Chrysler In Talks To Sell Viper

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the post. Chrysler is in no hurry to sell? Gee, I hope things turn around and they decide to keep it!

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Chrysler sold about 1,172 of the low-volume, hand-built, V10-powered sports cars last year, a 169% increase from the previous year."

If that comment is true then Chrysler only sold 436 last year. I don't think they meant to say "a 169% increase". Maybe they were trying to say this years' sales is 169% of last year.

Is this article saying anything that wasn't said a couple months ago?

Bob

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was no official 07 Viper production. Just sold some left over 06's so figures make sense.

If you want to be sure not to be left out on getting a new Viper, now is a great time. The prices are discounted, the selection is great, and fuel is cheap.

Get them while the gettin' is good.

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, yeah. "Last year" was 2008 so the previous year was 2007. I didn't catch that until you pointed it out.

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This line stuck my attention :
"Separately, Chrysler said it has seen a 30% decline in the warranty claims rate on its vehicles."

For sure Viper is one of the best quality car ever built by Chrysler. It is certainly not perfect but it is a very good car. However the other cars are not as good quality as a customer would expected them to be. In Canada dealers have very strict quota on warranty work. I don't know what is the "warranty quota factor" in this statement ...

The Viper brand worth a lot of money. I don't think that these days, Chrysler can get as much as they want for the Viper. This is why there is no pressure to sell it. So the article is very realistic ...

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Found it interesting that they say Viper sales for Feb are down 44%. Hmmm. I wonder why!?:omg:

Could it be they are not building the ones that they even are taking orders for so folks have slowed on ordering!

Robert

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Found it interesting that they say Viper sales for Feb are down 44%. Hmmm. I wonder why!?:omg:

Could it be they are not building the ones that they even are taking orders for so folks have slowed on ordering!

Robert

No, re-read it:

Chrysler, which retained Lazard as its financial adviser on Viper, saw U.S. sales decline 44% in February.

That says Chrysler's overall sales dropped 44%, not Viper, there is no breakout of Viper sales in that quote.

-J

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, so, what does this tell us?

1. Viper is not going to be sold any time soon (or so it seems), makes sense and not just due to the current economy but due to the current administration's desire to turn this into an energy starved, overtaxed 3rd world country.

2. Production may or may not be restarted. Why do I say this? Because Chrysler still has their hand out (for gov't bailout) and they may be forced into accepting tighter conditions on the monies use (if they get further funds) or they may be put into bankruptcy (unless Cerberus, who is still well capitalized 'bails' them out itself).

3. I think they have been putting off restarting CAAP because they thought a new owner would be in place (and why put more $ into an operation that they would never recoup)..but, with the 'new owner' idea 'not happening any time soon', maybe they will restart CAAP as currently indicated by dealers (but not in any public statement) on March 30/31.

-J

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Might be able to sell the company to someone like Fisker. They just got a bunch of money to produce their electric hybrid car.

Could use one of the two assembly lines at Connor to make the Karma, and the other to keep producing Viper. Might even be some shared technology.

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Might be able to sell the company to someone like Fisker. They just got a bunch of money to produce their electric hybrid car.

Could use one of the two assembly lines at Connor to make the Karma, and the other to keep producing Viper. Might even be some shared technology.

That's a nice thought but how is a California-based venture-backed 'new economy' electric car company going to basically double their currently funding level to buy an 'old economy' manufacturing plant?

They are not even 'off the ground yet', I think taking on an entirely different vehicle would be a complete distraction for them and their venture backers.

Not only that, but, new companies like to focus on their core strength and maintaining the Viper platform would be "a whole 'nother company" to tackle.

Now, if Fisker was already public and had a few billion in revenue and was looking for some growth "by acquisition" opportunity, I still do not think they would have the slightest interest.

I think Viper will be a really hard sale for Cerberus because it would have to be to an existing car company with an existing dealership network or some sort of agreement the new owners could still use Dodge dealerships (but Dodge may be disappearing what with the govt handouts and potential bankruptcy proceedings).

Otherwise, if someone like Penske or Roush takes over Viper it will become like the comp coupe, no dealers, just a factory and parts and you do your own wrenching, no idea how warranty would work without being able to take it to a dealer. And a dealer network, if it had to be established would probably be based on your existing top Viper dealers as they would be most friendly to taking on Viper even with Dodge out of the picture. For many that would mean the nearest place for warranty work would be 100s of miles away, which would be a detriment to ownership.

