check engine light right 500 miles...

OP
OP
D

davidn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It appears that there may be a problem with the VVT. The fix could be nothing more than a software flash, or replacement of oil control valve (OCV). Have you changed your oil by any chance? There is a TSB for other Dodge/Chrysler models that post a p000B code.
No oil change... I was going to do the first oil change around 1k.....Going to the dealer on Tuesday and will post the outcome..... Not losing any sleep over this.... I Guess my car is the only one so far with this problem.......

Last edited:

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No oil change... I was going to do the first oil change around 1k.....Going to the dealer on Tuesday and will post the outcome..... No losing any sleep over this.... I Guess my car is the only one so fay with this problem.......
Thankfully yes! (not thankfully you are having it!)

The one reason I was willing to buy the Viper is I know the powertrains are solid. I hope BigSnake is right and it is nothing more than a loose connector.

And they (typically) will contact SRT Engineering. But, I look at that as a good thing. SRT wants to sort out these issues. I don't see that as a negative, at all. I'd rather it be right.

Then again, I'd be miffed if my car was in the shop for 3 weeks.

OP
OP
D

davidn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I ended up taking my car to dealer on Saturday after I spoke to the service manger and he assured that the car would be parked inside the service bay over the weekend.... just got a call that indeed the cell code was real and good thing that I didn't re-set and kept driving... it has do with a switch(solenoid) that controls the flow of oil to the parts of the motor (having to do with dry oil sump)...part on order .... they are checking for metal shavings in the motor ..if parts of the motor did suffer oil starvation I guess there would be no way of finding out without a tear-down..... they are making notes in case of motor failure somewhere down the road.... I put about 30 miles on car with the code on... just to get home and to the dealer....I wish I would have stopped and have one my guys come get it with a flatbed....:rolleyes:... Since I own a few wreckers....:D Good thing I bought the lifetime warranty from Chrysler few weeks back.....All in all I love the Viper and its keeper.... just hope this was a one time thing....

OP
OP
D

davidn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dry oil sump ??????
perhaps I'm not using the correct terms... I was told the motor uses a electrical oil pump vs a mechanical one to prevent dry starts .... and it helps getting oil to all parts of the motor at all time... it MAYBE BS since I m not motor builder so I don't know... going by what I was told....

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder if driving the car 30 miles with a cel on will adversely effect the warranty? Hopefully not and your issue gets sorted soon.

OP
OP
D

davidn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder if driving the car 30 miles with a cel on will adversely effect the warranty? Hopefully not and your issue gets sorted soon.
I don't see how.....its not like the car has mods or I did anything to cause the failure.... the dealer called back and said they did a oil change and no shavings in the oil ...

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
perhaps I'm not using the correct terms... I was told the motor uses a electrical oil pump vs a mechanical one to prevent dry starts .... and it helps getting oil to all parts of the motor at all time... it MAYBE BS since I m not motor builder so I don't know... going by what I was told....

Davidn,

I think I'm missing something in the translation.....you may want to get a second opinion just to be on the safe side. Glad the car checked out ok.

Cheers,
George

99sh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would've been nice if you saved some of that oil for Blackstone to do an oil sample analysis.

OP
OP
D

davidn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would've been nice if you saved some of that oil for Blackstone to do an oil sample analysis.

Davidn,

I think I'm missing something in the translation.....you may want to get a second opinion just to be on the safe side. Glad the car checked out ok.

Cheers,
George
At this point and time its too late to do either.... they are telling me that they have a fix and the failed part will be replaced....I have a peace of mind of the warranty and if some internal damage was done it will come up soon.... Not going to worry... I will enjoy the car and if the Motor takes a dump them I will deal with it..... If and when I get a CEL pop up going to play it safe and will stop driving and have it towed to the shop....

Cameron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Screw it! Do a burn out and then 0-160mph... That should clear any codes.... No biggie just take it to a competent tech and have the repairs done.. We are the test mules brother.. Things are going to go wrong.. But that shouldn't damper your owners experience. Hell my wives Mercedes truck is brand new and has more codes thrown than a Nuclear weapon.. Cheer up.. You have one of the best SUPER cars on the planet.. Enjoy it.. Alot of people on these boards want to bring Gen V owners down so that prices fall and then they can grab a car.. I don't even read half the nonsense written about this car.. The Viper was never loved by the masses or mags.. I love it and thats all that matters!!!! P.S. Didn't read entire post so you may already have the car fixed...

Capt Van

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes .. got a call from Chrysler few weeks back with the offer.... Zero or $50 Ded... I can post the number if needed... its a SRT/Chrysler group LLC deal....no miles or time limits ...

Yes, please post more info, phone number, price etc?
Thanks

Hope they get your situation worked out soon.

OP
OP
D

davidn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, please post more info, phone number, price etc?
Thanks

Hope they get your situation worked out soon.
800-336-2895 price is based on how many miles on the car... tell them you got the letter with the $150 off offer... car must be in 12 months /12k range... they have 50k or 100k or lifetime plans ...I went with zero ded. lifetime... it was right at 5k... it may sound like a lot but since I plan to keep the car and with all the new Electronic stuff on the car I thought it was worth it... I hope I won't have to use it but its a peace of mind....

Policy Limits

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's crazy I buy myself a new car at least every two years

U don't get bored & want to change? ESP as technology advances with time?

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
davidn, I hate to see this on your new car as I thought SRT might have fixed the sensitive issues for CELs over the Gen 4 which are fairly common. Mine included of course but fixed. Dealer tech should have the answer and fix as needed.

OP
OP
D

davidn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Picked up the viper early today ...all fixed ..soo code P000B =>OIL CONTROL SOLENOID...
You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

Viper808

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Great news... Im sure your relieved....Thanks for keeping us posted and providing the repair details.....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala