corsa vs stock exhaust heat question

porschebreath

Viper Owner
Reaction score
After driving my viper in ninety degree weather , i am wondering if there is a big difference in heat inside the cabin vs stock. I want to get a corsa exhaust after reading all the great comments about it. Thanks

fqberful

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You don't specify the Gen, but on a GenIII if you drop the cats and the cross over [ et al MOPAR race exhaust ] there's no longer a need to run the AC when it's 55'F outside and the side sills stay cool. On our nice ****** and humid FL days, the AC blows cold, we are quite comfortable and my wife doesn't burn her legs getting in/out either.

--FQB

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The Year Matters!

CORSA has done extensive temp tests on Stock vs Corsa Viper systems.

Waaay Cooler. Well over 100 degrees cooler, depending on YEAR. HiFlow cats Cool it even more.

JonB~~~~~:<~

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Corsa Track on mine and it is a good step toward reducing interior temps, but the cats are a major source of heat as Jon pointed out. I find that directing the A/C controls to the lower outlet (leg/foot) is a good idea on this car since the floor area is the prime source of the heat entering (with the top up). Also keep that A/C fully charged! It would be interesting to experiment with some of the space age heat blocking materials now commonly available-- add the material above the cats and under the carpets themselves. Some of the vendors here sell improved insulation wraps for the sills, might be a good idea to investigate/install while you are changing the exhaust.

The stock crossover pipes throw additional heat into the cockpit floor from behind the seats, so removing the crossover is a common step to reduce heat and weight, and all but one aftermarket exhaust for the Gen III removes the crossover setup completely. I believe B&B still utilizes a crossover, which has the advantage of combining sound from both cylinder banks out both sidepipes (you hear 10 cylinders out each side instead of just five).

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I had the carpet out to clean it during my roll bar installation I installed some noise/heat reduction mats (Dynamat) and it is amazing how much difference it has made in road noise and heat reduction. Sure, the car is now 40 pounds heavier, but I'm not trying to set any speed records. It is significantly cooler.

I have the Corsa Track on mine and it is a good step toward reducing interior temps, but the cats are a major source of heat as Jon pointed out. I find that directing the A/C controls to the lower outlet (leg/foot) is a good idea on this car since the floor area is the prime source of the heat entering (with the top up). Also keep that A/C fully charged! It would be interesting to experiment with some of the space age heat blocking materials now commonly available-- add the material above the cats and under the carpets themselves. Some of the vendors here sell improved insulation wraps for the sills, might be a good idea to investigate/install while you are changing the exhaust.

The stock crossover pipes throw additional heat into the cockpit floor from behind the seats, so removing the crossover is a common step to reduce heat and weight, and all but one aftermarket exhaust for the Gen III removes the crossover setup completely. I believe B&B still utilizes a crossover, which has the advantage of combining sound from both cylinder banks out both sidepipes (you hear 10 cylinders out each side instead of just five).

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Sorry, I have a 2003 viper, thanks.

You are IN LUCK! Why? The 2003 SRT10 had less insulation, and a crossover heat-soaking exhaust. Of ALL years of Vipers, the 2003 will benefit the most from eliminating the OE crossover style exhaust {like having baseboard space heaters on rear bulkhead} with a hi-flow exhaust. And cats are even cooler still.

And you lose 24 lbs of mid-ship weight.
And you pick up about 17-20 HP.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had hi flo cats with stock cross overs and then stock cats without crossovers. Removing the crossovers did a lot more for the heat removal than the cat change did. Theoretically it doesn't make sense. I would have sworn the stock cats were more the culprit than the crossovers but my expensive experiment proved me wrong. Removing the crossovers will do the most for heat reduction but you will get spitting upon startup and more exhaust noise. You don't have to go to Corsas be rid of crossovers. You can get a used Gen IV setup or just get the exhaust tips and swap them on your existing exhaust.

FangZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can get a used Gen IV setup or just get the exhaust tips and swap them on your existing exhaust.

What he said. Get a used Gen IV exhaust and eliminate your crossover. I have done it on my 2004 and it DRASTICALLY reduces the heat in the cabin and of the side sills.

c65491

Viper Owner
Reaction score
mine is gen 4 , and the door sills are H.O.T. would the corsa help ?

rvansnick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got my Corsa Cat back exhaust installed last week and what a difference. Mark and Bill of Woodhouse reccomended the Corsa and I could not be happier. I ordered mine from Woodhouse and it arrived 2 days later, all the way to Canada. The increase in sound is really cool and there is no deafning drone noise. The first thing I noticed was how much cooler the car was not only the interior temp but also the sill area. i have only driven a couple of times but there is a huge difference in temperature. The tech at the local Dodge dealership commented on how well everything fitted and the quality of the Corsa cat back system. They charged me 4 hours labour to install and it was worth every penny. I may install the High flow cats as my next addition but have to be careful not to get too loud as the wife will start nagging. I will try and take a video of it and post on here as I know there are not many videos around comparing the stock and the Corsa Cat back.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
4 hours is about normal for the Gen. IV. The stock Gen III takes a little longer due to the R&R of the belly pan and removal of the crossover. I was quoted $500 for the install and decided to do it myself. I used the $500 I saved towards the purchase of a new 3D TV. :)

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Did you guys tack weld the exhaust. Just wondering since i'm going to do the install.Flex how hard was the install?

rvansnick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tech I used, tack welded the exhaust, just tacked it in a couple of spots, He also said the install was relatively easy. I did have to go and check the clearances on the exit pipes though before he buttoned it up. I had him move them forward another 1/8 inch for expansion as per the instructions from Corsa. i am glad I did as the exhaust swells up when heated and the tailpipes are almost centered when hot and then move ahead to about 1/4 inch of the front of the sill opening.

SteveD

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I put the corsa exhaust on mine with the cats in place and no need for air. In addition, the exhaust sounds much better. I've heard that it drop's the temp around 70 degrees and I believe it.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Did you guys tack weld the exhaust. Just wondering since i'm going to do the install.Flex how hard was the install?

Install is relatively easy once you get the sills off (several previous threads on this subject). Takes a little longer if you have a Gen. III due to the removal of the belly pan and crossover. Once the Corsa is installed, you'll have to do a few "takes" on the position of the tips relative to the sill openings. The instructions even provides some rough dimensions for tip alignment. I recommend a tack weld at the clamp connections. Also, make sure you have a good torque wrench to tighten the TORCA clamps to 45 ft/lbs (DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN!!!).

Let me know when you're ready and I can provide you with my cell phone number should you need advice during the install.

Last edited: