Confirmed: LEDs can be turned off

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So in the Gen V thread MoparBoy started, a few had asked about the LEDs and if they can be disabled. So I contacted Ralph and wrote back he would check with the engineers and get back to me. Well I just got this...

'@RalphGilles: “@BstInTheWorld19: Hey Ralph alot of viper owners want to know if the LEDs can be disabled.” Confirmed they can turned off!'

--RS

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny, he is correct, it's just a matter of turning the key off...

Yet the reply implies that they can be turned off while the car is running, but regarding turning the DRL / daytime running lights off while in motion, that's obviously not legal depending where legally required to have on (and some places depending on the weather conditions)..

I think some folks are acting sort of dumb, why would you want to turn them off, it's a safety feature, not only for yourself, but for other folks on the road to avoid accidents!!

Cheers,
Mike

Last edited:

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As soon as you pull the parking brake up slightly, it turns them off. Just like the GEN III/IV do when DRL is activated. Not sure what the big deal people have with DRLs anyway. They do help others to see the car. Those complaining need to work harder in their lives or something. I mean what a completely pointless thing to worry about.

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol. Its amazing how idiotic some of the posts and comments around here are. Some of you complain and post the stupidest sh*t, but youre b*tching about others complaing about how they dont like the looks of something. I cant stand the way they look. Guess I should keep my opinion to myself on an open forum about a car we all like? Nope. Isnt going to happen. I'll complain about anything I want, just like youre complaining about my complaining. Guess you need to worker harder.

As soon as you pull the parking brake up slightly, it turns them off. Just like the GEN III/IV do when DRL is activated. Not sure what the big deal people have with DRLs anyway. They do help others to see the car. Those complaining need to work harder in their lives or something. I mean what a completely pointless thing to worry about.

Last edited:

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Austin,

I'm no design guru but I'd rather have then on the top to outline the fenders leading edge and give the car an angry brow look. Would love to be able to swap the LED's from top to bottom or bottom to top to suit personal tastes.....shouldn't take more than an electronic flip of the switch.

Cheers,
George

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol. Its amazing how idiotic some of the posts and comments around here are. Some of you complain and post the stupidest sh*t, but youre b*tching about others complaing about how they dont like the looks of something. I cant stand the way they look. Guess I should keep my opinion to myself on an open forum about a car we all like? Nope. Isnt going to happen. I'll complain about anything I want, just like youre complaining about my complaining. Guess you need to worker harder.

Agreed. They were not put on as a safety feature, I can't believe people believe that. We aren't near the autobahn, standard daytime running lamps are sufficient. It just so happens that this metrosexual fad happens to be functional. If it wasn't popular, they wouldn't be on the car.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed. They were not put on as a safety feature, I can't believe people believe that. We aren't near the autobahn, standard daytime running lamps are sufficient. It just so happens that this metrosexual fad happens to be functional. If it wasn't popular, they wouldn't be on the car.

That doesn't sound very bright..

V10lover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
LEDs,

What a pointless crap to worry about... Like Moundir said, just pull the freaking fuse.

Please care about the engine, tranny, rear end and other important things rather than those R!ce lights.

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
From all the pictures they seem very silly, feminine and faddish. I do not like them on the Audi or anything else. It's not that they are LED's, but when they are in a line they look like a necklace of some sort. I am buying the GTS and have been studying what to do. The best solution that I thought of is to create a frosted plexi-glass strip to go under the lens eliminating the sparkle/dotted necklace effect. If they were turned off, you would just see a frosted trim. Maybe a black strip would look good too. Anything to take that twinkle effect away.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From all the pictures they seem very silly, feminine and faddish. I do not like them on the Audi or anything else. It's not that they are LED's, but when they are in a line they look like a necklace of some sort. I am buying the GTS and have been studying what to do. The best solution that I thought of is to create a frosted plexi-glass strip to go under the lens eliminating the sparkle/dotted necklace effect. If they were turned off, you would just see a frosted trim. Maybe a black strip would look good too. Anything to take that twinkle effect away.

Agreed.

As for DRL, safety? Seriously? Maybe in the gloom and doom of a northern overcast sky there might be a minuscule safety benefit (although I doubt it, I grew up in northern Illinois) but in the sunny south they are annoying. I swear, if that worthless government organization the NTHSA recommended all drivers to wear padded bras there would be a substantial number of blind faithful supporting it. Pun intended.

Follow the money. Cars don't have TPMS, backup cameras, TC, etc. because of some bleeding heart safety conscientious philanthropst.

