Clutch squeak

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2001 RT has a squeak when pressing the clutch pedal. I checked the linkage, and the squeak is coming from the rod that goes to the clutch master cylinder. I applied a very thin application of silicone grease on the master cylinder shaft, and that has almost eliminated the squeak.

Is this a sign that the clutch master cylinder is starting to fail, or does the clutch master cylinder rod need a little lube (non-petroleum based?) now and again? Thank you.

Grisoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine did the same thing till I shot some spray lube on the bearing pivots in the pedal linkage. Squeak long gone . . . .

OP
OP
C

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I checked the pivot points, and the squeaking sound is definately coming from where the rod is going into the clutch master cylinder. But, it can't hurt to put a little dry lube on them too.

OP
OP
C

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting...was it a bushing in the clutch linkage (like the birdcage) that failed on your Viper? My linkage doesn't have the birdcage bushings...it has some sort of metal clip along with what looks like nylon washers.

When I crawl under the dash and operate the clutch linkage by hand, there are no squeaks coming from the pivot points...just from the shaft going into the clutch master cylinder.

Maybe it is time to give Chuck a shout. Thanks Chad.

Mine did the same thing. It was a rubber bushing that had torn. Tator had the part in stock, but its been a couple years.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went and got in my floorboard to try and jog my memory exactly where the bushing was. IIRC, it was a bushing where the clutch pedal assembly is on the rod that also holds the brake and gas pedal. I do remember the entire clutch pedal assembly had to come out of the car to replace the bushing.

Another side effect of my bushing going bad was when pressing in the clutch, you would feel the pedal "hang up" about 1/2 way to the floor. When driving hard this wasn't an issue, b/c I was pushing the clutch in harder/faster, but when just cruising and smooth shifting, it'd make you think you were all the way to the floor when you were actually only 1/2 way down.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960