Code Reader Question

sdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When using a code reader that indicates a problem with engine bank 1 or engine bank 2, is the driver side bank 1 or bank 2 on a Viper. I believe this is determined by the location of the #1 cylinder. Is bank 1 and the location of the #1 cylinder the same side on all V engine cars, or can this vary from car to car?

I had P0138 and P0141 O2S codes on my 96 GTS and from the service manual thought this indicated the right rear O2S. Changed it out and the code kept coming back to I took it to the dealer and he said the problem was the left rear OS. 96 service manual says PO138 is right rear (or just) downstream OS@ shorted to voltage ans P0141 is right rear (or just) downstream O2S heater failure. The generic code reader at auto zone says PO138 and P0141 relate to bank 1 sensor 2.

Does the (or just) in the service manual mean a P0138 or P0141 code can be right or left side and you just gotta figure it out? That does not seem all that specific, but I could not find a code specific in the manual to the left rear O2S.

Last edited:

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes bank 1 is left side, but I have had this problem before on other cars. Replace the one and if the code persisits take the one you replaced with and put in on the other side.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte