Check Engine Light/Random Tech Cats/Optima Battery

VNMOUS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've been out of the viper for a few months after having an ACL reconstruciton on my clutch leg. Anyway, my trickle charger failed me and my battery is dead. I replaced it with a yellow top 34/78 Optima today and she cranked up fine. In the process of setting the time and radio stations I had the key in the on position. All of the idiot lights came on but the engine light began flashing after about 10 seconds. It flashed 11 times then a quick 12th at which point it stayed illuminated. I don't remember it doing this before so I'm pretty sure there is some sort of error code. I did the battery temperature sensor mod but the light still flashes. The only other mod I have that might send an error code is a set of Random Tech high flow cats. I was hoping someone with a stock setup as well as someone with an Optima and someone with Random Techs could check and see what their check engine light does with the key in the on position but the car off. I don't have time to get the car scanned for a few weeks and I just don't want to have the computer robbing me of power or over/under charging the battery.

Thanks

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
DO this to check for codes....

Turn the key to ON.
then cycle: ON-ACC-ON-ACC-ON-ACC-ON

don't cycle too fast, take about 1/2 second or maybe 1 second in each position.

A code (or codes) will appear in your odometer, write the down and look them up online.

Cheers, Jose.

OP
OP
V

VNMOUS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Jose. The only thing that the odometer said was done and then another chime sounded.

a-mechanic

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The flashing cel at key on, IIRC, means the OBD2 emmissions monitors have not run yet. probably because of the dead battery.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had no problems with the Randon Cats. I would say that you need to have your key in your hand and disconnect the battery again, Wait a minute and then reconnectthe battery. The car will go into theft mode and lock down. USE YOUR KEY TO UNLOCK THE DOOR USING THE KEY HOLE UNDER THE DRIVERS DOOR. When the door pops open get into the car and do not touch anything, not even the clutch. Put the key into the ignition and turn it to the on position, DO NOT START THE CAR. After the car cycles thru all the lights will stay lite and the cd player will stop making noises, this ay take a couple of minutes. Turn off the key. Start the car as normal and you should be ok. If you are popping a code It might be form the Battery Temperture Sensor that attaches to the battery, it is made for a flat sided battery and not a round type cell. There is an earlier post on how to fix this problem.

let me know how you make out,

Robbie

OP
OP
V

VNMOUS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, I got the car scanned and it isn't throwing any codes. Appently I haven't driven the car far enough since that battery died. The OBDII system has some monitors that require a certain mileage before they are considered complete. I found this info in the service manual. A few long drives and it should no longer do this.