Cooler thermostat

datruodb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone running a cooler thermostat? My car usually runs right at 200F. In the past I have run cooler thermostats in other cars. Didn't know if this was an option or not.

MikeG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live in Central Texas. I have a 2002 GTS and run a cooler thermostat. Also had the fan adjusted. Had to. The car simply ran too hot when driving 35 and below, or when idling for very long. I've never had issues running the cooler thermostat. I know the boys in Detroit frown on this, but I really don't think they fully appreciate how "Friggen" hot it gets down here in July and August. Just my 2 cents.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A cooler t-stat in and of itself does little to nothing. Been there done that. I can attest to a cooler t-stat + SCT tune to turn on the fan sooner (lower temp) does work well. Adding additional airflow through the engine bay in addition to the stat and tune helps too.

OP
OP
D

datruodb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. My car runs around 210, but would like for it to run a bit cooler. Did you have a custom tune made for it, or does it just allow you to change perimeters to the car? What brand is it? Thanks in advance Rob

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is your car a gen3? When I got my gen3 I put in a 170 tstat, K&N, Corsa, and a DC tune, I was very happy the result. Picked up 3mph in the quarter, and it ran way cooler with that combo. I don't know how effective it'd be to only change the tstat, I've always heard that it's not recommended without a tune on PCM/ECM cars, but that's 2nd hand info.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DC is for DC Performance, I got my tune from Dan. They're great. It loads with and SCT tuner like others. There are many out there I think, I've just known about Dan for a looong time as a go to SRT perf shop.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you do it and live where the winters get cold, I would recommend getting another tune for the winter. While I loved the tune and cooler temps overall, the car wouldnt heat up enough in cold weather. Whenever you run the car the oil needs to get to operating temp to burn all impurities and water out of the oil. At least that is what I heard.

OP
OP
D

datruodb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cold in winter???? Ppppfffffff I'm in Dallas! It does get down to freezing sometimes, but I won't be driving it then. Any recommendations on a tune and a handheld to install it with?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang