Clay bar secrets

SuperSaiks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
go to zaino's website they will tell you everything u need to know.

Make sure to strip your car first with dawn dish soap, then use alot of soapy water in a spray bottle and make sure to always be using it to lubricate the panel of the car as you use the clay bar.

Be extremly careful cause of the color of your car being dark very very easy to get fine scratches.

Dave T (BADVENM)

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like mentioned above, use Dawn to wash the car first.

Use a spray bottle with a cap full of soap and spray small sections at a time. Lightly go over the area thats been sprayed with the clay bar. No need to rub or push hard...just kind of skim over the surface. Dont go in circular motions. Once you've done that, use a cotton towel to wipe off the dirt/residue. The results are incredible when compared to an area not done yet.

Once you've completed the whole vehicle, re-wash the car (not with dawn) to ensure the clay bar and dirt are off. Then follow the Zaino instructions for the sealer and related waxes.

I tried it on a different vehicle to practice before applying to the Sapphire/Silver stripe Viper. I was impressed at the results and I didnt even scratch it. Its pretty simple.

Good luck, the results are worth it!! Just dont drop the clay bar.

The Zaino site has great step by step instructions.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
everything Dave T said:) Dawn wash, clay bar, regular car wash-THEN polish/wax

I am a BIG believer in clay bars, Zaino has the best, Griot's garage has them too....you can go in Auto parts store and get one from Mother's too...not as good though IMHO.

You will be shocked all of the road grime and crap you'll get off of your car when you use it, just make sure you keep the car lubricated and just work a section at a time. The whole idea is it takes off ALL of your old polish/wax and you start FRESH, so you get a really deep shine.

I can clay bar my car in 1/2 hr

Dave T (BADVENM)

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I did the clay bar on my Viper it had very limited mileage on it. I thought it wouldnt need it since it was hardly driven and always in the garage. WRONG. The clay bar makes a huge difference.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Make sure you use plenty of lubrication ;) It's a pain to get off clay that sticks to the paint. Been there, done that, won't do it again.

cagleman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay I am probably gonna get rediculed for asking this: But what is the purpose of the washing with Dawn first? I hate sounding stupid..but in this case, no way around it :confused:

G

grcforce327

Okay I am probably gonna get rediculed for asking this: But what is the purpose of the washing with Dawn first? I hate sounding stupid..but in this case, no way around it :confused:

So that she can take care of your "needs" before you start on the car!! :D

cagleman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Kco....though I really enjoyed Grc and Roof's explanations as well :laugh:

Just went and bought a clay bar kit from Meguiars...will give it a shot tomorrow.

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use Mequiars Final show spray for the lubrication for the bar. It is a polish. Then after the clay bar do a wax job.

G

grcforce327

Thanks Kco....though I really enjoyed Grc and Roof's explanations as well :laugh:

Just went and bought a clay bar kit from Meguiars...will give it a shot tomorrow.

You left me no choice! :D I used Mothers clay and spray(available locally), and it does just fine! :2tu:

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You left me no choice! :D I used Mothers clay and spray(available locally), and it does just fine! :2tu:

I've used both the Mothers kit (first one I ever tried) and the Meguiars kit. The clay was identical, and both used a detail spray. Can't go wrong with either one! If you have any unused clay left, stick it in a ziploc and save it for next time.

Mark Hahn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As mentioned above I would highly recommend something like Griot's speed wax or Meguires final show spray for the lubrication. That is what Meguires and Griot's both recommend and it does work great. MGH

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have read on this forum people experiencing issues with the Claybar especially on a black car. I have read about hairline scratches....how do you know that you are not actually picking up any "crap" while claying that sticks to the clay and then scratches the car? I personally have used the mothers and feel it works great, but I am nervous about the possible scratching....Anyone?

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have read on this forum people experiencing issues with the Claybar especially on a black car. I have read about hairline scratches....how do you know that you are not actually picking up any "crap" while claying that sticks to the clay and then scratches the car? I personally have used the mothers and feel it works great, but I am nervous about the possible scratching....Anyone?

That's why it's important to have a completely clean car (and one of the reasons that Dawn is recommended prior to claying).

I also recommend working in small sections and thoroughly kneading the clay after each section. That way you move the contaminants you're picking up into the clay (and off the surface).

KC

OP
OP
R

roofum

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i did it last nite with a few brewski as my co pilot .it went pretty smooth.now i have to wash it and wax it again.i must say it looks pretty good .any way thanks to all yawl for the tips .
RABBI ROOFUM :cool: