Clunk on suspension unload

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been chasing a clunk for a while now....obviously unsuccessfully.

The car makes a metallic "clunk" noise from the rear when the suspension unloads....as when you go over a bump....doesn't make noise when you go up the bump, just when you go down after it...when the suspension unloads.

I thought it was the exhaust contacting the "ears" on the diff and machined them off.....but the clunk is still there. I put a rubber wrap on all the places on the exhaust that would likely contact anything on unload but so far I haven't found it. I'll keep chasing interference points but if anyone has had similar experience and it isn't the exhaust, please tell me what you did to correct.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I have had encountered a clunk-type sound when going over something like a manhole cover or similar small step; but, not something larger. It turned out to be a shock absorber. With the wheel off and suspension hanging, you could grab the top of the shock where the piston rod comes out and move it back and forth ever so slightly.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
take a wheel off and compress the suspension with a jack slowly. It will be much easier to check clearances. If all that check out your on to hubs, ball joints, etc...

OP
OP
D

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will do both of those things to be sure. I'll try to get some pix of the exhaust routing as well.....I think mine may be routed differently which is causing interference. Thx

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it possibly your shock bolts? I assume you're running aftermarket units, so there's about .063" slop in the mounting ears to the 0.5" bolts. Your springs may also be unseating from the collars and rattling - use helper springs.

OP
OP
D

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Dean, I'm running Penske's and have checked the springs/collars and they look OK. I'll check the bolts too.