Last edited:

99t1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Austin's bellyaching all day about the aesthetics of running lights is one thing but the sheer ignorance of the function of a running light and the measurable safety benefit is appalling. With closing speeds that are so far beyond what other people on the road expect as they glance to make a turn...go ahead turn em off you monkeys and drive much faster!

...lets get back to crying about the ride height.

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I "bellyache" about more than just the LED's when it comes to the new GEN V, you just seem to be paying attention to just the LED's for some reason? Not once have I said they arent for safety, you ******. Ive only brought up the point that THE ONES ON THE VIPER look goofy. Have YOU seen the new ones IN PERSON? I have. They dont look that great in person either. I dont care if the car has LED's, it is the fact that they over-used them and that they look like feminine eyelashes. Secondly, on top of that, the frontend is a little wonky looking, with the LED's and wonky frontend, it just starts to look way too goofy. Just remember 99t1, ITS AN OPEN FORUM. BELLYACHE = OPINIONS

I'll remember to call you out on your "bellyaching" the next time you post something you dont like. Just for the record, I still like the GEN V, and want one, but there are a few things I dont care for on it. Just like when the SRT came out. I hated it, but I absolutely LOVE IT now.

Austin's bellyaching all day about the aesthetics of running lights is one thing but the sheer ignorance of the function of a running light and the measurable safety benefit is appalling. With closing speeds that are so far beyond what other people on the road expect as they glance to make a turn...go ahead turn em off you monkeys and drive much faster!...lets get back to crying about the ride height.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed.

As for DRL, safety? Seriously? Maybe in the gloom and doom of a northern overcast sky there might be a minuscule safety benefit (although I doubt it, I grew up in northern Illinois) but in the sunny south they are annoying. I swear, if that worthless government organization the NTHSA recommended all drivers to wear padded bras there would be a substantial number of blind faithful supporting it. Pun intended.

Follow the money. Cars don't have TPMS, backup cameras, TC, etc. because of some bleeding heart safety conscientious philanthropst.

Chuck,

One of the problems of DLR's in sunny conditions is they can make a vehicle "disappear" if the vehicle is cresting a hill, bright sun is behind it and the DRL's are white in color and bright. Very dangerous when trying to cross a hiway either in the morning or evening depending on the suns angle. This type of "camo" has been used to hide military equipment in the old days before thermal imaging, etc.

Cheers,
George

supersnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am sure that were ever DRL's are mandated the factory will have them turned on like they did in previous Vipers. Other than that, I presume they will be turned off unless the owner wants them on and in previous Vipers, It is as simple as hooking up the scanner and turn them off/on.:D:D

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm personally not into the LED's. They take away from the front end IMO by replacing the fogs. They also seem trendy to me. If I wanted LED's, I'd buy an Audi. :) Some like the LED's in place of the fogs....and that's fine too.

Everyone has an opinion....like this, dislike that....whatever. If we didn't voice it, we wouldn't have a Gen V that has A LOT of stying cues from the Gen II's. I LOVE everything except the front facia....not menacing enough by comparison of other generations IMO. Bring me the VOLADO front clip. :)

Not that feedback is going to change the Gen V at this point, but they're listening. I crave for customer feedback in my business regardless of how minor/major things seem to be.

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That doesn't sound very bright..

... if that worthless government organization the NTHSA recommended all drivers to wear padded bras there would be a substantial number of blind faithful supporting it. Pun intended.

Two very good puns... I absolutely respect that! :D

Since it is a fad, it only makes sense they would design it to be disabled. Vipers are timeless in my opinion and I don't want to see that change now.
My gen1 is like the old 427 cobra... curves and sidepipes baby... still look good after all these years.
I'm sure they will be able to be turned off in the GenV.
Mike

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I remember people ********, when the center mounted third brake light became mandatory. "OMG, this messes up the styling of the rear end, what ever are we going to do?"

On the Gen2, it was blended in with Sneaky Pete, and actually looked cool.

Another sea change came with the requirement of 5 mph bumpers, for a while they looked awful, now we don't even think about them. Look at the 1972 Vette, with its pointy front end, and thin metal chrome strips that wrapped around it, mostly like a piece of trim. They couldn't protect anything! But they did look better than the bulky, plasticy looking appendages that adorned the 1973 Vette.

Although LED strings are not mandatory, I don't see them as a problem, it's just that the world keeps moving on, styles keep changing.

