cool info about OEM amps-

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have upgraded my door speakers and added a sub to my 94RT. I am using a new aftermarket amp to drive these and just disconnected the OEM amps and rear speakers. I am now redoing my seats and while they were out decided to put new speakers in the rear. I don't have anymore room in the trunk (NOS bottle and big amp) without cluttering it, so I took the OEM amps out and looked them over. These are alpine amps and can be set to mono if you remove the plate that prohibits the switch from being moved. Then remove the other plate holding the gain adjust switch. My headunit has (3) RCA's out and an internal passive crossover so I ran one RCA to each amp, switched the amps to mono and adjusted the gains for the best sound. They work great!! These little amps really are not bad with good speakers.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I notice you use the term amp"s".

Did GENI's come with two amps or are you referring to two amps in one case?

Can you post a picture?

Thanks!

OP
OP
D

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
gen 1's got (2) amps on eather side of the truck. One for the front componets, one for the rear speakers. It looks like DC "tuned" the stereo's then put the plated around the switches so you could not adjust. Not much to look at, but I'll take some photos tonight.

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting Danny!! I will have to take a look at them little babies when I get some new door speakers.

Do you need 5 auxillary batteries for all the amps and gadgets in your car? Just messing with ya!

Did you get a new battery yet?

OP
OP
D

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got a new battery, but the volt meter still is hoovering around 15 volts. I am going to check the regulator on the alternator this weekend. I don't want to boil my battery!!

I am pretty sure the gen 2 amp is simular and has the locks over the switches.

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
G2 Amps are like most OEM aps. Useless to the car audio buff. They have a DIN style input from the headunit. I installed my new amp using 90% of the factory wiring. Sounds alot better. The V drive amp I put in even fist in the factory bracket with MINOR adjustment.

I only had to run new RCAs (I added an aftermarket head unit as well)
You must be registered for see images

Gen 1s are alot easier to upgrade with but Gen 2s are easy as all the wiring is there. The amps in GIIs are not very useable with a NON facotry head. There is also a single amp.

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its a battle. Less exhaust more stereo. Id put on my headset like in Iron Eagle, but head sets are illiegal to drive with.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960