cognac interior

NHL2133

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i found a pic that i think is a good example of cognac and shows the colors accurately.

01f2.jpg

Thanks Big. You can really tell by that picture that the Cognac is much more brown then then Tan.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you are right Joshua - big difference. here is a tan pic out of a 94 RT/10. pretty decent pic too that shows the true tan colors IMO.

1194y3.jpg

here is a slightly better pic of a tan interiored 95.

95d1.jpg

as you can tell, the cognac has alot of red/orange in it compared to the tan.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are a couple posts I made on this site back in 1999 in regards to the Cognac interior:

MESSAGE>31034
SUBJECT>Re: GTS Color decision
POSTER>Keith Anderson (Minnesota)
EMAIL>[email protected]
DATE>Thursday, 1 April 1999, at 9:07 p.m.

Last weekend I saw a brand new 99 GTS, solid black with the optional tan leather interior. Absolutely GORGEOUS. But that's my opinion and your buddy not liking silver is his opinion. Choose the color YOU like. Keith

MESSAGE>32078
SUBJECT>Re: Made up my mind on a color for my GTS. Black with silver stirpes connolly interior.
POSTER>Keith Anderson (Minnesota)
EMAIL>[email protected]
DATE>Thursday, 8 April 1999, at 7:45 p.m.

I haven't seen the Black/Black comination but I HAVE seen the Black/Cognac and let me tell you, it is AWESOME. Well worth the 500 extra clams they charge for it. Keith

Eight years later my opinion hasn't changed and I'm finally getting my black/cognac '99 in May!

----------------------------------
Keith

'97 GTS - sold
'99 GTS - arriving in May
'70 El Camino SS

SuperSaiks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ah the good old black vs cognac discussion.

I have a steel grey/cognac rt and think its the nicest color combo made hence the reason why i tracked one down and flew down to the states from canada to pick it up 1 of 99 made.

Cognac is rarier and was made from 99-02 (94-95 Gen1 but not the same)it was a 750$ US option. On black, silver, steel grey, graphite, saphire it is a great contrast. However on colored cars like red, blue, yellow I prefer the black.

For those guys that want to keep the interior in mint shape use a leather cleaner/conditioner on the steering wheel and shifter ( or replace the shifter with a MGW and save your stock shifter from turning black etc.

Cognac>black

D

dano

I'm having the cognac interior of my 02 rt10 replaced with black and red by venzano vipers, is there any reason not to just trash the old leather?

Howdy!

Aren't you the one who posted about how to shift since you haven't ever driven a standard and were learning in your new Viper?

Why would you want to switch out your interior? Most V's have black (I do) but the cognac is rare. Why not leave the car they way it came?

D

dano

This is sad to read this stuff, I know it's about personal choice but you DO realize that only 43 were made in your color combination? And that sometime way down the road you have killed the collectibility of the car? Why even buy the car if you are going to change it?
Oh, the compay that made the leather is out of business so the likelihood that it could ever be restored back to original is nil. That's the other reason you do not want to throw the pieces away if you go through with it, they ain't making any more and someone will need them. I don't know why anyone thinks it's an old fashioned color either, about half the new Ferraris come with that color interior. With red being the most common exterior. Only color combo I would ever have in a Ferrari. Red with Tan. And if I ever add an RT10 to the stable it will have Cognac for sure. Personal choice I guess.
But the irony is that you ARE so young, you may keep that car forever. And 30 years from now it WILL matter. I guess you learn from experience, I'm currently restoring an old corvette that came from the factory with a one of two made paint job, what did I do? I repainted it after two years with a different color, now I'm going to be up to the gazoo in judges who won't believe it because it's a repaint and not original.
Best advice if you change it out...don't dye anything and keep and store the whole original interior. My bet is that even just a few years out folks are going to be checking for window sticker and option codes on Gen 2's and will prize originality over modded cars unless the original parts come with the car.

