Clutch mushy & engages just off floor?

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just had the dealer install a new transmission. (third gear problem) and while it was out I decided to have them put in a new clutch and pressure plate. Now when the pedal is pressed it feels like pressing in slush. When the pedal is let out it catches almost instantly. Before it was changed, the pedal engaged with little movement, now it must go all the way to the floor.

The clutch installed is a "Centerforce" clutch and pressure plate also a new throw out bearing.

I have bled the system according to the shop manual from the bleeder on the trans (above the feed line).

Is there an adjustment? Did I pick a "non compatible" clutch? I really hate this.

I need HELP! Thanks!

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wait, do you have to push the clutch alll the way to the floor to shift?? i never tried shifting without pushing it all the way down cuz i was afraid of stripping the gears or something. but, you can shift without goin ALL the way down!??!

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Though it has been said that the best clutch is the stock one, Centerforce clutches will not cause you to have a slushy pedal. Sounds like you still have air in the system. I have found that sometimes, the service manual is less than adequate in it's service procedures. I like to use the methods given on this site since most of these guys/gals track their cars and have much experience doing the correct routines. Having said that, have you tried this procedure:

Bleeding the clutch by Jerry Scott and Chuck Tator

1. Remove the cap from the reservoir.

2. Have someone in the car push the clutch petal to the floor and hold.

3. Put a 11 mm box wrench on the bleeder valve, then hold a cotton rag over the opening to catch the fluid. (I co
uld not get a hose to fit over the hex. shaped bleeder valve.)

4. Open the valve and let out a small amount into the rag.

5. Pump the clutch rapidly, a minimum of 10 times and repeat the bleeding.

6. Fill the reservoir to the step.

7. Pump rapidly 10 times, hold to the floor and bleed a third time.

8. Pump rapidly 10 times, then refill the reservoir to the step. (The level will go down after you pump the last
time.)

9. Replace the cap and your are finished.

added by Chuck Tator:

10. Wait at least an hour! Have someone step down on the Clutch
ONCE and hold it down!
Crack the bleeder loose-Just a smidgen[1/16 of a turn] and listen
for the last of the air to come out of the system..
Repeat one more time.
Top off the Reservoir.

If you have and you still have a problem. Most likely it's the slave cylinder that's causing it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960