I'm not saying it won't happen (sale of Viper), it just seems there will be a lot of logistics involved that may have no easy answer.

-J

C-Note

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lets just have one of those VCA auctions, the winner gets the the Viper platform.

Ill start off the biddng, How about a hunski, a 12 pack of Coors Light and one factory original set of ribbed intake tubes for a Gen2.:D:eater:

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, re-read it:

Chrysler, which retained Lazard as its financial adviser on Viper, saw U.S. sales decline 44% in February.

That says Chrysler's overall sales dropped 44%, not Viper, there is no breakout of Viper sales in that quote.

-J

He he. Oopsy.:rolleyes:

Good catch yellow!:2tu:

Robert

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper should not hurt bail-out aspects as it is a very quiet but known fact that as part of the bailout loan specifics, 100% of parts for new platform cars needs to be from AMERICAN parts sources as part of the loan specifics with a very short period to comply. This is good and last time I checked, there were not a lot of Viper parts sources overseas.

However saying that, with the discounts, etc., out there, the Viper is gonzo at the end of this year IMHO. They should have just let the champ retire on top last year. Now he is sitting in a chair at a county fair, getting 40 large for people standing beside him to take pictures of the old relic.

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper should not hurt bail-out aspects as it is a very quiet but known fact that as part of the bailout loan specifics, 100% of parts for new platform cars needs to be from AMERICAN parts sources as part of the loan specifics with a very short period to comply. This is good and last time I checked, there were not a lot of Viper parts sources overseas.

However saying that, with the discounts, etc., out there, the Viper is gonzo at the end of this year IMHO. They should have just let the champ retire on top last year. Now he is sitting in a chair at a county fair, getting 40 large for people standing beside him to take pictures of the old relic.

Agreed, I do not think Viper hurts from the bailout specifics, rather, I think the bailout specifics will hurt Viper.

As for the car being 100% USA sourced, uhm....

Right on the Window Sticker it says:

FOR VEHICLES IN THIS CARLINE:
U.S./CANADA PARTS CONTENT: 74%

Dodge - New Vehicle Inventory - Window Sticker

No idea what the "USA" and "Canada" split are...

But, here's what I do know:

Engine Block is from England (all engine pieces are hand assembled at the factory)

Lots of various parts are MADE IN CHINA (if you have a roadster, check the trunk release! the mechanism inside the trunk)

Transmission is made in Mexico (says right there on the window sticker)

Tires are mostly from a plant in Nigeria (from a French-owned company)

....so it goes

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've heard Saleen's name in the mix...

Most of Saleen Inc. was purchased by MJ Acquisitions. The S7, GT, Viper, and paint line were not part of the deal.

BREAKING: Saleen, Inc. sells off most of its assets

PRESS RELEASE:

Irvine, California, February 2, 2009 -- After announcing it was looking for a buyer in early November, Saleen Incorporated announced today that MJ Acquistions has acquired certain assets of America's premier automotive lifestyle brand, relating to Saleen's supercharger, aftermarket and high performance street vehicle businesses.

The transaction reportedly was finalized last Friday, which left all of the employees (including Saleen Inc. CEO Chris Theodore) with the legal formality of being without jobs -- at least temporarily. Some hirebacks have already taken place as the transition progresses.

While the terms of the deal were not disclosed, the purchase does not include the assets associated with the supercar (S7 or S5 Raptor vehicles) or the paint operations, which will remain with Saleen Incorporated.

The ownership of MJ Acquisitions controls a family of companies which provide full service engineering, design, manufacturing, assembly and control systems for the automotive industry. It's affilitated companies include Cyltec, LLC, Power-Tec Engineering, LLC, Arrow Racing Engines, LLC, and Control-Tec, LLC.

"MJ Acquisitions and its affiliates are a group of true car professionals with vast experience in the engineering, production, assembly and distribution of performance and racing vehicles" said Theodore in a press release. "This influx of new life into the Saleen, RaceCraft and SpeedLab brands is a win-win situation."

Theodore noted loyal Saleen customers, dealers and enthusiasts can look forward to an exciting transition period.

