Clutch Chatter Revisited

cayman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OK. As indicated in my previous thread, we (wifey and I) changed out the clutch while fixing a rear oil seal leak. The old clutch was working fine but per most recommendations, we went ahead and changed it out while it was all torn apart. Got everything back together and bled the slave. Now I have clutch chatter when starting out from a dead stop in 1st. It dissappears immediately once the clutch is fully engaged, and all other shifts are smooth as butter. No vibrations in any gears at any speed. I did a search and found only a couple of threads pertaining to clutch chatter. There were a hand full of guys that has or had the same issue but no one cure was mentioned. Some said they live with it. Some suggested the clutch needed to be "broke in". Others suggested possible issues with the throw-out bearing and/or grease got on the clutch disk. As I mentioned in the previous thread, we replaced all the clutch components except the flywheel (all components were LUK brand). The flywheel appeared to have some hot spots on it but I sanded it carefully and evenly with 600 grit and wiped it clean before reinstalling it. I didn't have another flywheel handy and since I had no clutch issues before opening her up, I figured the flywheel couldn't be too bad off. At any rate, I just wanted to get a more updated feedback on this issue before I get the wife back under there to change out the flywheel (Just kidding! I'll give her a break on this one! :smirk:). Anybody have this issue with LUK or any other brand? Of all the clutches I've put in other cars, I've never had this issue. As far as break-in, we don’t put that many miles on this car so a 500 mile break-in could translate in to a whole year of driving! I know, I know. Drive it more!

Atppilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine did the same thing for about a 100 miles. It should go away.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
new clutch vs old unmatched flywheel= clutch chatter, or damaged pilot bearing

OP
OP
C

cayman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I heard you couldn't or shouldn't resurface these flywheels? Or at least that's what I recall the manual saying. :dunno: Pilot bearing is new.

At any rate, out of more than a couple of dozen clutch changes I've done, three of which were on C5 vettes, I replaced or resurfaced the flywheel on four. I only had clutch chatter on one and it was on an '81 Porsche 928, but it went away after the ex-wife wrapped it around a tree!:rolleyes:

I'll give it a few miles and if it doesn't seem to be getting better, I'll swap out the flywheel. Should I go with the Fidanza or stock?

It might go away, but you should have had the flywheel surfaced. A stock or LUK should not be chattering.

Last edited:

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard you couldn't or shouldn't resurface these flywheels? Or at least that's what I recall the manual saying. :dunno: Pilot bearing is new.

At any rate, out of more than a couple of dozen clutch changes I've done, three of which were on C5 vettes, I replaced or resurfaced the flywheel on four. I only had clutch chatter on one and it was on an '81 Porsche 928, but it went away after the ex-wife wrapped it around a tree!:rolleyes:

I'll give it a few miles and if it doesn't seem to be getting better, I'll swap out the flywheel. Should I go with the Fidanza or stock?

You can resurface them. I've had quite a few done.
I have heard the same thing quoted from the manual.....I need to read it. I just haven't because I know what it needs and what every aftermarket clutch manufacturer wants which is a flat clean surface ;)
I'm not a fan of aluminum ones either, especially if you have any "parking lot cam lope" (****)

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can resurface them. I've had quite a few done.
I have heard the same thing quoted from the manual.....I need to read it. I just haven't because I know what it needs and what every aftermarket clutch manufacturer wants which is a flat clean surface ;)
I'm not a fan of aluminum ones either, especially if you have any "parking lot cam lope" (****)

The only problem is that you lose travel if you do not shim. There so little travel to begin with, shifting could be affected if you take it down too far.