Checking interest in a ACR

BennyBad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
debating about selling my Black acr and going into a full race prepped car. love doing the hpde's 1 to 2 x a month but always worried what if ?? looking at c5z06 race cars which are quite cheap right now and easy to maintain and cheap to fix if oops happens. i see myself getting into some door to door racing in the near future. so you see my delema. just testing the waters, posted also in the classifieds.

thanks

dtenney

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CC. Go for it.

There are a few great comp coupes for sale right now, also I know of a couple ACR Vipers that are almost finished being converted into race cars, with cage, fuel cell, and fire suppression. I am facing the same dilemma as you. I bought an 09 ACR and do not feel comfortable tracking it. So then I bought an 08 and converted it into an ACR clone, but still no safety features and the rarity of these cars makes it hard. So now I am shopping for a track car also, mostly trying to decide between Comp Coupe and SRT-4 (highly modified).

-David

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like you are doing what I have just started doing only with an '06 Coupe. I would love to have an ACR ! :headbang:

Just a little to much of a stretch for me $. Sounds like you are concerned about having a wreck then making repairs? Or is it that the costs related to converting to full race mode are just to high for the ACR ?

OP
OP
B

BennyBad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CC. Go for it.

thanks chuck, would love to do a comp coupe but trying to simplify my track days id be more nervouse damaging that bad boy. vetts are cheap and plentiful with all the hard work done and the race car market is in the toilet so there are some great deals out there

There are a few great comp coupes for sale right now, also I know of a couple ACR Vipers that are almost finished being converted into race cars, with cage, fuel cell, and fire suppression. I am facing the same dilemma as you. I bought an 09 ACR and do not feel comfortable tracking it. So then I bought an 08 and converted it into an ACR clone, but still no safety features and the rarity of these cars makes it hard. So now I am shopping for a track car also, mostly trying to decide between Comp Coupe and SRT-4 (highly modified)

-David

dtenny, you know exactly what is going thru my mind right now and everytime i go to the track. i cant have both for fear of wife and she would rather see me speeding around on the track with a cage and fire suppresion and all the safety features. and not have to spend the next day detailing the car from top to bottom to just sit in the garage because people in miami dont know how to drive

Sounds like you are doing what I have just started doing only with an '06 Coupe. I would love to have an ACR ! :headbang:

Just a little to much of a stretch for me $. Sounds like you are concerned about having a wreck then making repairs? Or is it that the costs related to converting to full race mode are just to high for the ACR ?

ni-ka, 10 months ago i went thru what you are doing now i was getting ready to modify my 06 coupe for the track and fiqured how much it was going to cost. that cost plus my coupe got me a ACR, there is no comparison. i dont want to have a inncident at the track with the acr. just deciding to go another way

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an older Z06 that I track because it IS cheaper to run and I don't worry about not being able to afford parts. Whenever I am at the track and see the Vipers I dream the whole drive home about going through the apexs with one of those bad boys.

If I had the $ I would withOUT a doubt track a Viper over a vette.

JMHO.

If you can make it happen, GO FOR IT.

VicTxV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
debating about selling my Black acr and going into a full race prepped car. love doing the hpde's 1 to 2 x a month but always worried what if ?? looking at c5z06 race cars which are quite cheap right now and easy to maintain and cheap to fix if oops happens. i see myself getting into some door to door racing in the near future. so you see my delema. just testing the waters, posted also in the classifieds.

thanks

Check with Ben Keating, Tomball Dodge and current Viper race champ. He has some viper race cars and he would probably take your ACR off your hands.

dtenney

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check with Ben Keating, Tomball Dodge and current Viper race champ. He has some viper race cars and he would probably take your ACR off your hands.

Good advice, Ben is a great guy, bought the SSG from him, I know he has a few race cars for sale.

-David

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, how much is a 2x per month tracked ACR going for nowadays? I suppose price is what will determine interest levels.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I had the $ I would withOUT a doubt track a Viper over a vette.

I dunno. Maybe in the short run the Vette might seem like the more affordable option but in the long run I think the Viper has 'em all beat. My 97 has spent almost it's entire life on the track and the motor has yet to be opened. Lost 5th at about 30,000 miles. Clutch springs went bad at 40K. Those are the only two major items.

I better knock on wood now. :)

OP
OP
B

BennyBad

Enthusiast
Reaction score

will give him a cal
thanks

So, how much is a 2x per month tracked ACR going for nowadays? I suppose price is what will determine interest levels.

in my mind a fair price is 90K, i see the value of these going up. make me a offer

thanks

OP
OP
B

BennyBad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dunno. Maybe in the short run the Vette might seem like the more affordable option but in the long run I think the Viper has 'em all beat. My 97 has spent almost it's entire life on the track and the motor has yet to be opened. Lost 5th at about 30,000 miles. Clutch springs went bad at 40K. Those are the only two major items.

I better knock on wood now. :)[/quote

i agree with you chuck the viper is bullet proof, i see every event stock cars frying brakes, cracking rotors, brake failure do to boiling. on and on. the viper platform is solid. the acr is a race car no doubt but i cant see myself doing racing in it thats why im looking to get a track set up car thats cheap compared to the cost of the acr. i know its a step backwards but the piece of mind and the ability to push my learning without fear of repercussions will be worth it ,

thanks

mcar00

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I've had the privelege of witnessing this firsthand over the last 8 years and I'm still scratching my head. Pretty amazing! Also, this car has not exactly been babied! :D

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember Cindy Lux of Neykid racing commenting on how much less they needed to spend to keep their Viper on the track compared to their previous cars. (think Vettes).

Much less down time, and the parts just lasted longer. Think she was talking Comp Coupes.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Most Viper guys I talk to at the track say it's expensive to maintain compared to my vette, sounds like you have gotten lucky Chuck! Can't beat $20 for a rotor:)

I have 95K on my vette and havn't had anything go wrong yet, the last 70K miles are on the track or getting there:lmao:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had the privelege of witnessing this firsthand over the last 8 years and I'm still scratching my head. Pretty amazing! Also, this car has not exactly been babied! :D

LOL I can't wait to see you thrash your new ACR. Let me know when you'll be at Sebring.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most Viper guys I talk to at the track say it's expensive to maintain compared to my vette, sounds like you have gotten lucky Chuck! Can't beat $20 for a rotor:)

I have 95K on my vette and havn't had anything go wrong yet, the last 70K miles are on the track or getting there:lmao:

Sounds like you got a good one too. :2tu: for American muscle.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc