Cost of a good nitrous set up

dyeguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What have you guys paid for your nitrous kits (and install if you didn't do it yourself)? Did you have to have it retuned and if so how much did it cost? Are you running it with or without the Vec 2? Thanks

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im running it with the vec2. i probably could have done it for $1500 if i didnt get carried away with powdercoating and thought ahead and didnt need to pay overnite UPS on so many things..lol

ive tuned it 3 times since it went in just for fun and safety

trainville

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I'm also running with the Vec 2 ($1,000 itself). I bought the wet 200hp kit from Nitrous Express (NX) and the entire kit cost $600. I fabricated my own smooth tubes and solenoid brackets and did all the plumbing and wiring myself. Other than a set of colder spark plugs, those were the only costs for me.

If you know a little about wiring and are patient, you can do it yourself. And the Vec 2 is awesome as a nitrous trigger. I believe PLUMCRAZY and I both use the Vec 2 to trigger the nitrous ONLY at wide open throttle and ONLY between certain RPM's (3300-5200). This way you don't have to use that cheasy micro switch the kit comes with.

But then again, PLUMCRAZY has a really bitchin custom-painted, dual-tank setup in the rear. I'm only using the 10 lb. tank the NX kit came with.

Oh, and one other expense you will HAVE to have is a bottle heater. A good one will cost you a couple hundred bucks. Good luck!

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
right on the mark.

the VEC2 does all the work and does it well for me. I bought the VEC2 used on this site i think for $500.

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I paid $1200 for my setup which included another 10# bottle, a really bitchin' dual tank holder and a second bottle heater. I like to live dangerously, so I opted not to have a window switch or vec2 like Phil. Strangely enough, I do have a brand new, never used window switch but I always kept my eye on the tach and when the motor was at a certain rpm, I went to WOT. I have since sold my Gen1 but I still have my NX system complete with all kinds of different size jets and even a lighted purge! Make me an offer!!

00SVTdubs

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so the vec2 does the wot switch and the rpm window? Nice! I didnt know it did both. So all you really need is the bottles, solonoids, nozzels, the lines and the wiring correct? I bet it can be done for under $2k installed and tuned with a vec2. not a bad bang for the buck if you ask me. Cheepest way to a 10 second slip if you have a drag radial out back!

00SVTdubs

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah, a buddy with a creampuff went 11.10@133 on piolets here with just a catback and 150 shot. With a good driver, I bet a 10 is possible. Mid/low tens on DR's. So with the vec2 controlling the wot and window, all you need is the bottle, heater, lines, solonoids, jets and then misc [*****] like the purge and switches correct? Id just piece a system together using parts off ebay or jegs.

trainville

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I'd recommend starting with the basic setup for $600 and adding from there (purge, heater, second bottle??, etc.). The basic NX kit comes with ALL wiring and plumbing you'll need. All the braided nitrous and fuel lines are already cut to length. Just a little easier than trying to re-invent the entire kit.

And here's a pic of where I placed my switches. This way if I ever want to return the car to stock, I just slip in the original ashtray and there's no holes cut anywhere. Good luck
7551120_2045.JPG

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
here is what i did with my switches and a light to tell me the sytem is armed as i dont want the heaters to drain my battery. it looks bone stock when the ashtray is closed. it wasnt fun doing it with a dremel though. but it came out good.

5638led_switches.JPG

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanx

im selling the smooth tubes with the bracket welded between the tubes for the solenoids if ya wanna go nitrous. the solenoids fit perfectly on it and its powdercoated black.

im gonna keep the nitrous when i do the DLM paxton but wont be able to use that piece.

trainville

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
You tap into the fuel at the right rear of the intake. There's a brass fitting with a valve-stem fitting inside. Just unscrew the valve inside the stem, and screw on the fuel line (plug and play on NX system). Here's a pic I found in PLUMCRAZY's photos. In the lower left of the photo, see where the braided line attaches? Looks like we both ran our lines under the intake, up front to the solenoids. I've seen pictures of other folks just laying the fuel line on tope of the intake, but much cleaner as shown in pic.

5638engine1.jpg

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks guys I figured that was it. Installing an NX kit seems to be quite easy. I just don't know if I could bring myself to put one on. I'll never have the money for a supercharger kit, heck I am having trouble rationalizing the 1200 bucks for a Bellanger exhaust.

I'm almost tempted to install a whimpy 75 shot and do no other mods to the car (K&Ns and tubes is all I have right now). I'd hit 485/525 or so on the dyno. That wouldnt be that awful for 650 bucks and it would make me capable of some rear view mirror shots of a new Z06.

trainville

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I guarantee once you get it installed and use it a time or two, you'll put the larger jets in it for 100 or 150 shot at least. All the jets come with the kit, so it won't cost you another nickle!

The stock fuel system will feed up to the 200 shot. Some may have even been able to squeeze more out of them. You'll ABSOLUTELY want a blanket heater. Don't even think of it as an option. Have fun,

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, I can wrench on just about anything and have done superchargers and turbos on past cars but I have yet to mess with nitrous.

With the NX kit, is this a bolt on and go package (save the bottle heater and perhaps a remote valve opener for the bottle)? I see above using the Vec2 to dial everything in, etc, but if I can get away with running a reliable 75 shot without touching anything else then I would almost entertain the idea. I also notice "tuning" above, but there is no way of doing this without a Vec 2 or the like.

So I guess that is my question: Is the NX kit all I need or is there something else I need to go along with the system?

Thank you for answering all my questions guys :2tu:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the heater & opener are options. the heater really is necessary though. the opener absolutely not. i dont have one and dont want one.

its VERY easy to install but its going to have to be tuned on a dyno for sure. if ya dont have a VEC you will still be tuning it but it will only be tuned with the jets. swapping jets in and out till you get the right A/F. NX will get you pretty close out of the box. mine was super rich on the standard jetting.

a 75 shot is going to be as reliable or dangerous as a 200 shot id think. if it isnt tuned right, you can have problems.

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My setup w/ a VEC1

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach