check engine light

bluejet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SO i changed out my entire exhaust from headers all the way back. I no longer have cats or mufflers. I am now getting a check engine light that is saying my motor is running too rich. Any idea of how to fix it? Thinking about just putting the old exhaust back on or should I take it to a tuner. Anyone know of a viper tuner in southern NH, s.ME or eastern Mass

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SO i changed out my entire exhaust from headers all the way back. I no longer have cats or mufflers. I am now getting a check engine light that is saying my motor is running too rich. Any idea of how to fix it? Thinking about just putting the old exhaust back on or should I take it to a tuner. Anyone know of a viper tuner in southern NH, s.ME or eastern Mass

what year?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Rear Oxygen simulators to keep the rear oxy sensors from setting a check engine light - or the plug nonfoulers.

I recommend a tuner to use SCT to remove the rear 02 sensor part of the ECU program. The ECU uses a 'table' and comarparison readings between the front and rear 02 sensors and if it thinks the engine exhaust is running too hot it will switch on a "fuel enrichment" program that is to "save" the Catalytic Convertor. That could/is probably your "rich" code.

Ted

Olddudesrule

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You deleted the cats and all mufflers? Can you be more specific, as it seems you have headers and straight pipes all the way to the rear? If you deleted both sets of cats, and are running no cat delete, then I can understand part of the issue.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Changing from cast iron manifoilds and the restrictive 2.5" exhaust should lean the engine out to close to the mixture you want. Going rich usually means part throttle and I would lay odds that the rear 02 sensor prograis the culprit. Either the 02 simulators should mostly finish the check engine light, but I like the spark plug non-foulers myself. I wrote an Illustrated Upgrade for it, but I'm not sure if it's still there or not.

A GOOD tuner is the best solution of course. With an SCT tuner he can adjust your fuel maps, increase your timing etc. A good tune usually adds 25-45rwhp. If you have other mods to do, then do the non-foulers mod and get the tune after you do the other mods. Driving your car if it is running too rich is ******* the rings so I wouldn't do it for many miles. Contact your regional pres of the VCA for their recommended Tuners in your area.

Ted

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Send me a PM if you need instructions on how to modify the non-foulers for use.

Ted

OP
OP
B

bluejet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
where do you buy the 02 simulators from and which ones do I need?

Thanks

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just had Belanger headers and Random Tech cats put on my '01 GTS and am having a similar problem. I got 02 (P0132) code a couple of times before and had a new front 02 on hand just in case, so I had it replaced on driver's side and wiring looked at when the headers went on. Tech did a test drive before I picked it up with no engine light coming on. When I picked it up, the light went on, so I checked it when I got home and reset it with my SCT. Came back on during the test drive.

With 3 remaining O2 sensors (I think), I don't just want to replace them unless they need it. I've searched and found threads about Sims and repositioning the rear sensor out of the gas flow a little. The cats are the RT ceramic ones. Anyone know for sure what the correct approach is to get rid of the codes and keep the engine running right?:dunno:

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bluejet, Our regional club uses Protree Performance in Hudson, NH. Not far over the border from MA. They have a very knowledgeable SCT Tuner there and a Dynojet Dyno.

You should join the club, we have a lot of activities. We just did a tour of the Factory Five factory (yea redundant, I know) yesterday. We're also scheduled to do a track event July 2-4 at NHMP with the COM Sports Car Club (www.comsccc.org). Get your car fixed and join us. PM me if you want more info.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VinhyVegas