Clutch bleeder issues

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I went to flush out my old clutch fluid yesterday since it was looking pretty dark and ran into a bit of a problem trying to get the system cleaned out. Originally I figured I'd just open the bleeder on the slave cylinder and either pump it out with the pedal or **** it out with a vacuum bleeder, but I had no luck with either. I opened the bleeder screw just a little bit because I didn't want to pull too much air past the threads, but I never did get any fluid out of the end of it. I had my dad pump the pedal slowly while I opened the screw up more and more and it never did push any fluid out of the end, but it did finally push it out of the threads and all down the inside of the bellhousing. I stuck a nail in the end of the bleeder to see if maybe I just had some junk in it, but it didn't feel like there was any kind of obstruction inside and I would have thought the pressure from the pedal would force anything out. I sucked most of the old stuff out of the resovoir for the time being and called it a day, but does anyone have any ideas why the bleeder isn't working? I tried using the vacuum pump with the pedal up and down with no difference.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The way bleeders work best for me is to pump it up and while someone holds the foot on the pedal, crack the bleeder open. With that said, you could just use a sirringe or turkey baster and **** out the fluid from the master one bit a the time and refill as needed until the fluid is clean. Takes a while but it is easy to do, been doing this on my vette and other cars.
I went to flush out my old clutch fluid yesterday since it was looking pretty dark and ran into a bit of a problem trying to get the system cleaned out. Originally I figured I'd just open the bleeder on the slave cylinder and either pump it out with the pedal or **** it out with a vacuum bleeder, but I had no luck with either. I opened the bleeder screw just a little bit because I didn't want to pull too much air past the threads, but I never did get any fluid out of the end of it. I had my dad pump the pedal slowly while I opened the screw up more and more and it never did push any fluid out of the end, but it did finally push it out of the threads and all down the inside of the bellhousing. I stuck a nail in the end of the bleeder to see if maybe I just had some junk in it, but it didn't feel like there was any kind of obstruction inside and I would have thought the pressure from the pedal would force anything out. I sucked most of the old stuff out of the resovoir for the time being and called it a day, but does anyone have any ideas why the bleeder isn't working? I tried using the vacuum pump with the pedal up and down with no difference.

OP
OP
MoparMap

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Yeah, that's pretty much what I settled on after making a bit of a mess. It looks like it's starting to cycle some of the old stuff up into the resovoir to darken it up a little, so at least some of the new fluid is getting down to the slave cylinder.