Cone's brake ducting kit

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cone\'s brake ducting kit

Has anyone used their brake ducting kit? I've been looking for some brake ducting to cool the fronts and this is the only one I've seen that doesn't mount underneath the front fascia. I don't want to rip off my cooling ducts if I go off track. If you've used one can you post some feed back. I saw some pics in the archives but want some more details if possible. If there are any other kits/options available to get the same effect please let me know. Thanks
-Jonathan

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Re: Cone\'s brake ducting kit

El Diablo is the Devil on wheels, but he is also going faster every time he goes out. He is right that the Porsche Air Deflectors are cheap, but in a very,very short time he will be too fast for them. Henry ducted his brakes from a spot in the radiator support that Bobby Woodchuck found worked the best, and it makes a terrific difference. Henry, who is somewhere beyond anal into the realm of godly meticulousness, improved on the idea and made it look very finished.I am sure, true to Mr. Cone's directive to make a better mousetrap that he only spent 1500 man hours in the project that should return him a profit in 2065.In other words, it will be good ole Southern boy stuff that werks and iz **** fine werkminshipp. Git it fur he figures he shuud ask mo money for it!!!

PS - Mr. Devil , you might as well get yours too, as your brake pad life will increase over 2 fold, and you ARE too fast now!!

OP
OP
R

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks to those that replied. I thought there would be more responses to my question, given the amount of people who track their cars. Anyone... (crickets chirping)
smile.gif

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Curious as to how people are determining if their deflectors are "crap"...I have the porsche deflectors, and want to know how to quantify this opinion....

BTW, how many track events should a set of brakeman III's last for a new guy? (On stoptechs)

Bill? Bueller?

SSpeed Racer

Enthusiast
Reaction score

BTW, how many track events should a set of brakeman III's last for a new guy? (On stoptechs)

Depending on your driving and track layout, the pads should last at least 3 events(2 day events). Mine if I am lucky will only last 2 races!!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bugeater:
Curious as to how people are determining if their deflectors are "crap"

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I boiled my fluid with the Porsche deflectors. So I went to PepBoys and bought a couple of $8 air inlet ducts and plastic ties. No more boil.

Driving style probably has a lot to do with it also.

ElDiablo Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I boiled my fluid too, plus I boiled the power steeting fluid too. So I got Stoptech front with Brakeman pads and brakeman fluid and have no problems since.
The best brakes for the $. It will cost you more to keep replacing stock setup than buy Stoptech.

Forgot to say that I got it from Mr Bill P

OP
OP
R

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've looked at the Stop Tech alternative and agree they're a great product, but I need to keep the car stock so I can run in the Stock II class of the Viper Days series for 2003. After the 2003 season I'll probably get the Stop Techs but until then I need a solution to keep the brakes cool. Besides keeping my right foot to the ground :LOL What other brake duct solutions are there?
-Jonathan

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by REDSLED:
I need to keep the car stock so I can run in the Stock II class of the Viper Days series for 2003.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Two piece vained rotors will cool the brakes and don't add any points.

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score

changing the rotors will bump you up to Super Stock.Even though they are a 0-point item it is still changing the car from it's stock form.You may only change alignment settings add 5/6 point seat belts install different compound brake pads and add cooling ducts.Anything else will bump you up to the next class even if it is a 0-point modification.

As for the CONE COOLERS I have seen them installed and they do look good and should work quite well.

Tech inspector Viper days.

OP
OP
R

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Tom, that's exactly what I was looking for! I want to do everything possible to keep my brakes cool, but want to keep the car eligible for the Stock II class. So I guess removing the rear muffler and replacing it with straight pipes would also move me up to super stock? Thaks to ALL who have responded and plan to respond.

-Jonathan

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ok let's start some trouble with Tom. I know I'm gonna regret this, but Viperdays.com doesn't say anything about rotor upgrades putting you into another class.

Wait a minute, why am I argueing this? Jon, it's your fight.

