Cleaned Terminals and New battery, Still clicks!! What's Next?

jason8416

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey guys I am having an issue with my 97 GTS. I did tons of research on my issue and a lot of viper owners were saying it most likely could be the battery terminals. Well I replaced the battery with a brand new one and the terminals looked perfect. I cleaned them, just in case. I went to crank the car and it still just clicked, I had to turn the key on/off about 5 times , it clicking all 5 times, then it cranked right up. I drove it around so the computer could relearn everything with the new battery. After about 15 minutes I pulled into the driveway and turned it off. I cranked it right up 7 times in a row without any issues. Could it be the starter solenoid or starter?? I would appreciate any other opinions or what direction I should take next. I will come home tomorrow after work and see if it cranks right up.:omg:

Mutts02GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have the ability to get under the car I would check the ground at the starter as well as the body ground and remote hot lead at the fuse block on the drivers side of the engine compartment. How many miles? It sounds like the brushes in your starter, my Durango did the same thing, I pulled the starter and the brushes were WAAAAYYYY past their life limit! This occured with no warning and like you I had replaced the battery, all battery leads, and cleaned all vehicle chassis grounds. Good Luck. Jeff

OP
OP
J

jason8416

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will check in to it. just hit 80,000 :).. just recently been giving me problems. It will still start, I just have to keep turning the key on and off till it finally turns over. I was thinking next would be the starter or maybe starter solenoid. Another guy on here had the same issue and he cleaned the terminals and it was fixed.. I tried that and it did it right when I put the new battery in..

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm thinking bad starter. An old trick is to tap the starter with a hammer. If it turns over after that, buy a new starter asap.

OP
OP
J

jason8416

Enthusiast
Reaction score
K Once the yard work it done I am going to mess with it some. Going to clean the ground wires by the Fuse box then try to crank it. If it still does it, Ill just replace the starter. Seems easy to get to. Going to replace the water pump, plugs and get some AB plug wires. Starter will prob. be on that list

OP
OP
J

jason8416

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well it cranked right up every time today. Still going to replace the starter.. Kind of embarrassing when you have to keep turning the key several times to start your VIPER

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte