Clear bra over factory stripes??

vinny2

Viper Owner
Reaction score
i had clear bra on my 06, with no stripes. i'm wondering if there are any appearance issues with the film over the factory stripes, before i put it on my 08? anyone with factory stripes and clear bra with some input?
thanks.

Reaction score
Unless you have a VERY talented guy doing it that does not over stretch or work it you will see air pockets where it crosses the lines.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
park in the sun after it is installed, and periodically take a microfiber cloth and press on the edges of the stripes, you will always have a couple of spots that may have a very slight pocket (usually on the very nose where there are so many curves and angles, I have none on the flat surface), but very few if any would ever be noticable from any distance other than when you are washing or waxing. I have had mine on for over a year now, and I just had a guy tell me yesterday that I should put a clear bra on it to protect it....he didn't even know it was already there

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm set up to do the full car (full set) this weekend. Interesting to read about some issue with the stripes. I think I'd rather live with some small air pockets than risk hood dings. I'm sure going to have that discussion with the installer.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Have two cars with stripes and clear bra. No air pockets, no issues whatsoever. In fact, it's still kinda hard to see on the SRTC.

33,000 mile on the GTS, 15,000 miles on the SRTC

voi9

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have the clear bra installed. No issues with the stripes. :2tu: Just make sure you go to someone who is an experienced installer. I also have the clear windshield protection installed also. They have both saved me many rock chip incidents. One's that I know of, and many I don't. :drive:

OP
OP
V

vinny2

Viper Owner
Reaction score
not familiar with windshield protection. is it just the same film installed on the glass?

voi9

Viper Owner
Reaction score
not familiar with windshield protection. is it just the same film installed on the glass?
No. It is thicker. It is amazing how you can't even tell that it is on the windshield. I understand that Nascar uses this material. I have mentioned this product to other forum members and to my surprise, no one seemed to be interested. I, for one, would not drive without it on my Viper and I even had it installed on my old 72' Chevy. If you are interested, send me a PM and I can give you the information of the installer that did my car. At least you can talk to him and see if someone in your area has this product. :2tu:

Last edited:

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No. It is thicker. It is mazing how you can't even tell that it is on the windshield. I understand that Nascar uses this material. I have mentioned this product to other forum members and to my surprise, no one seemed to be interested. I, for one, would not drive without it on my Viper and I even had it installed on my old 72' Chevy. If you are interested, send me a PM and I can give you the information of the installer that did my car. At least you can talk to him and see if someone in your area has this product. :2tu:

I've been listening! :) It's a GREAT idea. The only issue is glare at certain angles and with some types of sun glasses, the polarization aparently makes it worse.

There's actually a new material that's being developed precisely for this, but it's only distributed in Cali for the moment and it's pretty expensive.

voi9

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've been listening! :) It's a GREAT idea. The only issue is glare at certain angles and with some types of sun glasses, the polarization aparently makes it worse.

There's actually a new material that's being developed precisely for this, but it's only distributed in Cali for the moment and it's pretty expensive.
Hey City. :) Congrats on your new 08'! Look's great! :2tu: I have never experienced any kind of glare through my windshield on any angle. I have worn my transition glasses and sunglasses in the Viper on numerous occasions and have never experienced what you are describing regarding glare. :dunno: Did you actually experience this or did an installer tell you about this? Just curious to know.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey City. :) Congrats on your new 08'! Look's great! :2tu: I have never experienced any kind of glare through my windshield on any angle. I have worn my transition glasses and sunglasses in the Viper on numerous occasions and have never experienced what you are describing regarding glare. :dunno: Did you actually experience this or did an installer tell you about this? Just curious to know.
Good point. The glare (actually I don't think they used that word, but rather referred to some kind of "prismatic" effect) was the opinion of 2 installers. I've never seen an install but yours (and only from the outside). I still may try it if they don't charge an extra arm and leg. After 10,000 miles, my '01 windshield was sandblasted!

voi9

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good point. The glare (actually I don't think they used that word, but rather referred to some kind of "prismatic" effect) was the opinion of 2 installers. I've never seen an install but yours (and only from the outside). I still may try it if they don't charge an extra arm and leg. After 10,000 miles, my '01 windshield was sandblasted!
I paid $250 for the windshield protection. Feel free to check mine out next time we meet up. Hey, maybe we'll switch cars on the way to our next destination! :rolaugh: You can drive my 06' and I'll drive your new 08'! That is, only if you are willing to go down in HP. :lmao: :drive:

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
The installer of the clear bra on my 06 offered the windshield protection to me but I passed on it. Big mistake, should have paid the $250 for it. A windshield on a SRT-10 is about $800.

I expect to get about 20,000 miles out of my current windshield (at 15K now) before it becomes hard to see through.

Dan

voi9

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The installer of the clear bra on my 06 offered the windshield protection to me but I passed on it. Big mistake, should have paid the $250 for it. A windshield on a SRT-10 is about $800.

I expect to get about 20,000 miles out of my current windshield (at 15K now) before it becomes hard to see through.

Dan
EXACTLY!!!!!! :2tu: :headbang:

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 08 stripes are a pain. I have installed ClearMask on about 6 08s now with stripes and they increase the difficulty significantly. The stripes are about 8 mil thick and they do not wet sand the edges down or clear coat over them. The problem with that is the film needs to lay flush with the paint and the sharp edges of the stripes prevent that. They will lay down after a few days (once it has dried out) but there will still be a slight line there along the stripes where it will not lay in the groove.

Honestly I think its crazy to pay $3,000 for stripes that are left like that. They should be wet sanded and clear coated over.