Colorado Viper owners: Cruise & Food on 5-Mar-2005

Steamroller

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We had a good turn out and a lot of fun during our "Cruise & Food" last month (Jan). We met at Red Robin for lunch, and then drove around afterwards. Here are a few of the highlights:

- Having the Red Robin mascot standing at the parking lot entrance say "A Viper just pulled in before you!" to everyone of us as we showed up to eat. I think I would have reacted the same way.

- Hanging out with a great group of people.

- Seeing this guy stopped at an intersection in his car fumbling over himself trying to get his camera phone out so he could get a picture of all of us driving through the intersection. Again, I think I would have reacted the same way.

- Good food.

- Driving around on a sunny Sunday afternoon in the cool/crisp air.

Who is up for another one? I propose noon on 5-Mar (Saturday). Last time, we met in Highlands Ranch. I think the Highlands Ranch area was a good "middle ground" between people that live in east Denver, the front range and Colorado Springs. Are there any good Chinese restaurants in that area? What other restaurants in that area would be good to meet/eat at?

Let's get a big turnout!

S-JC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Count me in!

Of course, I'll have to argue with you on the Chinese food, but we'll figure something out. Maybe Italian?

Hopefully the snow won't dump for the preceding week. The Snake hasn't seen too much action lately!

CO GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What do think about a drive down SantaFe Dr. to Sedalia... Lunch at Bud's Bar (Denver area tradition, great burgers, open since 1947)... Then up the windy road to where the pavement ends at Sprucewood?

NHL2133

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I vote for the Chophouse in downtown Denver! Sure they are used to the Avalance coming after games, but they've probably never seen anything like 10 Vipers pulling in for a lunch!

OP
OP
S

Steamroller

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am up for about anything for lunch, but... let's make absolutely sure we go somewhere that has plenty of parking. Any thoughts?

CO GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey I like the Chophouse in lodo since Josh is buying my lunch! Sure beats the burger in Sedalia!

Another idea is to talk to a Sonic drive in. I know they will reserve spaces for groups such as ours. That would solve any parking issue we might have somewhere else.

A more upscale place would be J Alexanders at County Line and I-25. Since they sit in the corner of a HUGE parking lot it would be easy for us to park away from others.

David

OP
OP
S

Steamroller

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Sonic would be fun... if it is not cold outside, which it may be. Thus, I think we should go to the Chophouse. We can still grab a dessert or something at Sonic afterwards. Will someone please post the address for the Chophouse? Thanks!

Once it warms up, I think going to Sonic will be fun. Good suggestion, CO GTS!

NHL2133

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1735 19th Street,Suite 100
Denver, CO 80202
Phone: 303-296-0800
Web site: www.chophouse.com

A little info: This 1930’s brew pub offers seven micro brewed beers, classic cocktails and eclectic menu, big band music and a great atmosphere!

Now that I think about it, Sonic sounds great, I don't want David to eat so much I have to take out a loan! Also, if anyone is interested to come up north, there's a nice place here in Greeley called JB's. It's kinda small, but has good (covered) parking (like Sonic). You can have your order brought to your car (like Sonic) or you can eat inside. The food is great, and the price is even better! :cool:

OP
OP
S

Steamroller

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JB's sounds like a great establishment, but I think it may be too far away for some of the likely attendees. Some of the attendees live in south Denver or Colorado Springs. I live fairly close to Greeley, so I am fine with it, though.

Sonic would be a fun place to meet, but like a stated earlier, it is likely going to be cold on the day we all meet. I still think we should definitely meet there for lunch/dinner once the weather warms up.

Thus, I still vote for the Chophouse... and Sonic afterwards for dessert.

Now, who else is going to join us? The bigger the group, the better!

S-JC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Someone's going to have to assure me that the Chophouse has plenty of parking. My general rule of thumb is I don't even take the Viper downtown without knowing exactly where I'm going, how steep all driveways are, and that I will get a great parking spot.

If all good, then my wife and I will certainly be there!

