Could adding snyke oyl cruise control do this to a gen 1??????

Gottaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1) With the cruise control OFF driving down the highway at 60 mph the speedo jumps to 65-70 mph and back

2) Again with the cruise control off come to a complete stop and the engine just shuts off but restarts perfectly ok. I tried putting the car in neutral while do 60 mph and the rev's dropped almost to shutting off but didn't?

what the hell is wrong with my car?

I had the cruise control, power mirrors, jesel rockers, a vec 2, hurst shifter and roe's after run fan kit installed could any of this other stuff cause this?

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Couple of things.

The Snake Oyl directions that I received had an incorrect wire color identified, so you must re-verify all connections with the appropriate year service manual. Use the name of the wire i.e., speed sensor, and see what color wire the service manual identifies it, rather that the S.O. directions.

Second, the cruise control is always "on" unless you manually turn it off via pushing both remote buttons simultaniously. At next re-start, it's back on. No issue with that, but knowing that might help with your diagnosis.

Check the slack in the cruise control throttle chain. Could be an issue there too.

While you're at it, you might want to check the clutch cut out. After a few days of use (needs to learn some parameters apparently) head out to a safe area, drive at 40 MPH or so, set the cruise to hold speed and once engaged with right hand on key to be able to quickly kill engine, depress the clutch. If all is well, the revs will increase briefly then drop to idle as if the brake was tapped as the cruise hold should now be cancelled. If it doesn't disconnect, I would get it fixed as some Viper Tech test driving your car might be surprised and dump the clutch as the engine revs very quickly to redline.

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is possible that the VEC2 is causing the shutoff issue, but not the speedo problem. I have had the problems that you describe. Push clutch in and let up on the gas and the RPMs drop lower than normal idle for a moment before it recovers and sometimes it drops low enough that the car dies at stop lights.

You might try running the stock VEC2 program card that basically sets it as though it isn't even in the loop (zero'd out) and see if the dieing problem goes away or temporarily bypass the VEC2.

If you are using the VEC2 to pull a lot of fuel out at high vacuum on your fuel RPM page to stop popping in the exhaust, you might try just putting that back to zero and see if it has an affect on the problem as well.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to steal this post but are there any down sides to the after market cruise control? Besides this possible problem.

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had the Snake Oyl cruise control on my car for a couple of years now with absolutely no problems. Ron is right above when he says that there is a wrong wiring diagram shown in some of the instructions, but if you call Cory at Snake Oyl he will cheerfully walk you through it.

The unit looks like OEM when it is installed and maintains speed highly accurately. I enjoy it on long trips. :laugh:

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I second Bruce's comments. Install carefully and solder all connections and you'll be happy. Given our very offset pedals, it's a real "knee" saver on long trips. Also minimizes speed (up) creep.