Classified ad email notifications

markk

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
The email notifications for new/updated classified ads have a rather strange format. They don't display correctly on a smartphone (at least not my iPhone). The html has the entire content within a nested table and in a single row/column (tr/td).

Do we (VCA) have control over this or is it a limitation of the BB software being used? If we have control, I'd be happy to figure out the correct html and pass it along to a mod.

A second issue is that the embedded link does not contain the ad number, so it is useless. It would be nice to have this fixed. If we can't do that, maybe it can at least go to the category instead of just failing due to incorrect URL format.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Are you sayng that there is once again a way to get email notice of all newly posted classifieds? Or a digest daily? Please share? I thot that died when Jay Herbert went away.....

OP
OP
markk

markk

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Yes. If you go to the classified group you are interested in, say "Viper Wheels and Tires", at the bottom left (below the first screen of ads), you will see "Subscribe to Category". Click that and you will be subscribed. I get an email whenever the ad is uploaded/updated. If it is an older ad that was updated, you have to look for it because it will still be in date order using the original posting date.

Here is a sample of the email I received recently.
kcobean has uploaded one or more ads to a category you subscribe to. Image name: ^realname Title: OEM Gen 2 5 Spoke Powder Coated Black Description: I picked up a set of SSR wheels and they are currently being powder coated. As soon as I get them back these rims will be dismounted and for sale. They were powder coated 2 years ago and the finish is still great. I had them coated in jet black with a clear coat. Center caps are not included. Asking price is 1200 or best offer. Link to ad: http://classifieds.viperclub.org/showproduct.php?product= To turn off subscriptions for this category, click on the following link: http://classifieds.viperclub.org/misc.php?action=subscribe&thecat=7 The Team http://classifieds.viperclub.org

The link with "showproduct" should have the product id at the end, but it doesn't so the link fails. You have to just go to the classifieds and find it. You can use the "thecat=x" to know what category it is (ie, category 7 is "Viper Wheels and Tires") and then hover over the links to see which one is the same number.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree. It would be great if these notices were a little more user readable, and the links went to the actual ad.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456