NHL2133

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, if you consider the Avs and the Bronco's usually have post-game dinners there, I'd guess the parking is fine. 20 Avalanche players + families + coaches + executives = a whole heck of a lot of people! I know for a fact that Temmu Selanne owns a '96 GTS, and I doubt he'd take it anywhere that didn't have ample space...just a thought.

CO GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
S-JC,
Every year I run several autocrosses in the Coors field parking lots. They can setup a track in one of those that is over a mile long!

Anyway you are right, you really have to watch your route when you go downtown. I have a specific route that I take to the autocrosses. Lodo has a few wicked dips at some intersections.

And I am with you, perhaps worse! When I go somewhere like downtown and park I like to leave it where I can actually see it or pay a vallet to watch it (I still park it myself).

Well it looks like I need to scout out a route to the Chophouse.

David
'01 yellow GTS

OP
OP
S

Steamroller

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If there is a question as to how safe it is to get to the Chophouse and whether or not there is a good place to park, I think we should consider going somewhere else... just a thought.

S-JC... You had suggested Italian. Is there an Italian place you can recommend?

NHL2133

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I realize this is off topic but I have to ask while I'm thinking about it. Anyone have any plans to go to the Denver Auto Show at the end of March/early April?

NHL2133

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still vote for JB's ;) . I know it's quite far north, but the food can't be beat, and Estes park/RMNP would be a nice destination after words! Plus I know the owner of the restaurant, and I'm sure he'd be willing to rope off parking lot space for the cars! Just a though, or more of a pipe dream I guess. So it's up to you.

PS Dave, are you still giving me a ride? :2tu:

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Estes Park down to I70 sounds good if mountain roads are clear. Also, going early mornings is best for the cruise as there is much less traffic and better opportunity to actually do the speed limit and not be stuck behind slower traffic.

CO GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My vote for eating and driving is still somewhere down south. I like to stay away from gravel and the odds of gravel being in the mountains is higher this time of year.

Josh,
If the weather holds your good to go with me. Hey, do you go to UNC? I graduated from there back when the earth first started to cool.

Dave
2001 Yellow GTS

GTzViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was great meeting all of you last time. As the weather gets better we need to do this more often.
I'm in for March 5th.
The Chop House sounds good to me also, there is a parking lot right next to it. I don't know how much it costs $5-$8? I know the food is great!
Either way what matters is the good company and the drive (of course). :2tu:

NHL2133

Enthusiast
Reaction score
North, South, Central...here's an idea, lets go to Grand Junction! :rolleyes: Maybe we should just draw straws or have a lottery? I'm just kidding anyway. Let's weigh the facts...
1. Must be centrally located (Denver area).
2. Everyone thinks the Chop House is a good idea, but is unsure about the streets/parking in lodo on a Saturday afternoon.
3. Mother nature ***** in Colorado during the month of March.

We still have 11 days to decide. Any other ideas? Anyone have their heart set on some place?

Dave, I don't go to UNC, but my girlfriend does, so I spend most of my time there. Are you a Greeley native? I'm looking forward to seeing your GTS, either from inside, or just standing next to it!

OP
OP
S

Steamroller

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got off of the phone with Maggiono's. The downtown Denver location does not have its own parking... you must pay for parking approximately one block away. The one in Englewood has plenty of parking. This location actually has its own parking plus it has an adjacent parking lot from an empty building they own (both parking lots are visible from the inside of the restaurant).

I ate at the Maggiono's in Chicago... the food was absolutely outstanding. I propose we meet at the one in Englewood. Here is their web site address:

http://www.maggianos.com/

What do you think?

S-JC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Maggiano's indeed! I've been dying to eat there and never remember to try it out. The location is superb because there's the possibility of taking a road out east where civilization ends. Or we could cruise south on I-25--the speed limit is 75 south of Castle Rock.

OP
OP
S

Steamroller

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless anyone has a strong objection to Maggiano's, let's plan to meet there. I need to make reservations soon, so I would appreciate everyone responding that plans to attend. Thanks!

GTzViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Colorado Viper owners: Cruise & Food on 5-Mar-2005

I've been to this Maggianos(south) many times (some with the Viper) parking is not a problem even if we show up with twenty Vipers.
Count me in.

George.