, leave connector off for about an hour. re-connect, and it should be reset.

OP
OP
V

Viperoctane

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanx guys for the replies. I just checked the air sensor and the pins are straight.. I did the tap ten times and left the car disconnected, gonna wait an hour and then see if the check engine light is gone. If not then I am gonna buy the code reader/eraser. I ll keep you guys updated thanx

davem

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello,
If that does not work you may want to consider this OBD II tool, it uses a laptop, the big benefit is that it datalogs, so you can play back a run and actually see what the computer is doing. It will clear codes too.
http://www.obd-2.com/

good luck,
Dave.