On the other hand, I play blues that is dozens of years old, because I prefer it!

Vic
Founding and only member of the
"Ornamental Metal Bumper Society"

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As for DRL, safety? Seriously?

A quote from the internets below.. and if anything they're surely better than having candles for lights like they did in the seventeenth century with horse drawn carriages, yes you wouldn't like that either since those horses even had anti lock brakes, traction control with an organic brain practically uncontrollable by the driver (drive-by-reins instead of drive-by-wire) and running on sustainable energy.. not that you would remember.. :pbt: :D

Nearly all published reports indicate DRLs reduce multiple-vehicle daytime crashes. A study examining the effect of Norway's DRL law from 1980 to 1990 found a 10 percent decline in daytime multiple-vehicle crashes. A Danish study reported a 7 percent reduction in DRL-relevant crashes in the first 15 months after DRL use was required and a 37 percent decline in left-turn crashes. In a second study covering 2 years and 9 months of Denmark's law, there was a 6 percent reduction in daytime multiple-vehicle crashes and a 34 percent reduction in left-turn crashes. A 1994 Transport Canada study comparing 1990 model year vehicles with DRLs to 1989 vehicles without them found that DRLs reduced relevant daytime multiple-vehicle crashes by 11 percent.
In the United States, a 1985 Institute study determined that commercial fleet passenger vehicles modified to operate with DRLs were involved in 7 percent fewer daytime multiple-vehicle crashes than similar vehicles without DRLs. A small-scale fleet study conducted in the 1960s found an 18 percent lower daytime multiple-vehicle crash rate for DRL-equipped vehicles. Multiple-vehicle daytime crashes account for about half of all police-reported crashes in the United States. A 2002 Institute study reported a 3 percent decline in daytime multiple-vehicle crash risk in nine US states concurrent with the introduction of DRLs.

Last edited:

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
****** = Funny. What is the formal definition of an ******?

I'm glad you asked...

****** -
A person, of either gender, whose behavior displays such ignorance/obnoxiousness that you would like to make them wear their own ass as a hat.

Usage: "Can you believe that my boss is making me stay until 9 pm on a Friday!?" "What an ******."

You must be registered for see images attach

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A quote from the internets below.. and if anything they're surely better than having candles for lights like they did in the seventeenth century with horse drawn carriages, yes you wouldn't like that either since those horses even had anti lock brakes, traction control with an organic brain practically uncontrollable by the driver (drive-by-reins instead of drive-by-wire) and running on sustainable energy.. not that you would remember.. :pbt: :D

Nearly all published reports indicate DRLs reduce multiple-vehicle daytime crashes. A study examining the effect of Norway's DRL law from 1980 to 1990 found a 10 percent decline in daytime multiple-vehicle crashes. A Danish study reported a 7 percent reduction in DRL-relevant crashes in the first 15 months after DRL use was required and a 37 percent decline in left-turn crashes. In a second study covering 2 years and 9 months of Denmark's law, there was a 6 percent reduction in daytime multiple-vehicle crashes and a 34 percent reduction in left-turn crashes. A 1994 Transport Canada study comparing 1990 model year vehicles with DRLs to 1989 vehicles without them found that DRLs reduced relevant daytime multiple-vehicle crashes by 11 percent.
In the United States, a 1985 Institute study determined that commercial fleet passenger vehicles modified to operate with DRLs were involved in 7 percent fewer daytime multiple-vehicle crashes than similar vehicles without DRLs. A small-scale fleet study conducted in the 1960s found an 18 percent lower daytime multiple-vehicle crash rate for DRL-equipped vehicles. Multiple-vehicle daytime crashes account for about half of all police-reported crashes in the United States. A 2002 Institute study reported a 3 percent decline in daytime multiple-vehicle crash risk in nine US states concurrent with the introduction of DRLs.

Yeah Mikey, I've seen reports like those. In fact, those look so familiar they might have been done by the same people that did these studies...

Nearly all published reports indicate marijuana is a gateway drug. Virtually all users of ****** started with marijuana. Virtually all users of ****** ate mashed potatoes too. Therefore anyone who eats mashed potatoes is at an increased risk of doing ******.

That is a fact and something needs to be done about mashed potatoes. We need more government.

Here's another study...

Nearly all published reports indicate the exponential increase in road rage and "going postal" events over the past decade can be directly attributed to all the stupid crap like DRLs and TC the government forces Americans to buy.

Hey, don't kill the messenger. I'm just passing factual information along.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang