CNC vs. Hand Ported Cylinder Head Upgrades?

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greg did my heads a couple months ago.

I kept the stock cam (in my '97 GTS) and gained about 60 RWHP (on a Mustang Dyno...so more on a dynojet). I also upgraded to 1.7 rockers.

Greg did the heads to achieve most benefit at midrange which I thought would be best for road racing (that's why I did not go with a high lift cam).

I'll have the car at the local track for the first time in a couple weeks and then at Mid America in May.

I'll let you know.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greg did my heads a couple months ago.

I kept the stock cam (in my '97 GTS) and gained about 60 RWHP (on a Mustang Dyno...so more on a dynojet). I also upgraded to 1.7 rockers.

Greg did the heads to achieve most benefit at midrange which I thought would be best for road racing (that's why I did not go with a high lift cam).

I'll have the car at the local track for the first time in a couple weeks and then at Mid America in May.

I'll let you know.

how much exactly is a mustang Dyno off?? I hear 13% is average

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like about 15% based on numbers from my own car.

I think the dynojet #'s are closer to real world but that's JMO.

When the Mustang dyno guys estimate power at the crank they add 25% to the rear wheel power...that's nowhere near real driveline losses which are more like 12 - 13% so that tells you something.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like about 15% based on numbers from my own car.

I think the dynojet #'s are closer to real world but that's JMO.

When the Mustang dyno guys estimate power at the crank they add 25% to the rear wheel power...that's nowhere near real driveline losses which are more like 12 - 13% so that tells you something.

wow thats good to know since I got my numbers from a mustang dyno and NOW after reading what you said my "real" numbers seem more accurate (was worried my mods were crap for a second there).

Thanks Ray

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just an update on my Greg Good heads at the track...first time with the new heads today...

WOW!

Straight away speed/acceleration is unbelievable.

You close fast on your competition on the straights even if they're better in some of the corners (not talking Vipers here...Porsches and Corvettes and the like).

Only problem now is I'm gonna go through brake pads even quicker!

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my next mod is a set of hdeads from Greg and a cam from him as well.

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A Mustang dyno can give you actual torque #'s for your car, their HP #'s are always off because they calculate all parasitic losses in their #'s including wind resistance?? But you can take their torque #'s and use the Hp - TQ conversion equation and figure out your actual rear wheel HP #'s then multiply by the stated correction factor on the dyno sheet and that should be a # close to a dyno jet.

My Greg good heads gave me a 611 rear wheel Hp with just heads cam and Mopar ECU and 70mm throttle bodies!! Go Greg Good!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960