SCS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Friday March 16, 5:22 pm Eastern Time

Chrysler Recalls Dodge Racing Vipers

DETROIT (Reuters) - The Chrysler arm of DaimlerChrysler AG (NYSE
You must be registered for see images
CX - news)
said Friday it was recalling 615 Dodge Vipers to fix problems with seat belts installed
for racing use.

Chrysler said the five-point racing harnesses do not meet international standards for racing safety. The recall covers 1999 to
2001 model years of the Dodge Viper ACR and GT-2 Commemorative Editions, which were built for racing. Owners are
being asked not to race their Vipers until the problem is fixed.

No accidents or injuries have been reported in connection with the recall. The vehicles are also equipped with regular
three-point seat belts and Chrysler said those belts should be used for all driving.

The Viper is a $70,000 two-seat sports car.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The DOT Legal belts are 100% ok, and so I doubt this will be a "Recall" in terms of federal safety regs.

Perhaps just D-C "Doing The Right Thing" with the recent controversy, and intense harness scrutiny.

On a personal note, I usually wear my DOT crossover belt AND my safety harnesses! Can you be too safe?

Reaction score
This is what my friends from the SCCA sent me!

The following new message has been posted on TracQuest/Rennlist DE Board.

MESSAGE: (#4034) D.J. And others using Momo Harnesses, Warning! Ple <http://boards.rennlist.com/cgi-bin/trde/tqde.pl?review=4034
AUTHOR: jyoteen <[email protected]>
DATE: Friday, 16 March 2001, at 5:50 p.m.
> From: NASA-VA Rep Jon Felton > Reply To:
[email protected]
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2001 1:21 PM
To: [email protected];
[email protected];
[email protected]
Subject: OpnTrk: Fw:
Notice re MOMO Harness Belts
FYI... safety-related so please read
on... >
MOMO Automotive has determined that a defect exists in certain of
its racing harnesses which causes the harnesses to be unsafe.

These harnesses, which bear the MOMO Corse or MOMO name (and in the case of certain Dodge Vipers only, the label "ACR") have labels on the lap strap referring to one or more of the following certification numbers: "FIA B-143.T/98," "FIA C-154.T/98," > "FIA D-153.T98," "FIA D-142.T/98," "SFI" or "SFI 16.1."
Only MOMO harnesses marked as FIA or SFI certified are involved. USE OF THESE HARNESSES SHOULD CEASE IMMEDIATELY > > We are attempting to reach purchasers of these harnesses directly but > would > appreciate it if you would contact your membership with this information as soon as possible and instruct your marshals to check for these harnesses and to prevent them from being used in any races. If you have any other methods or can suggest any other means of notifying drivers of this please contact Darick
Schmitt of MOMO Automotive at (800) 749-MOMO, or [email protected].
Thank you for your assistance.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qdog