computer swap-out help

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just received my new computer from DC Performance. I see where the computer is located, but it appears I will have to remove the upper radiator hose to get at it. Is there a way to do this without removing the hose? If not, do I need to partially drain the radiator first?

Thanks in advance for the help.

zen garage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got mine today too. I think the easiest way to do the swap would be to remove the air intake, upper and lower, which will give you plenty of room to get to the screws and the three plugs.
I would have installed mine, but my hex bits are at work and you need to disconnect the battery. I will have mine in monday morning if the weather clears and will post my findings.

Carleton

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just had my Mopar controller reprogramed at DC on Friday along with a dyno run. My mods and stats are below.

Carleton

OP
OP
V

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just got mine today too. I think the easiest way to do the swap would be to remove the air intake, upper and lower, which will give you plenty of room to get to the screws and the three plugs.
I would have installed mine, but my hex bits are at work and you need to disconnect the battery. I will have mine in monday morning if the weather clears and will post my findings.

I was afraid the battery would need to be disconnected too. I hope this doesn't sound too stupid, but how do you do that on a Gen 3?

zen garage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the only way to disconnect that battery is by going through the the trunk. Lift the carpet and you will see an access panel on the left, remove the rather large hex screws and disconnect. The hex screws are a pain in the ass. Disconnect battery from there, install new computer, reconnect battery. Make sure your keys are not in the car, because it will go into theft mode and lockdown. Use key to manually open driver door, start car and voila.
Pm me if you would like my phone numberand I can walk you through it.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Use key to manually open driver door"

Better to just leave the window down and use the inside handle. Never had to use that key and hope to never have to.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Carlelton, I see thay you are using a cooler thermostat. What have you done to make the fan come on at a lower temperture so you don't fry the cooler thermostat? Does Roe reprogram the fan so it will come on at whatever temp you want. I am now working on a piggyback fan control kit that will allow you to adjust the temp that the fan comes on and off while also turning the fan on when the A/C is turned on.

OP
OP
V

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help, guys. Just finished the install and it was a piece of cake. For any others that are about to do this here are the steps:

1. Open trunk and lift carpeting. On the left side is the battery access cover. There are 5 hex bolts that hold it down. I had to run to the hardware store to buy the proper hex drive. Remove cover and dissconnect battery.

2. Remove airbox and filters. Very easy, so no need to dicribe this process. Takes about 3 minutes.

3. Once the airbox is out of the way, you can get to the computer pretty easily (located on the driverside, just to the right of the upper radiator hose). Disconnect the 3 harness connectors (they came off easily). Two 3/16 bolts hold it in. Use a 3" extension and they are easy to remove. Replace with new computer and reconnect the harnesses.

4. Recoonect battery and replace cover.

5. Use manual keyport to re-enter the car and start it up. Mine crancked up instantly and idled fine.

Going out now for a test ride. I'll post my observations later today.

Thanks again for the help.

Carleton

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Carlelton, I see thay you are using a cooler thermostat. What have you done to make the fan come on at a lower temperture so you don't fry the cooler thermostat? Does Roe reprogram the fan so it will come on at whatever temp you want. I am now working on a piggyback fan control kit that will allow you to adjust the temp that the fan comes on and off while also turning the fan on when the A/C is turned on.

I'm sorry, I don't know the answer to this question as DC Performance recommended this and did the work.

Carleton

Carleton

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Do you have any sound clips carleton?

No , I don't. The mopar race exhaust to me sounds alittle "boaty" at idle but in the middle and high rpms really comes alive. Also, there is a drone at crusing that takes getting use to. I'll try this week to make a sound clip and post it.

Carleton

nazology

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Carleton. Im buying the race exhaust this week. Did you just have it installed at the dealer? Thats where im having it done. Ive just heard some weird things about the install of it, like switching the front hangers to the back? Just looking for facts about what needs to be done cause ive heard some different things. Let me know please.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qdog