Clutch grabs at different spots

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My clutch’s friction point changes depending on the temperature. When the car is warm it works perfectly the Clutch grabs near the top. But when I first start the car the clutch grabs just an inch above the floor. It takes a good 10 minutes of driving to get the clutch to grab properly. My only thought is I have air in the system. What do you think?

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Believe it or not, the service manual has a recommendation to pump the clutch pedal quickly 10 times in a row. I can vouch for this helping, although I can't understand why.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The clutch system is like brakes: You push on the pedal and something at the other end moves, let go, and it returns. There is a high spot where the air will collect and so that's where the bleeder screw is located. There is a light spring behind the release bearing so it is always resting on the pressure plate fingers (i.e. no take-up gap.) Bleeding seems like an idea, except you said it varies depending on temperature.

Other than bleeding, the only other "adjustment" is this pumping procedure. Based on what I know and described, I am guessing that the pumping jiggles air, the spring, or perhaps helps reposition the static location of the slave/release bearing?

As a last resort, you may have a slave cylinder going bad. In my case, it started to leak, so I knew what was happening. Upon removal and disassembly (destructive, they cannot be repaired) I found that a crimped metal ring to keep the rubber seal in place had loosened it's "grip" and the rubber seal (think of a 2" rubber o-ring but with a square cross section) had started to twist. I am partially making up this theory, but since it twisted first before it started to leak, maybe it is dragging and the resistance to movement is changing it's resting position. I don't really know, but if bleeding doesn't take care of it, there isn't much other hardware that is involved.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960