Considering a Viper Again - Feedback wanted.

SpeedThrills

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got out of a SL65 and considering going back to the Viper. I owned a Black 06 and was disappointed by a few things that actually lead me to sell the car to a friend 5 weeks after taking delivery.

1) The gearing - I found the gearing ratio to be frustratingly long and I would always be saying to myself if this car just had closer ratios it would make such a difference.

2) Shift Throws - The shift throws were much to long for a car of this type.

3) HEAT - Being in Cali I found this car to produce more heat than a viking 8 burner stove. Top up or down I was getting heat coming through the cabin fighting a fierce battle with the horribly powered AC. Reminded me of driving my 69 427 Vette. Unless I was on PCH I was boiling in that car.

I knew 1 & 2 could be fixed with mods but I was just so unimpressed with the car ( just got out of a GT2 so I'm sure that didn't help) when my good friend asked to buy it I agreed.

Now that I got that off my chest I would like to know how the 08 compares. I know the technicals and have read most of the road tests ect an I am impressed. Just would like to hear the user experience from an actual user and hopefully a few that came out of the older model and now have the 08.

Last question is if anyone has ordered the Aero package and might have a picture of it.

Much appreciated!

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Number 3 could have been fixed with mods too, but that has been done by the factory in the 08.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went from an 06 to an 08 and can report that the heat issue has been greatly improved. I am in the Pacific NW and it is still winter/early spring temps here but I have actually had to turn on the heat in my 08 on several occasions. After "sprited" driving -- ahem -- the car still warms up in th ecabin but nowhere near what my 06 did.

Regarding gearing, I find the 08 gearing to be pretty good and the new power in the engine almost makes gearing a nonissue. For example, redlining in 3rd puts you at around 130 mph (not that I know this from personal experience or condone that sort of driving on public roads). On a related note, you can now drive to 60 mph entirely in 1st gear which is nice.

Regarding shift throws, they are much more smooth and precise. They do feel a little shorter than the 06 but to be honest I don't feel that there is as huge a difference as others have reported.

Overall, have been very happy with the upgrade to an 08.

/Rich

OP
OP
S

SpeedThrills

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks! Feedback is much appreciated. Also does anyone knows the details of the aero group option. I received the dealer option build sheet and it's not even listed.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The Aero Group is essentially just the Wing and front splitter. Lists for $6500 and ( code APY ) and if not already on a car it would not be available. All cars for 2008 are allocated, and none can be ordered at this time ---- though some Dealers have cars incoming.

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Type aero group in the search feature of this site. You should get what your looking for from previous posts.

OP
OP
S

SpeedThrills

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like the Aero option would have to be ordered for an 09 car if they are no longer taking orders for 08. Don't me me wrong I wasn't bashing the 06 just pointing out why I sold it. For the $ is was and still is a fantastic car with a head turn factor to boot. With the 08 mods and added HP I think I'm sold.

PET SNAKE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
SpeedThrill's, Mercede's is the best built car hand's down !!
The viper is a totally different beast....
A good toy to have fun with, try the 08 viper you'll like it!!
And I hope that wasn't the new SL 65 you sold for a viper your gonna be very sad....
Buy the new CL65 and get the new viper and you'll have alot of fun!!!

PET SNAKE.................

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For example, redlining in 3rd puts you at around 130 mph (not that I know this from personal experience or condone that sort of driving on public roads). On a related note, you can now drive to 60 mph entirely in 1st gear which is nice.

/Rich
;):2tu::D 'Nuff said.

ASPIRATIONS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He is probably not the first to sell a car because it wasn't right for HIM.:omg:..I would like to have his cash to be able to try all different kinds of sports car it must be fun...

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
lol.......I was thinking of selling my viper because I was gonna lose my house and everything else I have, but i have decided to keep it so i will not get abused on this site......:rolaugh:

j/k

snakeplissken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you need to be talked into a 08 Viper after having a 06 than you shouldn't be buying one.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Viper's cabin heat problem is the gov. approved/required catilytic convertor. Upgrade to a Hi-flow and that problem is solved.

The long (?) throw shifter is so that women can also drive it and the gear selection is easier to see by the shifter's position. Hurst and B&M both make good short throw shifters. If you want an easier modification, buy a shorter shifter knob/stick.

The gear ratio is a compromize and that's why you get 6 gears. Some people change the rear axle gears because they want to use 6th gear at slower speeds instead of driving in 5th. I have a supercharger and with the 3.07s it saves an extra shift just before the end of the quarter mile. Positive Displacement sc also makes enough torque that I drive in 6th gear all the time.

Factory equipment is pretty good, except for the Cats. The extra $60,000 you save should allow as many mods as you need to make it exactly the way you want it, except faster?

Ted

Burntrubber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I guess it depends on what you want the car for.
a viper is basically a smoothed over race car...see the post on "audi R8 vs. Viper"
A mercedes is a luxury car, which are built with a good fit & finish, but also happen to have the worst reliability ratings for the last 10 years.

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In my 05 Comm. Edition I switched to the Belangers, high flow cats, and got rid of the cross over exhaust, no heat issues now!. Short throw shifter made all the difference in the world. I S/C'd the car and have 3:55's with PS 2's.....and wouldn't look back. The acceleration is incredible!!!!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1) The gearing - I found the gearing ratio to be frustratingly long and I would always be saying to myself if this car just had closer ratios it would make such a difference.

2) Shift Throws - The shift throws were much to long for a car of this type.

"frustratingly long?"
"car of this type?"

The Viper is not the car for you. Get a Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche or even a Vett. You'll be much, much happier. Those car's gear ratios are pleasantly and comfortably short and the shift throws are perfect for cars of that type. You can even get paddles!!!

And I think a bottle of Dom and a block of cheese come with every purchase, except maybe the Vett.

Westxsrt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
as for #3...I owned a 07 Z06 for a six months and i can tell you my 08 Viper is has far less cabin heat. :2tu:

--------------
08 Viper gts blue coupe, Belanger header/exhaust system
05 SRT-10 RC Ram, modded
03 Hemi QC Ram
08 Ford F250 Super Duty CrewCab V-10 4x4

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960