"We moved on this purchase quickly to ensure that the process of delivering high-quality automobiles and components to the consumers is not disrupted," said Mike Shields, President and CEO of MJ Acquisitions. "We are working with the talented team from Saleen and our own experts to continue the quality, delivery, and performance the customer base and delalership network have come to expect from the Saleen brand. I am particularly excited about Saleen's supercharger experience and its synergies with Power-Tec's development of the next generation of superchargers."

Immediate plans are to roll out the 2010 version of the newly designed Mustang for the Racecraft brand and commence other Racecraft designs for additional vehicles. The new Mustang is shipping from Ford later this month. Additionally, the Saleen brand will have a new design of the flagship S-Line that is already in the works and scheduled for release in the third quarter of 2009.

While this announcement may provide more questions than answers for some, Saleen owners should be assured that key warranty and sales staff are still at the company to serve dealers and owners, with more hirebacks likely coming in the days ahead.

MJ Acquistions does plan to work with the dealer network and others to establish the future product line. A company spokesperson said more announcements will be forthcoming, so stay tuned.

Given that, MJ Acquisitions would the the likely suitor since Saleen itself is mostly gone...

So, here's that story:

MJ Acquisitions Purchases Saleen, Eyes Viper

MJ Acquisitions Purchases Saleen, Eyes Viper

MJ Acquisitions, having recently purchased most of the assets from Saleen Automotive Inc., is now talking about adding the Viper to its portfolio of products.

Speaking to Automotive News, MJ Acquisitions co-owner Mike Shields indicated an interest was there but didn't offer any details.

[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=+1]Officials at Chrysler acknowledged three proposals were being considered on the Viper operation, though no specific comment was given as to the nature of the proposals or the companies involved.[/SIZE][/FONT]

"That's a touchy little subject there," said Shields.

Officials at Chrysler acknowledged three proposals were being considered on the Viper operation, though no specific comment was given as to the nature of the proposals or the companies involved.

MJ Acquisitions, which also owns several other performance-based operations, finalized a deal at the end of January for a good portion of Saleen, including their aftermarket parts and supercharger business as well as vehicle tuning operations.

"We moved on this purchase quickly to ensure that the process of delivering high-quality automobiles and components to the consumers is not disrupted," said Shields in a press release on the purchase. "We are working with the talented team from Saleen and our own experts to continue the quality, delivery, and performance the customer base and dealership network have come to expect from the Saleen brand. I am particularly excited about Saleen's supercharger experience and its synergies with Power-Tec's development of the next generation of superchargers."

"MJ Acquisitions and its affiliates are a group of true car professionals with vast experience in the engineering, production, assembly and distribution of performance and racing vehicles" said former Saleen CEO Chris Theodore. "This influx of new life into the Saleen, Racecraft and SpeedLab brands is a win-win situation."

The Saleen S7 super car as well as the S5 Raptor and Saleen's paint operations were not part of the deal, and remain the property of Saleen Inc.

The existing Saleen employees received walking papers at the conclusion of the purchase, though MJ Acquisitions expects to re-hire most if not the entire staff. The company is planning to press forward with the aftermarket and tuning side of the operation and will be releasing a modified 2010 Mustang under the Racecraft brand, with other Saleen models to follow. Existing customers and dealers will still have access to key staff members during the transition for issues regarding warranties and sales.

Original Saleen founder Steve Saleen started the company in 1984 as a tuning shop for Ford Mustangs. He stepped away from the operation in 2007 to pursue a venture with an incoming Chinese manufacturer, which ultimately failed. In 2008 Saleen launched SMS Supercars and returned to the tuner world, this time with a new Dodge Challenger called the SMS 570.

By: Christopher Smith, Autotropolis

However, given the press release this week by Chysler it appears the deal is off for now and the search continues.

Chrysler in talks with 2 or 3 companies to sell Dodge Viper - Mar. 3, 2009

Relevant quote by Jim Press:

"We are not in an imminent position of selling it," he said. "We will when the market is right, and the buyer shows up."

-J

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yellow;

I guess it was my understanding that the American stimpulation, really meant North American and that included Canada and Mexico in that as they try to strengthen those NAFTA talks as well.

Now I know why my damn trunk release never releases fully and I have to do this three handed thing to open the trunk. China release! It all makes sense now.

I did not know that the new blocks were still from England. Learn something new every day and today was one of those days.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery