check engine light right 500 miles...

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sigh. we just don't need to see this today after that MT review. yikes, yikes, yikes.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is not a CEL. That indicates a code has been thrown. Go to the diagnostics screen in your tach and it should tell you what it is.

That has shown up for me twice due to the rear lockout gate.

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cel=dealer. Keep us posted. It's only the second one posted here and the first one with that code

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) is part of
an onboard diagnostic system, called OBD, that
monitors engine control systems. The light will
illuminate when the ignition is in the ON/RUN position,
before engine start. If the bulb does not come on when
cycling the ignition from OFF to ON/RUN, have the
condition checked promptly.
Certain conditions, such as poor fuel quality, etc., may
illuminate the MIL after engine start. The vehicle should
be serviced if the light stays on through several of your
typical driving cycles. In most situations, the vehicle will
drive normally and will not require towing

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Curious, recent gas fill up? I'd be curious what the dealer has to say. Hopefully nothing major.

The thing I worry about the least in these cars is the powertrain.

OP
OP
D

davidn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Curious, recent gas fill up? I'd be curious what the dealer has to say. Hopefully nothing major.

The thing I worry about the least in these cars is the powertrain.
Yes ...Right after a fill up ..I only put in 93+ ...so u think a fuel problem? gas station rip off? wonder if octane booster may fix the problem...

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes ...Right after a fill up ..I only put in 93+ ...so u think a fuel problem? gas station rip off? wonder if octane booster may fix the problem...
Maybe bad gas? I am not sure. Would be my guess at the least.

I'd be curious too, with all the electronics in cars now, are they more apt to pickup on things like this - say 10-15 years ago it would have simply never even registered.

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys really think bad gas would give you a faulty cam position sensor reading?

My guess would be a bad connection or perhaps a faulty cam position sensor.

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
See below.

The P0008 DTC code is generic, so that means it applies to all makes of vehicles. This source says it best: The Engine Control Module (ECM) tests for misalignment between both camshafts on one bank of the engine & the crankshaft. The misalignment would be at an idler sprocket for either bank or at the crankshaft. Once the ECM learns the position of both camshafts on one bank of the engine, the ECM compares the learned values to a reference value. The ECM will set a DTC if both learned values for one bank of the engine are exceeding a calibrated threshold in the same direction.

Read more at: http://www.obd-codes.com/p0008
Copyright © OBD-Codes.com

But again, I would bet, on a newly assembled vehicle, that it is simply a bad connection or less likely a defective CPS. In any case, take it to the dealer.

OP
OP
D

davidn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess going to dealer tomorrow...hope they can get it fixed... one local owner had his in the shop for 3 weeks... Based on his Fb posting"" SRT has a "special" program when it comes to SRT Vipers. Basically, the dealer can't do crap without having authorization from the SRT engineers...The real problem is that SRT won't let the dealer fix the problem even when the dealer knows how to fix it. They must first document the problem, take pictures, describe, etc. and then send SRT engineers the info. SRT then takes 48 hours (or more) to figure out if the dealer can do the work or not and approves if so. Thus, a couple days of work takes 3 weeks..."

OP
OP
D

davidn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Powertrain - Fuel and Air Metering - ISO/SAE Controlled
"B" Camshaft Position Slow Response
Bank 1
The "B" camshaft shall be either the "exhaust," "right," or "rear" camshaft. Left/Right and Front/Rear are determined as if viewed from the driver's seating position. Bank 1 contains cylinder number one, Bank 2 is the opposite bank.

P000B - Generic
Type
Description

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A weak battery can make up and display bad codes that do not really exist. My Cayenne Turbo does this sometimes. If it is a clear able code, it will go away with a restart, if not, a dealer visit it is to clear. Was it running any different when and after it appeared? Might be a phantom code.

OP
OP
D

davidn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A weak battery can make up and display bad codes that do not really exist. My Cayenne Turbo does this sometimes. If it is a clear able code, it will go away with a restart, if not, a dealer visit it is to clear. Was it running any different when and after it appeared? Might be a phantom code.
few restarts cold and hot ..no luck.... the car is not running as it was before ..not as responsive under load.... Ill just take it to dealer tomorrow.... I'm sure its not a big deal.... I was just wondering if anyone else has had the same code pop up....

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess going to dealer tomorrow...hope they can get it fixed... one local owner had his in the shop for 3 weeks... Based on his Fb posting"" SRT has a "special" program when it comes to SRT Vipers. Basically, the dealer can't do crap without having authorization from the SRT engineers...The real problem is that SRT won't let the dealer fix the problem even when the dealer knows how to fix it. They must first document the problem, take pictures, describe, etc. and then send SRT engineers the info. SRT then takes 48 hours (or more) to figure out if the dealer can do the work or not and approves if so. Thus, a couple days of work takes 3 weeks..."
LMFAO.
few restarts cold and hot ..no luck.... the car is not running as it was before ..not as responsive under load.... Ill just take it to dealer tomorrow.... I'm sure its not a big deal.... I was just wondering if anyone else has had the same code pop up....
Oh dear.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score

SRT needs to be careful.

In many states, 20 days of the car being in the shop the first year qualifies for lemon status.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not true - I went in for a cel (I caused), in/out in a few minutes.

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you try and clear the code with a hand held OBD scanner.

Not sure I would do that in this situation. Something is wrong with a brand new car with 500 miles on it. If it is throwing phantom codes, that is a problem I would want fixed. If it has a bad connection to the CPS and is running poorly (as appears to be the case here), that is a problem I would want fixed. In short, if my brand new car is throwing codes, I would not clear the code and see if it comes back. It's a $100k+ car under warranty. I would take it to the dealer. Today. In the case of the other Gen V with a CEL, he had had a dead battery which was clearly associated with the appearance of his CEL. THAT would be a case where I would clear the code and roll on.

OP
OP
D

davidn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure I would do that in this situation. Something is wrong with a brand new car with 500 miles on it. If it is throwing phantom codes, that is a problem I would want fixed. If it has a bad connection to the CPS and is running poorly (as appears to be the case here), that is a problem I would want fixed. In short, if my brand new car is throwing codes, I would not clear the code and see if it comes back. It's a $100k+ car under warranty. I would take it to the dealer. Today. In the case of the other Gen V with a CEL, he had had a dead battery which was clearly associated with the appearance of his CEL. THAT would be a case where I would clear the code and roll on.
I Agree 100% and that is why I didn't clear the code.... way busy today to take in to the dealer.... planning on Tuesday next week....

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look, this code thingy is Chryslers problem. You gave them your money. They gave you the warranty. End of discussion.

Make them "decode" the issue. Why waste the time ?

Alabaster Mamba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It appears that there may be a problem with the VVT. The fix could be nothing more than a software flash, or replacement of oil control valve (OCV). Have you changed your oil by any chance? There is a TSB for other Dodge/Chrysler models that post a p000B code.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know, there seems to be a lot of negativity on the new models.
Just get the car back to the dealer and let them check out what's going on. No big Deal.

If you go to the very bottom of this thread there are related threads about even the glorious Gen 2 models throwing codes after 300 miles.

Glitches happen. Yes it could be this or that. Better to have a Dealer look at the car first with the car being under warranty, if you get poor response from the dealer or SRT then that is a different matter.

Good luck davidn, i'm sure this will get fixed for you :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21