Your answers are: He's 22

His other posts state that he learned to drive a stick in his new Viper.

Also, asked about redline shifting in same sentence as not knowing how to shift.

Now the interior thing....

This is the stuff that fuels snide comments from non-Viper owners. :bonker:

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeh, good suggestion on cleaning the leather. I have the cognac interior on my Viper and an aftermarket leather interior in my Z06. My late boyfriend was the master at leather, he put the interior in my vette and I love it.

A lot of people put a leather protectant on it and forget about cleaning it first. I use something called Leathermaster-has both the cleaner and the protectant bottles in the kit.

In between cleanings I love to use Lexol, smells like leather :nana: and looks awsome. I stay away from the leather wipes, they good for a day, but in the long run I think they dry out the leather.

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When i used to have it, SOME people liked it, BUT the vast majority hated it

I think I remember from an old post of yours that the cognac was showing a lot of wear. I wonder if that's part of the reason why some people who saw yours didn't like it.

I don't know if age has anything to do with preference. Young or old, everyone who has seen my interior has made positive comments about it. I bought mine from a guy who is 67. I'm under 50 and can still pedal a bike over 400 miles in a 24-hour race, although I know some guys over 50 who can do that too. ;)

As far as preferences, I personally don't like spoilers or stripes on a Viper. I think they take away from the body curves and natural beauty of the car. As you said, different strokes.

OP
OP
P

phantred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your answers are: He's 22

His other posts state that he learned to drive a stick in his new Viper.

Also, asked about redline shifting in same sentence as not knowing how to shift.

Now the interior thing....

This is the stuff that fuels snide comments from non-Viper owners. :bonker:

My posting career hasn't even begun on this forum and already I have a fan club starting.

My situation always seems to quickly distuingish people in to 2 groups.

Group 1: "Hey, nice car, welcome to the club."

Group 2: "arg you are doing what makes you happy with your money and somehow that makes me angry about everything from your age to your driving ability to your interior color preference, so I am going to post in any thread you make and just generally be a ****"

Why not just smile and be a nice guy? It's not that hard, even if you are just pretending.

OP
OP
P

phantred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as preferences, I personally don't like spoilers or stripes on a Viper. I think they take away from the body curves and natural beauty of the car. As you said, different strokes.

I feel the same way, a buddy of mine keeps going on and on about how he would have the racing stripes. I don't hate them, but they're just not for me.

OKViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow! I guess I am both sides of the Cognac and Stripes fence:

I have a 1 of 26 made Black/Silver Striped GTS with Cognac!

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The cognac is also a different leather altogher from the Connelly(sp?) co. much different feel than the std leather. this is the same supplier of hydes to Rolls Royce and Aston(or used to be), i believe the company went out of business

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When i used to have it, SOME people liked it, BUT the vast majority hated it

I think I remember from an old post of yours that the cognac was showing a lot of wear. I wonder if that's part of the reason why some people who saw yours didn't like it.

I don't know if age has anything to do with preference. Young or old, everyone who has seen my interior has made positive comments about it. I bought mine from a guy who is 67. I'm under 50 and can still pedal a bike over 400 miles in a 24-hour race, although I know some guys over 50 who can do that too. ;)

Wrong, my steering wheel had alot of wear, everything else was great looking. I also had some slight wear on the drivers seat in a few small spots. The reason they didn't like it is because they thought it was an ugly color.

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I personally LOVE the spoiler and stripes. Everyone who has seen my car after i did all the modifications says it looks 10 times better then it used to. Me and you DEFINATELY have two different tastes. I just think that the stock look is way to plain for me.
Thats also why i'm buying the diamondback hood, you probably don't like that either huh?
We could take a pole next time i'm home and see which one people like most, your car or mine.
I'll put money down that the majority of people will pick mine especially the younger crowd.
BUT like i said and you said, different strokes for different folks. For example some people would rather drive a vette then a viper, NOW THAT'S CRAZY!