Coming up on 30,000 miles on GTS - service engine soon light is on

vicj

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Anyone know what I can expect to be done @ the 30,000 mile service and ballpark cost on my 97 GTS?? :dunno::dunno:

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are talking about the "Check Engine" light, it's not a service reminder. Your vehicle has some sort of issue which should be addressed ASAP.

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are talking about the "Check Engine" light, it's not a service reminder. Your vehicle has some sort of issue which should be addressed ASAP.
Get the code your setting read on a scan tool, as said above there are no automatic reminders set for mileage on Vipers. You have an issue of some sort, could be minor, could be major.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Make sure your gas cap is screwed on tight. If it leaks, just a little, it will throw a code. New cap is an easy, inexpensive fix.

Dealership scan tool will pinpoint the problem.

Could also be plug wires, or O2 sensors.

Best to get it checked out if tightening the cap does not clear the code.

csmwiese

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry to say that from your thread you can tell you don’t know much about repairing/maintenance of vehicles. Anyone that does now how to, that would be a stupid question. There is no need to guess on what it is or to check your gas cap and buy a new cap……..simply get the code pulled and it will tell you all you need to know about starting the repair of the problem. If you do just get it pulled, post what you find….but I have my doubts that you will be able to repair it yourself. Maybe you should just take it to your repair shop. Sorry

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After a good laugh, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say that he was asking a TWO part question. One about the check engine light. The other about once he brings the car to a shop what to expect for a 30K mile service since i assume that is about the current mileage of his Viper. I'll answer the 2nd part since yall took care of the 1st.

@ 30K miles you'll be looking at doing some of the basic stuff like:
-Sparkplugs
-engine oil
-trans fluid
-diff fluid
-air filters

Brake fluid and clutch fluid should prob be done as well, but make sure your tech knows how to properly bleed a Vipers clutch system:2tu:

Vicj, Are you the original owner of your viper and do you know if any maintinance has ever been done on her besides oil changes?

If you would like, i can post a link to this thread in our MD/VA regional section and try to get a couple recommendations on reputable places to bring your viper for service in your area.

OP
OP
V

vicj

Viper Owner
Reaction score
For clarity..... I do not have a check engine light on..... it simply says service engine soon light!! I just wondered what this usually means in terms of service around the 30,000 mark. And NO, I am not the original owner of the vehicle. Bought it with 19K miles on it.

Thanks in advance!

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Apparently your not understanding the six posts above........... A "Service Engine Soon Light" IS NOT A SERVICE REMINDER. YOUR VEHICLE HAS A PROBLEM WHICH SHOULD BE ADDRESSED BY A KNOWLEDGEABLE VIPER MECHANIC!

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
An orange light with a picture of an engine, right? Drive car to nearest Auto shop / Dodge dealer and ask them to plug in a code reader and tell you what the fault code is. When you know what the code is pointing to thank your local auto shop then find a good Viper Tech in your area.

It could be something small, 02 sensor on the exhaust system etc .......Or it could be something more serious. The code reader plugs in under the dashboard to the left hand side of the clutch pedal. ......Posted that just incase your nearest auto shop does not know where to look. Its a 5min job, Once the code reader has been plugged in it will go through a sequence and reset the fault code. Then if you continue driving the car without curing the problem the light will come on again a few miles later.

Im getting this on my car as I have removed the cats, I need to purchase some replacement 02 Sims.