DonMc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I put one on my 00 ACR. In fact, i know Henry real well and i was the test ***** for the directions!! I was very happy with the kit and the instructions are great for step by step directions. It looks a bit scary to pull off the fascia but it is really pretty easy, i installed the whole thing in about 1/2 day. The thing i really like about Cone's Coolers is that they require NO tapping into the a-arms for mounting of the ducts at the rotor. The front scoops are almost invisible when done and it blocks almost none of the radiator space. I have noticed that my pads (brakeman #3) now last longer but more important the inside pad now wears at the same rate as the outer pad. Before the inner was always more worn than outer when i changed them.

OP
OP
R

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey Chuck I was thinking the same thing. How can 0 points move me up, but Tom should know as he's the one inspecting! I've also been informed that there may not be a Stock II class for the 2003 season.
eek.gif
Anyone here about that? Skip, Courtney?
I like what I've read about the Cone Kit, so I'll be calling www.partsrack.com to get one.
smile.gif

-Jonathan

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck 98 RT/10:
Ok let's start some trouble with Tom. I know I'm gonna regret this, but Viperdays.com doesn't say anything about rotor upgrades putting you into another class.

Wait a minute, why am I argueing this? Jon, it's your fight.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Personally I don't think Tom knows what he's talking about
supergrin.gif
. He even told me at TWS I was marginal on my front tread, some cheater must of paid him off. (I ended up needing new front tires before the end of the event
smile.gif
)

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Gawd, I hope he doesn't look at my tread. I figure if I don't see any silver then I'm good to go.

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Note to self Ron and Chuck don't pass tech.Now to clear things up.All the 0-point items are sponsers that is why they are no points.You could have a 96-00 gts with stop tech rotors corsa exhaust stainless steel brake lines K@N filters smooth tubes and a roll bar.point wise you have 2 points but a much greater advantage over a car with only brakeman #3 pads and brake cooling ducts.I will see about have this a little clearer on th viper days web site.if anyone has any questions about the classification please feel free to contact me at [email protected] .Ron the first event isn't that far away
smile.gif

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Novices, cheap, fast, better than nothing, Porsche brake ducts.

Henry Cone "over-engineered" and tested this product, as did 5-6 other Viper Days drivers. Those that tested temps with paint and ptyrometers estimate that 150-200 degrees were taken off of 1000-1100 degree rotor temps vs unducted.

$349 for entire kit, excellent instructions, and guaranteed to work. In Stock from PartsRack.

Nobody is getting rich on Henry's labor of love, but it MIGHT just keep you from going off track !

Henry Cone

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for all of the compliments (I think!!) on the Cone Cooling Kit. We too started with the Porsche air deflectors on our cars - and soon found them to be inadequate. Since we had an extreme set of circumstances on our cars (namely trying to go very fast in Super Stock class at Viper Days where we were essentially required to run with stock calipers and stock diameter rotors) I became determined to come up with a way to cool the front brakes better. Castrol SRF and titanium pistons cured any fluid boiling problems but I was going through brake pads like crazy. I went through about every possible combination of different stock diameter rotors searching for a solution. My conclusion was that without additional cooling air flow no rotor by itself was going to be adequate.

I looked around to see what was available with the specific restriction that I did not want to cut the front fascia in any way. Not being happy with what I found (the alternatives that I found were too expensive and / or required cutting the fascia) I decided to develop my own. The Cone Cooling Kit is the result.

We tested it for most of this past Viper Days season with great results. Lower rotor temperatures with the resultant increase in pad life!! So I decided to make it available for others and started Twice Bitten motorsports as a very part time business to manufacture it. I don't want to have to deal with the hassle of retail sales so PartsRack is handling that for us.

As Don McDaniel mentions the biggest perceived obstacle to installing the kit is removing the front fascia. It really is not as hard as it seems - I provide very detailed instructions in the kit.

I hope that this helps. Sorry to be away from the message board fro so long but work travel and family issues have kept me away....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang